Advice on modchip path.

Mutateddreams

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First i would like to start by saying I am very new to the switch scene as far as CFW is concerned, i have been a member for awhile, but recently lost access to my old email with my old account (mutantdreams). I currently have a v1 switch and with all the resources here i have finally got that working correctly with a RCM loader and a Jig, but am wanting to do something a bit different, but before I have the questions, this is what i would like to be able to do: when the switch is powered on, I would like to be able to boot directly into the Hekate screen. For this i was thinking I would need some sort of internal payload injector, and some way to immediately boot into RCM without the jig. What would you suggest doing to get to that result?

I was looking into the SX chips and the HW Fly clones, but they are a bit expensive, and if i was to go that route, i would probably go with a V2 switch.

What exactly are the RCMX86 chips? Do they do what I am looking for? Are they exclusive to V1 switches?

Initially i was looking at disassembling the RCM loader, and soldering the usb C connections to the board of the switch directly, and then using auto RCM to force RCM every boot. The problem i have found with that is I am insure how i would power the RCM loader so it doesnt constantly stay on. Also because of how intelligent this community is, i am sure there is a reason someone has not done this.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First i would like to start by saying I am very new to the switch scene as far as CFW is concerned, i have been a member for awhile, but recently lost access to my old email with my old account (mutantdreams). I currently have a v1 switch and with all the resources here i have finally got that working correctly with a RCM loader and a Jig, but am wanting to do something a bit different, but before I have the questions, this is what i would like to be able to do: when the switch is powered on, I would like to be able to boot directly into the Hekate screen. For this i was thinking I would need some sort of internal payload injector, and some way to immediately boot into RCM without the jig. What would you suggest doing to get to that result?

I was looking into the SX chips and the HW Fly clones, but they are a bit expensive, and if i was to go that route, i would probably go with a V2 switch.

What exactly are the RCMX86 chips? Do they do what I am looking for? Are they exclusive to V1 switches?

Initially i was looking at disassembling the RCM loader, and soldering the usb C connections to the board of the switch directly, and then using auto RCM to force RCM every boot. The problem i have found with that is I am insure how i would power the RCM loader so it doesnt constantly stay on. Also because of how intelligent this community is, i am sure there is a reason someone has not done this.
If you have a V1 then the RCMX86. If you have a V2 then HWFly or SX Core.

But honestly, having to plug in an RCM Loader is just less risky and only a very minor inconvenience. I assume you know the risks with soldering though. You should just leave the Switch locked most of the time instead of shutting it down as it won't use much battery life when locked and no need to re-inject. I used to shut mine down before modding but just got used to not doing it as it doesn't really matter.

Mutateddreams

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But honestly, having to plug in an RCM Loader is just less risky and only a very minor inconvenience. I assume you know the risks with soldering though. You should just leave the Switch locked most of the time instead of shutting it down as it won't use much battery life when locked and no need to re-inject. I used to shut mine down before modding but just got used to not doing it as it doesn't really matter.
Thank you for the reply! The only reason im considering the soldering is because I have access to a micro soldering station at a buddies cell phone repair shop. Currently I Just put my switch to sleep, and try not to let it die. The biggest concern i have is the battery life has went down to about 45 minutes, but I may just replace the battery.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the reply! The only reason im considering the soldering is because I have access to a micro soldering station at a buddies cell phone repair shop. Currently I Just put my switch to sleep, and try not to let it die. The biggest concern i have is the battery life has went down to about 45 minutes, but I may just replace the battery.
If the battery life is that low, I think you should consider replacing it. Also, something that I just thought about which I'm not sure on is how you update the payloads when updates to Hekate release (assuming you use Hekate to boot into Atmosphere). I would assume you have to open up the console again to flash the new payload to the chip but if that is wrong then someone will correct me.

Reactions: Mutateddreams

Mutateddreams

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the battery life is that low, I think you should consider replacing it. Also, something that I just thought about which I'm not sure on is how you update the payloads when updates to Hekate release (assuming you use Hekate to boot into Atmosphere). I would assume you have to open up the console again to flash the new payload to the chip but if that is wrong then someone will correct me.
Ahh that is something i didnt really think too much about, i forgot that the files would have to be updated occasionally. As far as the battery is concerned, it is a bit rough, on harder graphically intense games i will sometimes get as low as 45 mins from 100%-10%. So a new battery will definitely be in my future

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh that is something i didnt really think too much about, i forgot that the files would have to be updated occasionally. As far as the battery is concerned, it is a bit rough, on harder graphically intense games i will sometimes get as low as 45 mins from 100%-10%. So a new battery will definitely be in my future

I followed the @mattytrog Trinket M0 guide recently. It‘s the most involved mod I’ve made to date. First time micro soldering, but I did it and it works great! His fusee suite payload that goes on the trinket is code complete, meaning you never have to update it. It simply manages the initial boot sequence and then passes to the payload of your choice. I’m using Hekate and have gone through several Hekate upgrades without thinking about my Trinket installation. It’s the closest thing to cold boot out there for a v1 switch. Highly recommend it if your soldering skills are decent and you like to tinker. While you have the back popped open you might as well swap out that battery.

Reactions: Tomato123

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Agree 100%. RCM Loader and a Jig is the recommended path for most people.

There were several times during my Trinket upgrade that I thought I fried my switch. I’ve been soldering electronics for a long time but surface mount components are a whole ‘nother level and will test your hands, eyes and patience!

If I had to do it all again I would probably chose the RCMX86 as recommended above. It has nice large pads and you don’t have to remove the USB port. You can find it on here. You’ll note there a link to a Trinket on there as well.

End of day it’s much safer to just use an RCM jig on the very rare occasion you need to do a full reboot. Sleep is your friend and it‘s already built in to your switch.

Reactions: Tomato123

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...