Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
mjax said:
Please don't remove my post, I don't intend it as an offense to anyone.

If people are fearing that critical questions aren't allowed in an internet forum, then there's obviously something wrong with this forum.

I agree that Costello obviously likes DSTwo and R4i Gold CN a bit. lol.

But Costello shared some important news (like the delay of the card). Maybe it would have been better if the article would have been written from a more neutral perspective. Well, it's the internet. He can express what he's thinking about the card.

perezosogato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i guess, the reason why costello disappointed on the cyclods ievo is that they three features may not come for the first production
However, the three features are the main point on this new card from cyclods team . And more, the three point has something bad on experience, we all know it is flashcard, but some features need to use official software, "DSiware ROM support.""but it would only be games that you legally downloaded from DSiware." which means it jump from the flashcard's direction.

sum up, if cyclods team need to make some improvement , otherwise, it will be
hate2.gif

cyclods team should know that promise is a man word, do not make any mistake on that ...

sum up, if those features does not come together or the third is still same , i wont buy it either . as the price is tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hight amoun flashcard.

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously? "Relying on hackers" to get features working? So the $50 price tag is for the potential of playing dsi mode games?

Not to mention that I doubt many developers are going to be jumping on the dsi mode homebrew thing.

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
I have to agree with some of the finger pointing here. This post seems unusually negative. There's definitely bad news here, but seems like you guys took one piece of info and decided the post wasn't long enough and you guys put in a bunch of filler? If you want to complain about delays, do you guys remember how many MONTHS the Supercard DS TWO was delayed?

Exactly my point.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
mjax said:

It is not just that it is delayed. I am pissed that they are relying on consumers to create a function (DSi Mode) that they promised they had as a basic, exclusive feature on their cart.

It is like if Team SC said, "Hey, we are going to make the DSTWO have GBA and faster SNES Emulators!!! AND Video player OMG"

and a week after they announced it...

"Oh, uh, sorry. we can't figure it out. You guys can have the SDK and make these things yourselves..."

THAT is what I am really pissed off about.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
mjax said:

the problem is everyone has assumptions about what dsi mode means or would mean. i posted in the original ievo thread about what they had actually accomplished and what was yet to be unlocked. its negative in the respect that it seems to confirm speculation of those who "assumed." but most of us who knew about this card 5 months ago already knew they didn't have the nand or sd slot yet, and probably never will. the postive side to all of this, and sadly most users only want to pirate roms, is the potential for great homebrew projects. i could care less if 10 or so roms now have camera features, really. i want emulators, homebrew, and new applications that run only because of the faster cpu and extra ram.

-another world

reiragna1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They maybe doing this for years and then the result is not that amazing. They may get more customers if they just concentrated on updating their carts than making this shit about the camera on the DSi. I may just use my Phone's camera instead of this.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Alright, I didn't really want to get into the specifics, but people are angry over probably the flimsiest statement in the entire article.

Exact quote: "Our inside source tells us that the team is just hoping for hackers to find a way to make it work once the card is released, but they haven't been able to go anywhere near it."

Please think of this critically. Most likely, the "inside" source found that the team didn't have too much progress on it, and inferred that they were releasing it and relying on outside talent. Now the statement could be true, or it might not. But the issue is that very VERY negative spin put on this piece of information by either the "inside" source or by GBAtemp. The only way that statement could be presented as fact is if Team Cyclops themselves said it, and I highly doubt they would leak it to GBAtemp just to ruin their own profits.

@AW - True enough. Frankly almost none of the post came as a shock to me. But I can definitely see some people getting a completely new outlook now.

You and AW are right. You have a point.

I'll keep my bashing low, from now on. At least until TC confirms that these "inside sources" are true. =P

But really though, if it does not have an onboard CPU, then isn't it weaker than the DS+SCTWO combo anyways?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Schlupi said:
But really though, if it does not have an onboard CPU, then isn't it weaker than the DS+SCTWO combo anyways?

How is it weaker? If you can run homebrew in DSi mode then you get more ram and a faster CPU. Plus you get access to the cameras for face tracking.
The power usage might be better & once all the other carts catch on then you won't get such a fragmented user base.

All they promised was DSi homebrew, anyone that says otherwise misread their announcement or is trying to drum up more business for the SCTWO.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
files running on the ismart mm/scds2 have a 50% data throughput loss from cpu-to-msd-to-slot1. i've talked to a few developers who have run test, and each confirmed this. homebrew running in dsi mode will be better, faster, and have more potential no matter how you look at it. the nand and sd slot are physically not available after anything runs in slot-1. in regards to dsi-ware, i say who cares. with everything we can already pirate, why are people so upset about having to buy a few dsi-ware titles. dsi roms will come eventually as people want this feature, i wouldn't be suprised if cyclops didn't have them working by the time the kit ships next month.

i'm still excited for this card and others should be as well. the only problem, as i see it, is getting developers interested in coding/porting dsi homebrew. offering a $50 flash kit isn't going to be enough, its time they step up and start paying for development.

-another world

Missed this post. Did not know that there is a 50% data loss form CPU-MSD-SLot 1....

So it would be true that GBA emulation and SNES emulation WOULD in fact be faster, and possible.

It is good to know...

I stand corrected, then -- Willing to admit it.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Meh. Team Cyclops has been a bag of wank lately. Games not being patched, no sign of any new firmware, not even a courtesy note saying 'dont worry we'll get round to it'. Much as I value loyalty I'm seriously considering jumping ship to the SCDS2.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
Meh. Team Cyclops has been a bag of wank lately. Games not being patched, no sign of any new firmware, not even a courtesy note saying 'dont worry we'll get round to it'. Much as I value loyalty I'm seriously considering jumping ship to the SCDS2.

Sorry, have to switch back to Fanboy Mode...

You will NOT be disappointed, Blaze163
wink.gif

Even an Acekard will treat you better.

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another World said:
files running on the ismart mm/scds2 have a 50% data throughput loss from cpu-to-msd-to-slot1. i've talked to a few developers who have run test, and each confirmed this. homebrew running in dsi mode will be better, faster, and have more potential no matter how you look at it. the nand and sd slot are physically not available after anything runs in slot-1. in regards to dsi-ware, i say who cares. with everything we can already pirate, why are people so upset about having to buy a few dsi-ware titles. dsi roms will come eventually as people want this feature, i wouldn't be suprised if cyclops didn't have them working by the time the kit ships next month.

i'm still excited for this card and others should be as well. the only problem, as i see it, is getting developers interested in coding/porting dsi homebrew. offering a $50 flash kit isn't going to be enough, its time they step up and start paying for development.

-another world

A constant 50% loss is not entirely true. The throughput loss only occurs when transferring large amounts of data such as a two screens worth of data. A single screen on the other hand can be updated at 60 fps and would result in a less than 50% loss. This is assuming you wait for the image to completely transfer which halts the program until the transfer is done and then continues with the rest of the code. The sdk does have the option to not wait for screen updates which diminishes most of the power loss but introduces a frame skipping type setup. In code with no screen updating there is no power loss as all the processing is done internally with no data transfers to and from the DS. Clever programming can minimize the loss using timers to split processor usage between screen updates and program execution. Once/if the Supercard Team adds multi-threading to the sdk, this should/would hopefully be less of an issue.

The only advantage that the DSi mode would have over the DSTwo would be access to the video hardware and arm 7 for audio; the performance of emulators for both setups would entirely depend on the programmers and their method of delivering the emulator (port or coded from scratch).

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Eon-Rider said:
Not that I was planning on getting one but it supposedly doesn't work on Australian DSi either?

I think an Australian DSi is just an EUR DSi sold in Australia.

smf said:
QUOTE(Schlupi @ Dec 20 2010, 10:29 AM) But really though, if it does not have an onboard CPU, then isn't it weaker than the DS+SCTWO combo anyways?

How is it weaker? If you can run homebrew in DSi mode then you get more ram and a faster CPU. Plus you get access to the cameras for face tracking.
The power usage might be better & once all the other carts catch on then you won't get such a fragmented user base.

All they promised was DSi homebrew, anyone that says otherwise misread their announcement or is trying to drum up more business for the SCTWO.

Actually, if you read one of my previous posts, the DSi has an ARM7 and an ARM9 processor, with the ARM9 running at 133MHz and the ARM7 supplementing it.

The iPlayer, which in itself is WEAKER than the DS2, has 600MHz coming from an ARM9 and a DSP, meaning the DS2 has MORE processing power.

In terms of processing power:

DS2>iPlayer>iSMM (or maybe this goes before the iPlayer, not sure)>DSi>DS Lite>DS Phat

DS2 alone >iEvo+DSi+DS Lite+DS Phat.

So... No, it will be weaker.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
to everyone who think this article biased well I merely expressed the general staff reaction when we heard the news.
This isn't bias. And you will see what I'm talking about when the homebrew bounty is unveiled.

Anyhow what did you think I was gonna do? think I should have kept all that info for myself? i shouldnt have posted the truth? how would that be any more partial than telling the truth- a series of facts? I even called people to make their own minds.

we are NOT gonna let people keep their hopes up and be disappointed when the thing comes out.

Pharaosvizier if you could read properly the source is mentioned in the FIRST sentence of the article for gods sake!
QUOTE said:
We have received a few new elements of information from resellers and hackers who have participated in the CycloDS iEvolution project and it's not looking too good unfortunately.

I think it is perfectly legitimate to be disappointed when the team promises you something awesome (DSi mode flashcart yay!) and sells it at very high price... but all you get is stuff that other carts already do... and 0.3 megapixel cameras.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
To be fair I guess having the cameras enabled in Homebrew might one day pave the way for the DSi version of Pokemon Snap, make it one of those 'enhanced reality' games like the one with the ghosts, where it superimposes images of pokemon onto the display of the real world from the cameras and you try to take the best shots you can. Would take a lot of effort to create but it'd be pretty sweet. Which is why I cannot understand why Nintendo hasn't made it themselves yet. It'd even have great potential for online stuff, sharing photos and the like.

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
on their site they never stated that the DSi was fully hacked neither promised any of the features you all prizef the most. This thread just stopped that stupid hype.

But just the possibility of using the additional RAM and CPU is a really good feature. "Native" homebrew would be better than using that battery hungry DSTWO (and I own one xD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel