Advice: Dont take out GW card...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ll0rT, Sep 22, 2015.

1. ll0rT
    OP

ll0rT GBAtemp Regular

Dec 15, 2014
    ... immediately after pressing the power off button while game is running. Wait like at least 5 secs for console shuts down game completely and saves your save data from gw chip to sd.
    I didn't done that and all of my Majora's Mask save data blew up...
    Fortunately I had save backup on my pc :teach:

Sliter likes this.

2. nyder

nyder GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2014
    United States
    Yes, in the GW instructions it mentions that it writes the save to the card when you close down the game. Which means don't remove the card until you are on the homemenu actually.

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Obviously? The same thing goes for a retail game, it's a bad idea to remove any cart while the game is still running.

Maximilious and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  4. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    Are you for real ? The same thing applies to retail games as well...

Zidapi and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  5. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    everyone is saying the same applies to retail cart, and it's true.

I'll go as far as going to save manually, even if it has auto save.

6. julian20

julian20 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Yes gateway saves after game is closed. BUT retail cards saves while in game and NOT after close the game!!!!!!

7. ll0rT
    OP

ll0rT GBAtemp Regular

Dec 15, 2014
    I tried with retail card. Pressed power off and immediately removed card and nothing happened. With GW, it actually does an extra task when you exit the game: write the save data from gw chip to sd card. If you remove gw card while this happening, say goodbye to your whole save data (That's what happened to me)
    And it gives no message about "Closing the game" or something like that. Only says "Software closed"

8. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    As a rule of thumb, with whatever game, on whatever cart,

you should hit Home to close game,
    enter turn off power normally

(as opposed to pressing power to close game, or even worse, hold power until you kill it)

You don't know when which game will glitch up, or which hardware will glitch up.

It's not about what message it shows, its about whether you treasure your save file.

ll0rT likes this.
  9. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    I still can't understand why some games have limitations regarding saves and/or save points.
    Why can't all games have an Ace Attorney-style saving system? I can understand why some won't because of gameplay issues, but like Majora's Mask? Why?

10. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Wondering why this is even a thread. :glare:

11. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You should be glad they changed the save system from the original. It used to be that the only way to save permanently was by playing the Song of Time and rewinding time to day 1, the owl statues would only suspend the game until the next time you loaded the save. I don't see the problem with this system since once you have the Song of Soaring it only takes a few seconds to get to a save point and back, and there is a save point at the entrance to every dungeon along with various other places.

I believe the message it gives you when you remove a cart while the game is running is "The game card was removed, please do not remove the game card while the software is in use" or something to that effect. That obviously also applies to pressing power and immediately removing the card, since the game won't have had time to close properly.
    You are not likely to lose your save on a legit cartridge this way but it's still a good, recommended habit to properly close a game or turn off the console before ejecting it. It just seems like common sense to me and is the way I have always done things ever since I got a SNES as a kid.

12. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    I'm mostly referring to the 4 temples, which was a real pain.
    Especially the light tower, if I wanted to stop playing, I'd have to soar to the entrance, go outside the inner temple, cross the gap with the floating blocks, and save.
    Don't get me wrong, in terms of convinience it is incredibely better than the N64 version, but It has room for improvement.
    Then there are other games like Luigi's Mansion 2 and ALBW.
    This video does a great job explaining the topic:

13. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Oh, yeah. Stone Tower was annoying to get back into when resuming my save, or after flipping the tower around. Had to do the whole ordeal of playing Elegy of Emptiness another 3 times.
    That's the only time when I have missed the ability to save anywhere, though I'm not normally one to take a break in the middle of a dungeon Stone Tower is pretty big and convoluted to navigate and I kept having to go back to flip the tower, took a couple breaks during it too.

MrJason005 likes this.
  14. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Is there a reason why Zelda games don't have a save-anywhere feature? I can understand on the N64, maybe there's not enough memory or something. But that shouldn't be a problem with the 3DS.

15. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    Nostalgia :P

Quantumcat likes this.
  16. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Lol my nostalgia involves being in the middle of a temple, and having Dad come in saying "news time", flicking off the N64 and changing the channel. Didn't matter how many times we would ask please don't turn it off, just change the channel so we can keep playing after dinner. Nope :-(

lemanuel likes this.
  17. lemanuel

lemanuel Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker

Dec 11, 2014
    Portugal
    A memory is still a memory ;)
    And at least at those times, they seemed more precious than how they are now. Times were different.

Quantumcat likes this.
  18. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Somewhat related:
    I dropped my ds at one point and it crashed, it took the save with it somehow...

19. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    One solution is to convert your roms to card2, that way the save saves automatically. Card2 games save their save file inside the rom, and work pretty much like cia's and the saves can be backed up just like cia games. Except you have to have the rom selected first.

20. calebsw

calebsw GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    United States
    Similar thing happened to me. My DS fell out of my hands into my lap. It was not a huge drop, nor a huge shock to the system, but it was enough for it to completely shut down. Whatever progress I had made before my last save was lost.