Hacking AK2i or R4DS with wood R4 1.05 firmware?

firespike8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think this should be the correct forum to post this but I could be wrong... Well anyways I was thinking of getting another flashcart and giving my R4 (wood r4 1.05) to my little brother and would like to know:

1. Is wood R.P.G. firmware just as good as AKAIO if not what are the differences (minor and major)?

2. Is wood R.P.G. and or AKAIO still being updated regularly?

3. What kind of battery consumption does AK2i have compared to R4?

4. I heard official Ak2i firmware isn't to good compared to akaio, is this true?

5. Is the Cart always recognized by the ds or do you have to eject and reinsert sometimes (my R4 does this, kinda annoying
hate2.gif
)?

6. Does it autoboot to Cartridge bypassing the health and safety or do you touch the option in menu(I read somewhere it doesn't autoboot but it's a year old)?

7. How is the rom/homebrew compatibilty on wood rpg compared to akaio?

8. Do YOU think its worth twice as much as the R4 with wood R4 1.05?

9. Am I asking to many questions xD

Ok well If anyone could help me out with maby a few of those questions that'd be nice
gbasp.gif

I do use google alot (He's my best friend actually) but have had trouble finding some of these answers as I couldnt find the right keywords for many of them. Also I'd like to know Up To Date info on this stuff not 2 year old forums as sometimes problems are fixed. If anyone could help out it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys, cya.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
1. Major differences. AKAIO has more options and suchlike
2. AKAIO is still being updated, WoodR4 possibly since it depends on the users and YWG
3. Dunno the battery consumption, but I'm guessing the R4 has better battery use?
4. Totally true
5. It depends. You might have to use the paper trick, you might not.
6. I believe it autoboots if you set the DS settings to boot the cart directly, but only for DSlite and DSPhats
7. I'm guessing roughly the same, or AKAIO is better
8. Depends on what you are using it for. If you are hoping to always have a great third party team updating for the latest roms, then yes. Anything else, you could probably live with an R4, though you have limited memory space.
9. Sort of?

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
firespike8 said:
I think this should be the correct forum to post this but I could be wrong... Well anyways I was thinking of getting another flashcart and giving my R4 (wood r4 1.05) to my little brother and would like to know:

1. Is wood R.P.G. firmware just as good as AKAIO if not what are the differences (minor and major)? Compatibilty wise pretty close besides that akaio has more things

2. Is wood R.P.G. and or AKAIO still being updated regularly? akaio is updated regularly and publically released on Norm's whim and I'm not too sure on wood rpg but I think it is?

3. What kind of battery consumption does AK2i have compared to R4? IDK

4. I heard official Ak2i firmware isn't to good compared to akaio, is this true? Yes don't touch the ofw with a stick
biggrin.gif

5. Is the Cart always recognized by the ds or do you have to eject and reinsert sometimes (my R4 does this, kinda annoying
hate2.gif
)? Try the paper trick and my ds always detects my acekard

6. Does it autoboot to Cartridge bypassing the health and safety or do you touch the option in menu(I read somewhere it doesn't autoboot but it's a year old)? No but a few seconds mashing a doesn't make a difference

7. How is the rom/homebrew compatibilty on wood rpg compared to akaio? almost the same

8. Do YOU think its worth twice as much as the R4 with wood R4 1.05? Yes you get sdhc support, dsi compatibility and some other stuff with the ak2i

9. Am I asking to many questions xD Nah I've answered more than this overall.

Ok well If anyone could help me out with maby a few of those questions that'd be nice
gbasp.gif

I do use google alot (He's my best friend actually) but have had trouble finding some of these answers as I couldnt find the right keywords for many of them. Also I'd like to know Up To Date info on this stuff not 2 year old forums as sometimes problems are fixed. If anyone could help out it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys, cya.

dark.boy.6687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
firespike8 said:
1. Is wood R.P.G. firmware just as good as AKAIO if not what are the differences (minor and major)? I think they're the same, not sure.

2. Is wood R.P.G. and or AKAIO still being updated regularly?AKAIO is updated regularly, Wood RPG is updated like once a month or something.

3. What kind of battery consumption does AK2i have compared to R4?I'm not sure, I don't have an AK2i, but I tried my friend's for a little while.

4. I heard official Ak2i firmware isn't to good compared to akaio, is this true?Definetly true. My friend was always complaining that she couldn't play new games with the official firmware.

hate2.gif
)?It should be, and yeah, eject and reinsert is annoying
frown.gif

6. Does it autoboot to Cartridge bypassing the health and safety or do you touch the option in menu(I read somewhere it doesn't autoboot but it's a year old)?Either use the softmod trick, or click on Auto mode for Phat/Lite. Auto=Touch screen, then go into menu

7. How is the rom/homebrew compatibilty on wood rpg compared to akaio?I think they're the same, not sure.

8. Do YOU think its worth twice as much as the R4 with wood R4 1.05?I dunno. Choose Wood R4 if you want to lay most of the newer games. AKAIO for more features, and even more new games, because it's updated regularly.

9. Am I asking to many questions xD Not really..

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wood and AKAIO are both excellent.

If you have an original R4 then you'll love WoodR4 as it allows you to play recent games, has a nice interface and a ton of features already implemented like Wii connect etc (Both wood and akaio have v. similar looking interfaces being that they were once based off the opensource acekard RPG code).

The R4 with Wood is like using another card altogether and a credit to YWG(Load speeds, compatibility, features already incorporated, f-in impressive etc).

It is being updated regulary enough (though there are no guarantees that it will continue to be but the same goes for akaio, obviously as its not the flashcard manufacturer making the software for us... they could stop updating tomorrow and there have been numerous threats of this happening with akaio already).

Bugs are getting fixed in Wood and it seems YWG shows a lot of attention to detail with the improvements he/she is making each release. Its clean and there are good reasons now to use either of the cards you ask about.

To sum this up, imo both are very impressive firmwares, you can't go wrong with either an original R4/Wood or acekard/akaio. Acekards are what they are because of akaio... normmatt and the team. And people cannot talk shi* about the original R4 now..credit to YWG for that. End of.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you are going to buy a new cart I would say buy an Acekard. But if you already have an original R4 which runs wood fine and you're happy with it, I don't think it's worth replacing it with an Acekard.

firespike8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So basically the acekard sounds like the best bet as it's being updated constantly, supports SDHC and is DSI compatible. These are the major differences right? Anyone know of any other things that make it an improvement over the R4, I just wanna make sure I make the best buy when I get it. Thanks everyone for answering my questions, it REALLY helps out
smile.gif

On another note I'm thinking if I did get an AK2i I would bundle it with a 4GB microSDHC, does that sound like a good plan? The battery efficiency still would be cool to know but if no one knows the answer thats alright...

Again thanks everyone, cya.

firespike8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry bout the double post but...

Does Shoptemp seem like good deals to you? Ships to canada with 1.00 shipping and would cost 28$ total for AK2i and a 4gb kingston microsd? Sounds good right?

firespike8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
anaxs said:
wow, ur comparing the crapiest card to the best card. the wood firmware does make the r4 better but still not worhty of being compared to the ak2i

There arent really that many differences are there?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
firespike8 said:
anaxs said:
wow, ur comparing the crapiest card to the best card. the wood firmware does make the r4 better but still not worhty of being compared to the ak2i

There arent really that many differences are there?
Acekard:
+SDHC
+DSi support
+more seamless settings
+a full team of support
-Slow loading (at the moment)

R4:
+Fast loading
-No SDHC
-doesn't work on the DSi
-CLONEZORZ!!!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

-a single person supporting

firespike8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for summarizing that Yaymii I think You've just swayed me over to acekard lol. I'll probably order it today but do you think I should get it form Shoptemp or are there better deals out there?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: F