Actor Pete Postlethwaite Dies Aged 64

arogance1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pete Postlethwaite, one of Britain's best-loved actors, has died at the age of 64 after a long battle with cancer.

The star of The Usual Suspects and Brassed Off had continued to work until recent months while receiving treatment.

Journalist and friend Andrew Richardson said the Oscar-nominated actor passed away peacefully in hospital in Shropshire on Sunday.

Mr Postlethwaite, who was made an OBE in the 2004 New Year's Honours List, starred in some of the most popular films of the 1990s and was once described by director Steven Spielberg as "the best actor in the world".

English actor and comedian David Schneider described him as a "national treasure" and a "wonderful bloke".

Mr Postlethwaite received his Oscar nomination for his performance as Guiseppe Conlon in the 1993 film In The Name Of The Father, about the wrongful convictions of the so-called Guildford Four for an IRA bomb attack.

The Warrington-born actor, who lived in rural Shropshire near the Welsh border, starred in the film alongside his friend and fellow actor Daniel Day-Lewis and Emma Thompson.

His performance as Kobayashi in 1995 hit The Usual Suspects was widely lauded by critics.

Other films included The Shipping News, Romeo & Juliet, The Omen and The Town, and he worked with Spielberg on The Lost World: Jurassic Park and slave trade epic Amistad.

One of his more recent appearences was in Inception, the hit science-fiction film directed by Christopher Nolan.

Mr Postlethwaite originally wanted to be a priest but then became a teacher. He began his acting career at the Everyman Theatre in Liverpool where he rubbed shoulders with the likes of Bill Nighy, Julie Walters and Jonathan Pryce.

In 2008 he returned to the Everyman to play the lead in King Lear, a role that he had always wanted.

Mr Postlethwaite was also a political activist who marched against the war in Iraq and starred in the 2009 film about global warming, The Age of Stupid.

He is survived by his wife, Jacqui, son Will and daughter, Lily.

Stars of the stage and screen have paid tribute on Twitter, with Stephen Fry writing: "The loss of the great Pete Postlethwaite is a very sad way to begin a year."

Gavin and Stacey star James Corden said: "Such sad news about Pete Postlethwaite. What an actor and gentleman he was

Source

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I knew the name but I wasn't sure of the face; they're showing clips on the news now so I recognise the face.

A shame, really. I watched Romeo + Juliet at school, I've seen Æon Flux but not Inception yet. Seen him in some TV stuff too, I think.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very sad indeed.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious