Advice on writing. (How can I have appealing detailed articles?)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am just gonna ask if anyone out there knows something about writing. Specifically long context that could seem like reading a chapter in a novel, or just huge chunks of details. People write things all the time. Sometimes is long and I can understand that requires a lot of time dedicated to read it. But cause of that, it means people will consider it's worth in reading it by a head line or what it's about and if they care. My question is could it be possible to have long detailed context but make it appealing?

Some obvious things would be to shorten the context. But that's not always possible. Sometimes you can just use substitute words because it could make for lack of details, not only that but if someone doesn't know the terms you choose to use, also has problems with understanding. :ninja:

fiis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best advice I can give is to outline it all. If you see a high level "map" it will help organize the paragraphs. Don't lose sight of the main point, even if you digress or go into deep detail always bring it back to the main point and how they relate.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://orwell.ru/library/essays/wiw/english/e_wiw , though I myself don't play to a lot of the "rules" he highlights at the end there.

Outlining works

That guy has done loads of lectures, as well as being considered one of the top authors of our times, so have a look there. I don't have all the links to hand as they are scattered across a couple of playlists.

I quite like the terrible writing advice channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3ogrx6d9oohf6D42G44j1A and in this case the things on worldbuilding and exposition are good here.

Shadiversity also has some good stuff.

You can also come the other way entirely and do some kind of exercise involving random words

As far as making the introduction/opening appealing there are many techniques. Some will give you a taste of what is to come (a flash forward in time), others will establish a setting in a theoretically unrelated period which still showcases something cool (or maybe the origins of a key piece of technology/lore in your story), in games you might get a taste of end game abilities (see many Metroid games) and made to feel powerful as anything, for a news article if you are about to explore something then why might it be relevant to the reader, for a science/upcoming tech article you might think of an application of the cool stuff you are about to cover,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Writers dont take lessons in creative writing. ;) (Old saying. ;) )

But yes, to start with outlining and structuring is a good (proven) idea. :)

Commercial writing software like scrivener has commercial videos for features that are supposed to help with that. But having a separate notebook does it as well. :)

see:

h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3tu5z6KL0
and
h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcf-gU76_WQ

I've dropped in on a Kindle marketplace forum once, where people discussed changing endings depending on readers tastes and optimizing their attention flow. It was bastard dark SEO stuff from hell. Dont go that direction. Please.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Outlining: You sit down and think about stuff that should happen in your text. Then you drag that around until it fits.

Its a thing that helps you keep track (and motivation) on longer projects.

On short prosa articles - its really up to you if you fill them with the most descriptive and emotion inducing detail, or be matter of fact - It changes the way people will read the text (excruciating detail, if done right - draws you into the story - lets people "smell" the surroundings, ... Plain short sentences, will move the pacing forward in a more straight forward fashion.)

The one thing to learn there is, that even with SEO and clickbait, there arent, and should not be any rules there.

See - f.e.:
https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/there-are-no-rules/write-like-charles-dickens

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
If you are asking about narrative tension - this is probably my favorite example of weaving someone in and out of it - written by a mid career stage Agatha Christie. And that women knew how to write.. ;)

He turned a corner.

Not at the time, but afterwards, he wondered why this time he felt no surprise at meeting that elusive friend of his-- Mr. Harley Quin. The two men clasped hands. "So your down here," said Mr. Satterthwaite. "Yes," said Mr. Quin. "I'm staying in the same house as you are."

"Staying there?"

"Yes. Does it surprise you?"

"No," said Mr. Satterthwaite slowly. "Only--well, you never stay anywhere for long, do you?"

"Only as long as is necessary," said Mr. Quin gravely.

"I see," said Mr. Satterthwaite.

They walked on in silence for some minutes.

"This lane," began Mr. Satterthwaite, and stopped.

"Belongs to me," said Mr. Quin.

"I thought it did," said Mr. Satterthwaite. "Somehow, I thought it must. There's the other name for it, too, the local name. They call it the 'Lovers Lane.'" You know that?"

Mr. Quin nodded.

"But surely," he said gently, "there is a 'Lovers Lane' in every village?"

"I suppose so," said Mr. Satterthwaite, and he sighed a little.

He felt suddenly rather old and out of things, a little dried-up wizened old fogey of a man. Each side of him were the hedges, very green and alive,

"Where does this lane end, I wonder?" he asked suddenly.

"It ends--here," said Mr. Quin.

They came round the last bend. The lane ended in a piece of waste ground, and almost at their feet a great pit opened. In it were tin cans gleaming in the sun, and other cans that were too red with rust to gleam, old boots, fragments of newspapers, a hundred and one odds and ends that were no longer of account to anybody.

"A rubbish heap," exclaimed Mr. Satterthwaite, and breathed deeply and indignantly.

"Sometimes there are very wonderful things on a rubbish heap," said Mr. Quin.

"I know, I know," cried Mr. Satterthwaite, and quoted with just a trace of self-consciousness--"Bring me the two most beautiful things in the city, said God. You know how it goes, eh?"

Mr. Quin nodded.

Mr. Satterthwaite looked up at the ruins of a small cottage perched on the brink of the wall of the cliff.

"Hardly a pretty view for a house," he remarked.

"I fancy this wasn't a rubbish heap in those days," said Mr. Quin. "I believe the Denmans lived there when they were first married. They moved into the big house when the old people died. The cottage was pulled down when they began to quarry the rock here--'but nothing much was done, as you can see."

They turned and began retracing their steps.

"I suppose," said Mr. Satterthwaite, smiling, "that many couples come wandering down this lane on these warm summer evenings."

"Probably."

"Lovers," said Mr. Satterthwaite. He repeated the word thoughtfully and quite without the normal embarrassment of the Englishman. Mr. Quin had that effect upon him. "Lovers... You have done a lot for lovers, Mr. Quin."

The other bowed his head without replying.

"You have saved them from sorrow--from worse than sorrow, from death. You have been an advocate for the dead themselves."

"You are speaking of yourself--of what you have done-- not of me."

"It is the same thing," said Mr. Satterthwaite. "You know it is," he urged, as the other did not speak. "You have acted--through me. For some reason or other you do not act directly--yourself."

"Sometimes I do," said Mr. Quin.

His voice held a new note. In spite of himself Mr. Satterthwaite shivered a little. The afternoon, he thought, must be growing chilly. And yet the sun seemed as bright as ever.

At that moment a girl turned the corner ahead of them and came into sight. She was a very pretty girl, fair-haired and blue-eyed, wearing a pink cotton frock. Mr. Satterthwaite recognised her as Molly Stanwell, whom he had net down here before.

She waved a hand to welcome him.

"John and Anna have just gone back," she cried. "They thought you must have come, but they simply had to be at the rehearsal."

[...]

edit: Here is another one of her beginnings:
It is difficult to know quite where to begin this story, but I have fixed my choice on a certain Wednesday at luncheon at the Vicarage. The conversation, though in the main irrelevant to the matter in hand, yet contained one or two suggestive incidents which influenced later developments.

I had just finished carving some boiled beef (remarkably tough by the way) and on resuming my seat I remarked, in a spirit most unbecoming to my cloth, that any one who murdered Colonel Protheroe would be doing the world at large a service.

My young nephew, Dennis, said instantly:

"That'll be remembered against you when the old boy is found bathed in blood. Mary will give evidence, won't you, Mary? And describe how you brandished the carving knife in a vindictive manner."

Mary, who is in service at the Vicarage as a stepping-stone to better things and higher wages, merely said in a loud, businesslike voice, "Greens," and thrust a cracked dish at him in a truculent manner.

My wife said in a sympathetic voice: "Has he been very trying?"

I did not reply at once, for Mary, setting the greens on the table with a bang, proceeded to thrust a dish of singularly moist and unpleasant dumplings under my nose. I said, "No, thank you," and she deposited the dish with a clatter on the table and left the room.
The Murder at the Vickerage, Chapter 1.

Last edited by notimp,

mariopepper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I also love to write, especially scientific articles, essays and reports. Like you, it was difficult for me at first, but I learned a lot and am still learning, as I often seek advice and the power of professionals. If we are talking about writing articles or essays, I recommend to contact GPALabs. Do not think anything bad. I just started writing such things and without the help of experienced people this case is very difficult. I hope my advice was useful to you

Last edited by mariopepper,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    mthrnite @ mthrnite: and old ass prog like atomic rooster and gentle giant