Additional info regarding the CycloDS iEvolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So really, all they're giving us is ROM support to play on our DSi's, the other stuff, they're expecting hackers and what not to pick up the slack?

Vigilante

TempLurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think most of the people will buy it because of the homebrew but without that its just like anyother cart with normal rom support.
With that being said cyclodsi is just like any other flashcart but probably more expensive so why buy that.
So if the cyclo team whats people to buy it,they must find a way to fix the homebrew thing.

xaeroak15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Costello for the further information.
What ever, I only feel that the game digitalization(like dsiware) is the tendency of future because digital stuff is easy to sell and, of course encrypt. From the two relate threads i knew some details and they seemed sophisticated. Hoping the cloud breaking day...

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just because the DSi hasn't been opened up yet doesn't mean the 3DS won't be.

And people can still buy games when running hacked systems.

tajio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what you are saying is that Supercard DSTwo still rules?
wink.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
This might not be biased, but I think everyone who agrees with this has been expecting too much from the CycloDS iEvolution.

It's true that their statements thus far haven't been entirely thruthful, but the main reason for that seems to be the design of the DSi itself. In the end, the CycloDS iEvolution is what people should have expected it to be: the next step in homebrew developement for the DSi.

People who bought a DSi did that because they thought the added possibilities involving cameras, WPA, more RAM etc. would benifit them or benifit game developers so they could make better games. A new flashcart that unlocks all those features is a major step forward, even if it can't run DSi roms.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maikel Steneker said:
This might not be biased, but I think everyone who agrees with this has been expecting too much from the CycloDS iEvolution.

It's true that their statements thus far haven't been entirely thruthful, but the main reason for that seems to be the design of the DSi itself. In the end, the CycloDS iEvolution is what people should have expected it to be: the next step in homebrew developement for the DSi.

People who bought a DSi did that because they thought the added possibilities involving cameras, WPA, more RAM etc. would benifit them or benifit game developers so they could make better games. A new flashcart that unlocks all those features is a major step forward, even if it can't run DSi roms.

Although this is true, let's be honest.

Due to a hardware limitation, you can't run anything from the SD slot after you've booted a flashcart.

Which means that the only thing there is to do with the new DSi Mode is cameras.

And I've got a better camera on the phone I had in year 3.

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
The bad news is there is no sample card until 2011.

So far TC only states the iEVO will be the first flash cart in the market to enable the DSI functionality, starting with homebrew applications.

The good news : the good old Cevo is still supported since 2007, the forums should be available soon after a major breakdown and some people are working towards for unlocking the DSi... In Dave we trust ;-)

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think the main problem is not what the cyclo will enable us to do, but that it is far too late and far too expensive. Few people are going to buy a card due to the $50 price tag. Not many developers are going to be interested in coding homebrew for such a small userbase, which is going to shrink even further after the 3DS comes out.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
How sad, I was hoping to see the differences Between a Pokemón Black DS(i) mode enabled, and a P/B DS mode.

Now Cyclo did a lot of hype, but also did things that no one could.

So it´s 50/50 now the progress in DSi mode to me, at least.

Besides, SCDS2 still looks magical in hardware but lacks a bit in promised homebrew progress.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! I was busy yesterday and couldn't get online and all this happens.

You know, one thing about the CycloDSi is that it DOES attempt to unlock SOME DSi functionality at least. That's more than what most flashcart companies have done with their "i" carts. Most "i" carts only unlock the ability to play ROMs on DSi through a flashcart, in regular DS mode, not unlock any extra features of the DSi. I call these sorts of carts half-assed. You can't really call the CycloDSi a half-assed cart like the others though.....it DOES unlock a few DSi exclusive features. All of you guys whining and crying about what the CycloDSi can't do are just instantly dismissing what it can do, which, while not as exciting as first thought, is still fairly impressive when you consider that DSi mode has yet to be fully cracked in any useful form.

My only real concern is support. Not necessarily support for the CycloDSi, I'm sure they will support it with updates well enough, but support for the old CycloDS is what I'm concerned about. One would like to assume that TC will continue to support the old Cyclo too, not just the new cart. But they haven't really been doing such a great job of that lately. TC needs to step-up their support now, before they lose ALL their fan-base, which is rapidly drying up with every day that goes by without an update. When a AAA game like Golden Sun works on nearly every flashcart but yours (even the cracked version doesn't work on Cyclo), you need to concern yourself with appeasing those people and fixing that game. TC doesn't seem all that concerned with doing that.....people are jumping ship on them at an ever-increasing pace. TC needs to do something (soon) to slow that trend or they will have no fans left to buy their new cart.

If they can't properly support their old cart, why do they think people will believe they will properly support the new one? At the current time, there are NO CycloDSi's out there (review copies don't really count), but there are thousands of regular CycloDS's that need an update in the hands of users now. While launching a new cart does take a lot of resources, they can't just leave their fanbase in the dust like they have been and expect the masses to just jump on their new cart. TC needs to prioritize a little better. This late in the DS's life, I doubt they will sell as many of their "i" carts as they have already sold of the old one. I believe the old one will ultimately be their primary cart that will always need support more.

The main thing is that now TC will have a "i' cart just like everyone else, not just a DSlite/phat cart, and support is what most people care about most. TC has been failing pretty badly on that front as of late. The extra features it does bring to the table aren't quite as awesome as first thought, so its main selling point isn't as interesting as they would like to think. Which brings me back to the priorities I mentioned earlier.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
ManFranceGermany said:
good for homebrew, bad for pirates
True dat.

Rydian said:
Sloshy said:
Um... I might be wrong, but wasn't this exactly what they originally saidNo.
http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclods/engine.pl
It says right there that they will have SD access, when it turns out they won't.

It also says they'll run DSi ROMs eventuaklly, but this news post shows they have 0% progress on that (and they don't even have NAND access at all, let alone the ability to run DSiWare).
As promised, Team Cyclops are proud to announce a revolutionary feature for their soon to be release iEVO flash cart. Competitor’s devices which support the DSi, currently work only in DSL mode, which means that the unique to DSi features such as camera, improved WiFI, additional RAM, higher clock speed and DSP access are not functional. The iEVO will be the first flash cart in the market to enable this functionality, starting with homebrew applications and later support for commercial ROM’s. There are many potential uses for these features and we’re sure that the Homebrew scene will be delighted to support this functionality.
I don't see SD anywhere there, and they specifically mention roms will not play. No dsiware mentioned either.

Rayder: Maybe "half-assed" is bad wording since it isn't unlocking dsimode fully.
tongue.gif

I agree with you though, at least they're attempting to bring out a true dsimode cart.

chechiarts

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now i lol at all the user that were already bashing the dstwo at it seem the cycodsi is a waste of money team TC does it again

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
chechiarts said:
now i lol at all the user that were already bashing the dstwo at it seem the cycodsi is a waste of money team TC does it again

No? Their products are good. But if anything, Team CycloDS is the Peter Molyneux of Flashcards. Lots of hype, but very little of the hype is actually true.

QUOTEI think the main problem is not what the cyclo will enable us to do, but that it is far too late and far too expensive. Few people are going to buy a card due to the $50 price tag. Not many developers are going to be interested in coding homebrew for such a small userbase, which is going to shrink even further after the 3DS comes out.

This. I was saving out to get an iEvo because I was a victim of the hype train. I stood there in the middle of the tracks with my thumb up my ass, and I just got destroyed by it. I have an XL and an Acekard 2i, so I'm in no real rush to get a more expensive card, but it's nice to know that I can save $15-$20 and get a DSTWO which has features that I actually want.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Costello said:
There are three new features that this card was supposedly going to offer. DSi mode homebrew was the one most openly advertised by the Cyclops Team and they will deliver when it comes to that, except for one little disappointment- the SD card slot cannot be accessed by homebrew.
Well, we'll see about that
wink.gif

Costello said:
The second of those 3 features was announced officially as "coming later": DSi-enhanced rom support. It's those games that already work on the DS but when played on a DSi those should offer additional features and enhancements. But as it turns out: nobody has got anywhere near being able to run those games in DSi mode on the CycloDS iEvolution. Our inside source tells us that the team is just hoping for hackers to find a way to make it work once the card is released, but they haven't been able to go anywhere near it.

DSi enhanced games suck anyway.

QUOTE(Costello @ Dec 20 2010, 04:45 AM)
And finally, the last of the 3 features we were expecting: DSiware ROM support. Well don't hold your breath because that will probably never come.
It has never been claimed that the iEVO will have DSiWare ROM support. That was only a hope of a bunch of tempers. But the first USB Loader on the Wii didnt exist since the first day of Wii homebrew. That same can be applied to DSiWare ROM support.

So that's it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-