AKAIO 1.2 save type help + AK2 loader question

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by stealthfire, Dec 11, 2008.

1. stealthfire
    OP

Newcomer stealthfire Member

Singapore
    I recently just changed the firmware to AKAIO 1.2

I see that there is this save type information about the roms. However, I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, I'm assuming that it mean the save size.
    When I was using the original firmware, all the save files were 512KB in size. And now, the DS tells me the the save types for the games are different, some being 64K and 2M. I tried one of the games with save type 2M, and it seems like it works.

Then, I started a totally new game with no save file. The resultant save file for the game is 512KB even through the save file type is 2M. Is something wrong?

Also, for the AK2 loader, should I put in the entire firmware or just the NDS file? Also, does the 4.12 version firmware work with the AKAIO 1.2 ?

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    AKAIO supports both the AK2 and the AKRPG, and I believe the save file sizes are mainly for the Acekard RPG as the Acekard 2 auto-detects the size of the save file.

You only need to put the .nds file on your microSD card, preferably in a folder named whatever you want (mine is named "games").

AKAIO 1.2 has an option to use external loaders, which I assume is what you're referring to in your final question. Acekard apparently changed their loader format with firmware 4.12, so AKAIO 1.2 does not work with the 4.12 loader (it does work with the 4.11 loader). But if you use the 1.3 public beta 2 version of AKAIO instead (available in the download area), it will work with the 4.12 loader.

-Bri

3. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    I suggest using the latest beta version of AKAIO as its far better than the 1.2 version and has more features and bug fixes.

4. stealthfire
    OP

Singapore
    hmm...I thought the beta version was also called drunken beta, which I though meant it has some problems or didn't work properly.

So there is no problem with all the save file sizes being 512K then?

And also about the external loader: As I know, you have to put the firmware or something into the loader file then it can load using the official frimware loader.
    However, I'm not sure if you have to put the entire firmware with everything in it or just the akmenu.NDS or some specific file.

5. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    There has been 2 betas for the lastest AKAIO, the first was the 'drunken' beta, the second was the 'sober' (or less drunk) one.

No problem with all saves being 512k, that's the same on my AK2 and DSTT (for all roms that use 512k or smaller saves that is). It auto detects the required save type for the cart but the .sav file itself is 512k for all the games I've tried.

Pretty sure you just need the .nds, someone else will be able to confirm that.

6. Bri

United States
    You don't need the entire firmware. You only need the "akmenu4.nds" file (renamed to whatever you want, but retain the .nds extension), which you put in the "ak2loader" folder. You then have to set the loader option for any games that you want to load using the new loader.

-Bri

7. Narin

United States
    The newest beta uses a save.dat file which contains information on game's save types and adjusts the saves accordingly. So saves for the most part will very in sizes depending on what the game uses and not just 512k as they were orginally. They even implemented and update feature for this file as well in the WiFi updater.

8. Tomy Sakazaki

Member Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    It really works this way now? I didn't have paid attention to this.

9. stealthfire
    OP

Singapore
  10. Tomy Sakazaki

Member Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Brazil
    Yes. The drunken one was removed a short time after released.

11. Bri

United States
    Isn't the data file only used for the RPG (doesn't the Acekard 2 auto-detect the save size)?

-Bri

12. Narin

United States
    It has an auto-detect option as well.

13. Bri

United States
    I'll let Smiths or Normmatt give the definitive answer, but I thought that file was only used for the RPG.

-Bri

14. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    For the most part it is used mainly for the AKRPG, but it is used for games like BBDX where save sizes above the standard 512KB saves are required, anything lower than 512KB on the AK2 is auto up sized to 512KB just to prevent issues with wrong save types, and other misc issues.