Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This came up in my Youtube recommendations.

Its a bit annoying to input the cheat but now I am wondering how many times the devs used this back in the day to boot backups in secret.

@alexfree and @KleinesSinchen might be interested. Still this is amazing how they got past Sony's quality control like that after 2 decades.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That should be added to the list of potential entry points for installing FreePSXBoot/Tonyhax.

Essentially PS-X-Change on an official licensed disc.
That's what I thought as well, would make a lot of sense for users who own a copy.

Reactions: BigOnYa

alexfree

Trophies
Website
alex-free.github.io
XP
Country
United States
That should be added to the list of potential entry points for installing FreePSXBoot/Tonyhax.

Exactly, you’d want to swap in the Tonyhax international boot cd with this so that you get:
* ability to play multi disc games
* correct CDDA audio (can anyone confirm CDDA games are broken with this? I fully expect them to be).
* anti-piracy games will work correctly

If anyone can find a USA copy of this for sub 100 I’ll buy it ;)

I see there was no Japanese release for this game?

Also I fully expect this to work with a PS2 using a swap magic tool (39004 and below). Just use that once the disc drive stops…

Last edited by alexfree,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly, you’d want to swap in the Tonyhax international boot cd with this so that you get:
* ability to play multi disc games
* correct CDDA audio (can anyone confirm CDDA games are broken with this? I fully expect them to be).
* anti-piracy games will work correctly

If anyone can find a USA copy of this for sub 100 I’ll buy it ;)

I see there was no Japanese release for this game?

Also I fully expect this to work with a PS2 using a swap magic loader (39004 and below). Just use that once the disc drive stops…
I didn't even know copies go up for that much. Not surprised that its rare.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Crazy how much prices vary dependant on region... the PAL version currently goes for £15 on CeX
Like, what is the point of overpricing a game with a method that relies on unlocking the drive with lengthy button combinations? Better off getting a modchip or cheat cart for the better. I don't get it.

Reactions: BigOnYa

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lets hope they don't screw that up too. Like, what is the point of overpricing a game with a method that relies on unlocking the drive with lengthy button combinations? I don't get it.
Yeah, bizarre that a method like this would lead to this game rocketing in price but the resale value of TonyHax entrypoint titles barely changed.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, bizarre that a method like this would lead to this game rocketing in price but the resale value of TonyHax entrypoint titles barely changed.
Kinda happened to Cubic Ninja as well when modding the 3DS was new. I still remember where I had to import a copy from Italy, since there were no copies sold in the UK.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Kinda happened to Cubic Ninja as well when modding the 3DS was new. I still remember where I had to import a copy from Italy, since there were no copies sold in the UK.
I didn't care for it since I felt it would probably be new exploits coming. I were right :D

Reactions: SylverReZ

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of

Good luck finding one though. Seems like someone was tipped off before the MVG video because I can't find a used copy anywhere (except for 100s of dollars).

I just looked on the game's wikipedia page, it sold 250K copies so it really shouldn't be as rare as it is.

Last edited by zoogie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I really didn't like playing online against other people always felt like I was being matched...