Hacking AKAIO killing my battery?

Gary kiila

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never noticed any battery problems before I got my Acekard 2i ( i also haven't played it for like 2 years before I got my Acekard). Now i've notice that my batteries die less than an hour. I turned it back on after it died a little while ago and it was green( and is still on right now). Could this be AKAIO or just my battery? It's a DS Phat BTW. Im thinking of getting a new one from dealextreme for $3.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Batteries die over time, it not necessarily AKAIO. If you don't wait until the battery is completely dead before charging, its life can be cut down significantly with frequent charges.

The_JetSetBeat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
If you don't wait until the battery is completely dead before charging, its life can be cut down significantly with frequent charges.

That's not true. In fact, for the type of battery in the DS (Lithium Ion), it's suggested to charge BEFORE it's completely dead. The type of batteries you're thinking of are NiCad or NiMH batteries, which have issues with "memory" (if you charge the battery when it's half full, it may set that as the new "zero" point). With Lithium Ion batteries, you can charge whenever you want and it won't adversely affect the battery.

It sounds to me, TC, that you just need to buy a new battery. Especially if you have an older, fat DS as you stated. Flash cards generally drain the battery quicker than catridges, so you're probably just now taking notice of your shorter battery life as a result.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The_JetSetBeat said:
Hakoda said:
If you don't wait until the battery is completely dead before charging, its life can be cut down significantly with frequent charges.

That's not true. In fact, for the type of battery in the DS (Lithium Ion), it's suggested to charge BEFORE it's completely dead. The type of batteries you're thinking of are NiCad or NiMH batteries, which have issues with "memory" (if you charge the battery when it's half full, it may set that as the new "zero" point). With Lithium Ion batteries, you can charge whenever you want and it won't adversely affect the battery.
Wow. That's interesting, thanks for the tip and sorry for the false info.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
The_JetSetBeat said:
Hakoda said:

Not uncommon to be misinformed about it. Older batteries had a nasty habit of gaining a memory if you didn't drain them completely before recharging... It's not really an issue any more.

Porygon-X

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hakoda said:
The_JetSetBeat said:
Hakoda said:

I didn't know that! Great info.

That reminds me, I have to charge my DS. I couldn't play at school today because I forgot to charge it before ...

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
YayMii said:
Any DS phat nowadays has crappy battery life. It's just the way it is.
Not necessarily, my DS still has some 15 hours of playing time using an Acekard, so I wouldn't say it has a crappy battery life
biggrin.gif
(my wiimote accu's on the other hand, well they suck
tongue.gif
).

anaxs

got milk, got candy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i have a ds phat and it works just fine, i think The_JetSetBeat is right and what hes saying is true.
the thing that annoys me is that they mosty use NiCad or NiMH batteries in some phones. im not sure what they use in the ds phat but its probably one of these

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Batteries generally degrade over time flash carts do drain battery more but only an hour more than the least time estimated by nintendo, so its not that bad.

The_JetSetBeat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anaxs said:
i have a ds phat and it works just fine, i think The_JetSetBeat is right and what hes saying is true.
the thing that annoys me is that they mosty use NiCad or NiMH batteries in some phones. im not sure what they use in the ds phat but its probably one of these

All DS units (and PSP's, for that matter) use Lithium Ion batteries. Charge away!
wink.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Gary kiila said:
I've never noticed any battery problems before I got my Acekard 2i ( i also haven't played it for like 2 years before I got my Acekard). Now i've notice that my batteries die less than an hour. I turned it back on after it died a little while ago and it was green( and is still on right now). Could this be AKAIO or just my battery? It's a DS Phat BTW. Im thinking of getting a new one from dealextreme for $3.

if you are using the default install your backlight will be set to 4, which will reduce battery life. have you adjusted the back light setting to a lower level? i use mine on 2 and have never had more than 5-6 hours of gaming with my acekards, 3 if using constant wifi like clirc.

-another world

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone suggest a good place to get a replacement battery for the DS Phat?

Mine lasts about 2hrs per charge now... same with my friends.
(Though I think I have a spare battery from my first DS hanging around somewhere).

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
Gary kiila said:

if you are using the default install your backlight will be set to 4, which will reduce battery life. have you adjusted the back light setting to a lower level? i use mine on 2 and have never had more than 5-6 hours of gaming with my acekards, 3 if using constant wifi like clirc.

-another world

He's using a DS Phat theres only off and on for the backlight.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spark1223 said:
Another World said:

-another world

I thought the backlight button in AKAIO had 3 settings, so that feature only works on DSLite? (I know the backlight button does nothing in DSi)

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
spark1223 said:
Another World said:
Gary kiila said:

-another world

No some new DS phat with Nintendo firmware 5 can change backlight (I ha one of them
nyanya.gif
)

The_JetSetBeat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Can anyone suggest a good place to get a replacement battery for the DS Phat?

Mine lasts about 2hrs per charge now... same with my friends.
(Though I think I have a spare battery from my first DS hanging around somewhere).

I would just order it from Nintendo. Nice and easy.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.