Deleted member 316946

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I have several AGS-101s and I noticed that one of them has tiny 'scanlines' visible on the screen when you move the console. At least that's what I thought, but further investigation shows that the scalines appear even when the console is stationary (on a table) and I move my head up and down. So it is not a bad connection with the ribbon cable or battery.

I say 'scanlines' - yes I know a LCD doesnt have them but it is the best word I can think of. In a flat area of colour I can see very thin, faint horizintal lines. But only when I move my eyes in relation to the screen.

Because I have a few 101s I was able to swap boards and screen around, and funnily enough the problem is caused my the motherboard, NOT the screen.

Has anybody ever experienced or noticed this?

Deleted member 316946

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never mind, I adjusted a little variable resistor inside the battery compartment and it fixed the issue.

Just a tiny adjustment was needed if anybody else is doing it, less than 1/8 of a turn.

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Never mind, I adjusted a little variable resistor inside the battery compartment and it fixed the issue.

Just a tiny adjustment was needed if anybody else is doing it, less than 1/8 of a turn.

On my SP (non backlit) I can see horizontal lines very well when the moving the system. I figured the screen was interlaced or something.

I tweaked it as well and it reduced it's visibility a lot if not completely. Thanks!

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear it worked for you. I never knew about this adjustment before, but I guess you learn something new every day!
Nintendo says that it's a flicker control to synchronize negative and positive flows so it doesn't overcharge and damage the LCD screen.

Make sure to keep it balanced. Not really sure how, maybe adjust until it looks as normal as possible.

Deleted member 316946

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I would not have described the problem I was seeing as 'flicker' personally

I researched it more and basically you are adjusting the vcom voltage. Every panel has an optimal vcom voltage and it varies due to manufacturing tolerances. Nintendo would have manually adjusted each GBA in the factory. Which is why the problem often happens when swapping displays.

A large adjustment of this pot may damage your panel so adjust with care. For me it only required a very tiny adjustment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-