AIM via IRC

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Hakoda, Jun 17, 2010.

Jun 17, 2010

AIM via IRC by Hakoda at 5:13 AM (889 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Hakoda
    OP

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I'm not quite well informed about how all this works but could someone explain to me if AIM via IRC on a DS client like CIRC is available? If its not even possible then just say so straight up. But if it is indeed possible then I'd like to try it. Please provide step by step instructions when explaining it to me as I don't know much about IRC. I know about the ongoing AIMDS project by Max Fierke and that's been going on since Fall 2009 so I'd like to use something else while I wait for his client.

Thanks. This would mean a lot to me.

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    isn't cIRC an IRC client?

To the best of my knowledge, no IRC client has or will supports AIM. However, some IRC servers have an AIM feature... but that is entirely server dependent.
    I used that on my XBox back when my PC died and I needed to wait a few months to build a replacement.

To get it to work, you find a server that supports AIM (I don't know of any) and type something like:
    /msg AIMServ

You'll end up joining a channel and the users are the people on your buddy list. To chat would be something like:
    /msg Message you want to send

I think there may be some variance in servers, so you'll need to read up a little bit on the commands for the particular server you join.

3. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
  4. Hakoda
    OP

United States
    Thanks BoxShot for the guide. Luckily there were already instructions on how to log into AIM from IRC on the thread you linked me to. It was great and everything works fine.

Thanks twiztidsinz for the commands. That led me to a user based knowledge page which helped understand other commands I could use on IRC.

Thanks again, works great.

5. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    cIRC doesn't connect but everything else that uses Wi-Fi does, how would I set it up from there?

6. Hakoda
    OP

United States
    Where "usernamehere" is your username without @aim.com and "passwordhere" is the password to your AIM account.

I also found that if you just shut off the DS, the AIM connection lags and leaves you online when you're really not so use the command "account off" without quotes in the bitlbee window then shut the DS off to make sure you successfully log off. Also in the IRCDS, I find that it forgets my bitlbee password and says that i never registered so if you add the password to the "Password (opt.)" field in the config settings, it will will remember it. Then if you set it to autoconnect, as soon as you tap the touch screen after execution of IRCDS, it will connect to your AIM account automatically.

7. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    I didn't like IRCDS...... It never did what I told it to. I could get connected, but nobody would ever get my messages on there. It's like... I IM'd myself and I never got any messages from myself, on either end.

So I've tried cIRC but that can't even connect. It gets to the main screen, but that's about all it does. If I go to anything else it'll say it can't connect.

EDIT: I get the two mixed up very easily, so it might be the other way around.