Homebrew ALL 3 Methods to get unbanned from recent ban wave

Did this unban you and if so which method did?

• Total voters

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, I wanna clear up that Alex S has NOTHING to do with UnbanMii, he only was kind enough to make the video.
Now to the Explaination;
The Data was getting uploaded to our Servers for verification / banning people from using UnbanMii , and were deleted immediatley. we never intended the App to steal Data without Permission. we are sorry for not putting a Disclaimer in it. You can be sure that none of your data got saved.
we gave out the Source of 2.0 to various people, so they can proof themselves. the team apoligizes for scaring people without reason.

Having looked at the source you sent:

-More data was uploaded than was thought
-It definitely wasn't deleted immediately

Hell, your code uses the Nand CID (private information used to derive the ctrnand encryption keys) as a database key....even without malicious intention, uploading user's private data to a database you control without asking them in a closed source program is absolutely malware.

xXPaulMCXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Have you given it to people like Astro, Scrism, ihaveamac etc.? Because I don't trust a lot of developers in this community so I personally get paranoid :P
only trusted people got it.
getting banned from the service was a planned feature of 2.1. we wanted to add a GUI, aswell as the function to report a banned seed, so our system could pick the next seed from the que.
getting banned from the service would have happened, if someone reported false bans multiple times

IggyJet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How can I get rid of UnbanMii from my 3DS? I know it pretty much already got my info, but is there a way to purge it from my console? Not sure if only uninstalling it will prevent it from uploading future data

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
How can I get rid of UnbanMii from my 3DS? I know it pretty much already got my info, but is there a way to purge it from my console? Not sure if only uninstalling it will prevent it from uploading future data
Just use FBI and remove it with ticket. It won't send data as long it ain't running.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will only upload things if it is ran, so just uninstall it
edit: ninja'd

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
getting banned from the service was a planned feature of 2.1. we wanted to add a GUI, aswell as the function to report a banned seed, so our system could pick the next seed from the que.
getting banned from the service would have happened, if someone reported false bans multiple times

if your trusted people is not OUR trusted people ...u can take your 2.1 and introduce urself on....

sorry but in this moment, we dont trust on you

Powerful

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just used v1.1 today? Of course...so basically I need to uninstall unbanmii now, but do I have to remove the unbanned seed or not? Is method 3 going back to how it was for a while?

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess this shows that apps should only be trusted if they're from a trusted dev, or if they're open-sourced... Though, really @xXPaulMCXx? Was all of this really necessary?

I guess we need Avast! 3DS protection now...

IggyJet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the replies!

Also, I wanna say something that I'm not sure if it makes sense:

Back when that old public seed was banned, I was desperately looking for a seed. Someone mentioned Youtube videos, so I went ahead and found one from an old-ish video. Alright, so far so good. Then UnbanMii showed up on the same day, which was cool and I thought to myself I'd also download the seeds from UnbanMii as well in case my other one (from Youtube) got banned, just to be safe. The thing is, UnbanMii didn't work then, it froze often and gave a "failed" message sometimes.

Then, I went to the other forums where UnbanMii was being "released" (as in, they had just made the thread and stuff) and told them it wasn't working, but before I did that (they told me the servers were under maintenaince) I noticed that they mentioned they had plenty of seeds and that they were using them, something like that. So, after UnbanMii finally worked I thought I'd compare the seed I had with the one I got from UnbanMii with that Hex editor (I was using it not to waste my time injecting since most Youtube seeds are the very same and banned), and surprise surprise, the seed UnbanMii downloaded on my 3DS was the same Youtube seed I had found. Sure they could've done the same as me and looked up that seed or something, but now it all seems kinda fishy that they had the exact same seed, after saying they had plenty of seeds. At the time it never crossed my mind they could've gotten the seed from me or from someone else, but still it really sounds weird now.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok unbanmii removed from the guide and method 3 had been reverted back to its previous ways. Ounce again I am deeply sorry that this happened.
It's not your fault this happened, how were you supposed to know a 3DS homebrew (of all things) was injected with malware? This is literally the first case, so no one was expecting it... Besides, it's not like you had Avast! or AVG 3DS protection installed XD

Reactions: misterdarvus

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I do not majorly blame Sono/MarcusD for this mess. He immediately confessed when he was online and took responsibility, and shared with me the source code both for the app and the site API. It became obvious that this was intended as a security measure rather than a means of storing/collecting data. Obviously this was wrong, but again, Sono took full responsibility and apologized profusely for what he did. I know Sono well enough to know that what he did was not malicious. Here's Sono's technical writeup on what he was doing and why: https://gbatemp.net/entry/13025/

On the other hand, I do blame Paul/Alex S. Even if they weren't the ones who programmed it, they knew about it (see image dump at the end of this post), and then when shit hit the fan they tried to shift the blame to Sono and act all innocent (one again, see image dump).

I find this kind of behavior reprehensible - if you fuck up, be honest and take responsibility. You're 100% more likely to earn my trust that way than if you lie about it.

Screenshot_2017-07-28-00-57-04.png

Picture of group chat where Sono told Paul and Alex S exactly what he was doing with uploading data.

Screenshot_20170727-191415.png

Picture of Alex S trying to shift blame onto Sono.

upload_2017-7-27_21-1-47.png

Sono taking responsibility as soon as it started happening.

unknown.png

Sono being responsible and giving me the source as soon as he gets online.

Last edited by astronautlevel,

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You mention trusted people, but you do not give any names.
When something starts off as open-source and then becomes closed source, people tend to wonder why.
When the program does something unknown or unexpected for the user that isn't documented, such as uploading private console information disregarding user settings, trust is lost and people get angry.
The only way to recover even a little bit is to make any future releases open source from now on......... but I still wouldn't use it.

Last edited by Thunder Hawk,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT