AGameAWeek - 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Jayenkai, Apr 14, 2018.

1. LiquidFenrir

LiquidFenrir Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2016
    France
    Do you make the music yourself? damn that's cool

2. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    Yep. I learned a long time ago that if I’m doing things at a rate of AGameAWeek, then it's really hard to collaborate with other folk, mostly because I can’t expect people to drop what they’re doing and suddenly make me sprites or music or whatever, just for a Freeware game!
    Instead, I chose to build my own archive of music, and ever since getting KORG Gadget on iOS (also available on Mac or Switch) I’ve somewhat found my musical mojo, and am banging out a number of albums worth of music each year.

My soundcloud account always has the latest stuff, but since it’s only a Free account, I’m limited to just a few hours worth of music. Every few months I have a clearout of old tracks to make way for new ones.

Over at AGameAWeek, there’s a much more complete music archive, going back quite a way, and all with big juicy downloadable zips full of mp3s.

3. Itzumi

Itzumi Needs More Aesthetics

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    Now I want Geometry Wars on 3ds. :D
    EDIT: Forgot Geometry Wars: Galaxies existed.

Jayenkai likes this.
  4. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    This might be ready at some point tomorrow, or it may be Monday. It all depends on how well I can track down those last few awkward bugs.

Youtube Trailer of Bounciness

5. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Time to launch your balls..
    The Centipedes are approaching.

You can Download the game here, and then prepare for the onslaught.

Cid2mizard and Itzumi like this.
  6. Zeldaplayer67

Zeldaplayer67 (Secretly a Yo-Kai)

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    The Moon
    Centipong is a great idea for a game and a better idea when put into action.

Itzumi likes this.
  7. mike a

mike a GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    Yes centipong is here

8. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    [​IMG]

Next game might take more than the usual allocated week.

I have a LOT of things that I need to work at, in order to make everything as good as it possibly can be, and some intense amount of testing, adding various objects, making a bunch of levels and more besides.
    I'll try to keep this thread updated from time to time, but if you need more frequent updates, head over to AGameAWeek.com instead.

Maybe a month..? I'll try my best not to take too long.

Last edited by Jayenkai, Aug 14, 2018 - Reason: Urlborkage
    mike a likes this.
  9. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    [​IMG]

Progress Report
    The editor is now vaguely functional, and the very most basic objects are also functioning as expected.
    Next I need to implement level/pack selection, file saving and other menu based stuff, before starting to add all the functions of the different tiles into the game.
    JNKPlat2018 is currently still a long long long way from being release ready.

I had initially intended to have the level editor do uploading itself, but given the current 11.8 drama, and the fact that any sane user will probably have their wifi switched off, it doesn't seem fair for me to force an online requirement onto everyone. Heck, I'm certainly not going to be doing it myself!

So, instead then, I'll try to make it as simple as I can to upload levels to the server.
    You'll be able to drag a "My Levels" file from the sd card over your computer, upload it from there, then drag the "All the online levels" file back over to your sd card.
    Or at least, that's the current plan. It might change over the next week or so. It depends on how well it all actually works once I get around to trying it out.

alonzondavis and Zeldaplayer67 like this.
  10. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    Progress Report

Progress has been rather slow, as I'm struggling with all manner of controller issues, save data complications, and other such things.
    The level editor is "functional", albeit a little barebones, and is currently only saving levels.
    Today I'm going to start working on loading, which also requires that I code a selection method for choosing levels to load.
    And I HATE doing menus!!

Hopefully by next week, I should have something that some of you can play with. Not a full release yet, but something that some of you can try out the editor and maybe submit a few levels for the proper release?

Anyhoo, lots more to tweak, so I'll get back to that.

Zeldaplayer67 and Itzumi like this.
  11. Zeldaplayer67

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    The Moon
    Super agameaweek maker.

12. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    Just JNKPlat levels, not entire minigames..
    .. although making a WarioWare DIY repalcement might be fun, at some point. But I expect it might be a bit hard!!!

Anyhoo, in the meantime, Otakupunk has posted this wonderful video of Generic Snake Clone.

13. Zeldaplayer67

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    The Moon
    A new warioware diy sounds amazing but dont push yourself.
    In generic snake clone is the blue guy ok?

Last edited by Zeldaplayer67, Aug 22, 2018
  14. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England

Progress Report
    In the video above, you see me load up the game, go into the editor, add a ladder atop the brick area, save, close, reload, start a new game, and it loads in the level with the new ladders on top.

Basically.. The level editor is now loading and saving and is functional and woot!!
    Next, I need to go through all my different available map tiles and code their various functionality, and then it'll be time to faff about with the frontend.
    The frontend to a JNKPlat obviously shouldn't look like every other game in my collection, as it's layout of levels and things are moderately different to my usual "Easy, Normal, Hard" framework can cope with.

I'm not a fan of making menus, so this may end up taking a while, yet :D

15. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    [​IMG]

Progress Report : 10%? Maybe!!

I've started to integrate themes into the editor. Themes will be chosen by the creator of the level, so expect everyone to end up using that one theme you happen to hate, because that's how everything seems to work!!
    At the moment, themes are only a skin. I keep wondering if "Ice Level" should be a theme, too, leaving the levels all skiddy.. Or should "Icy Floor" just be a tile?
    Hmmm..
    And if I do make Ice Level into a theme, what other such themes might work as well?
    Lots to think about, there.

The editor's coming together quite well, but I'm still stuck with just the four available levels. At some point I'm going to have to start adding proper level-pack selection menus.. I'm really not looking forward to that, mostly because of just how many levels I'm looking to integrate into the engine.

... Yikes!!!

16. Zeldaplayer67

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    The Moon
    Im waiting for the despacito theme.

Inthescene, ry755 and Itzumi like this.
  17. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    I'm still not even halfway through making the new JNKPlat, as it's alarmingly complicated!
    In the meantime, then, I've cobbled together this quick sequel to a game I made last year.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A nice and simple, but curiously complex Sokoban style sliding block puzzle.
    Shuffle the 4 crates around so they're all on top of the 4 buttons.
    You have a limited number of pushes per level, so you'll have to have your thinking cap on, to get through all the levels.

You can Download Quadoban2 here.

18. Zeldaplayer67

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    The Moon
    Rip gravity.

19. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    Meanwhile, back in PlatWorld..

JNKPlat's now up to a vaguely stable point.
    The editor's working, the level select mostly works, and the gameplay seems to be pretty stable, too.
    The level in the video above has been created entirely on the 3DS. From "No levels created yet", through "Add a new level pack, please!" to "Edit the level pack!", as well as creating, saving, testing, and storing the entire pack of 4 levels back onto the SD card's "My Levels" file.

It all works. Every little bit of it!!

Next will be to add in the last of the tiles (and try to actually come up with a few more!) then make enough levels for the "The 100 levels that come with the game" packs.

I'd also like to do something about music, but honestly I don't think now's the best time to be trying to create a brand new music engine to go with it!!
    Maybe later.

For now, levels, sound, nice "Level Complete" stuff, and a few other bits and pieces.
    I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the month.

.. Maybe!!

Zeldaplayer67 and Itzumi like this.
  20. Jayenkai
    OP

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    [​IMG]

As progress continues, I’m currently attempting to build a number of levels for the game. I know this is nowhere near exact, but hopefully it should be recognisable enough!

I’ve a lot more levels to build, and am currently about 20% of the target.
    I still have a few quirks to iron out, and also need to add new features to the game, but it’d definitely feeling more like a proper game should.

8BitWonder likes this.