Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not quite well informed about how all this works but could someone explain to me if AIM via IRC on a DS client like CIRC is available? If its not even possible then just say so straight up. But if it is indeed possible then I'd like to try it. Please provide step by step instructions when explaining it to me as I don't know much about IRC. I know about the ongoing AIMDS project by Max Fierke and that's been going on since Fall 2009 so I'd like to use something else while I wait for his client.

Thanks. This would mean a lot to me.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
isn't cIRC an IRC client?

To the best of my knowledge, no IRC client has or will supports AIM. However, some IRC servers have an AIM feature... but that is entirely server dependent.
I used that on my XBox back when my PC died and I needed to wait a few months to build a replacement.

To get it to work, you find a server that supports AIM (I don't know of any) and type something like:
/msg AIMServ

You'll end up joining a channel and the users are the people on your buddy list. To chat would be something like:
/msg Message you want to send

I think there may be some variance in servers, so you'll need to read up a little bit on the commands for the particular server you join.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.bitlbee.org/main.php/news.r.html

http://gbatemp.net/t101882-alternative-to-...p;#entry1357933

I'm pretty sure it supports AIM. Well the guide is for MSN but I'm pretty sure we could just do a bit of modifications.
tongue.gif

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks BoxShot for the guide. Luckily there were already instructions on how to log into AIM from IRC on the thread you linked me to. It was great and everything works fine.

Thanks twiztidsinz for the commands. That led me to a user based knowledge page which helped understand other commands I could use on IRC.

Thanks again, works great.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
cIRC doesn't connect but everything else that uses Wi-Fi does, how would I set it up from there?
Actually I used IRCDS just because it has the ability to PM users on a channel and divide the conversations into windows (which means the users in the channel are your buddies and the PM feature allows you to talk to them separately in windows). Use the guide provided by Boxshot & just when it says to add an account use this command instead:

CODEaccount add oscar usernamehere passwordhere login.oscar.aol.com

Where "usernamehere" is your username without @aim.com and "passwordhere" is the password to your AIM account.

I also found that if you just shut off the DS, the AIM connection lags and leaves you online when you're really not so use the command "account off" without quotes in the bitlbee window then shut the DS off to make sure you successfully log off. Also in the IRCDS, I find that it forgets my bitlbee password and says that i never registered so if you add the password to the "Password (opt.)" field in the config settings, it will will remember it. Then if you set it to autoconnect, as soon as you tap the touch screen after execution of IRCDS, it will connect to your AIM account automatically.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
Inunah said:
cIRC doesn't connect but everything else that uses Wi-Fi does, how would I set it up from there?
Actually I used IRCDS just because it has the ability to PM users on a channel and divide the conversations into windows (which means the users in the channel are your buddies and the PM feature allows you to talk to them separately in windows). Use the guide by Boxshot & just when it says to add an account use this command instead:

CODEaccount add oscar usernamehere passwordhere login.oscar.aol.com

Where "usernamehere" is your username without @aim.com and "passwordhere" is the password to your AIM account.

I also found that if you just shut off the DS, the AIM connection lags and leaves you online when you're really not so use the command "account off" without quotes in the bitlbee window then shut the DS off to make sure you successfully log off. Also in the IRCDS, I find that it forgets my bitlbee password and says that i never registered so if you add the password to the "Password (opt.)" field in the config settings, it will will remember it. Then if you set it to autoconnect, as soon as you tap the touch screen after execution of IRCDS, it will connect to your AIM account automatically.
I didn't like IRCDS...... It never did what I told it to. I could get connected, but nobody would ever get my messages on there. It's like... I IM'd myself and I never got any messages from myself, on either end.

So I've tried cIRC but that can't even connect. It gets to the main screen, but that's about all it does. If I go to anything else it'll say it can't connect.

EDIT: I get the two mixed up very easily, so it might be the other way around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel