Hacking Acekards AK2.1 "compact edition"

ROM Troll

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Find them at Deal Extreme for $12.99. The card reader/writer is no longer included but the quality, durability, and power consumption is improved according to Acekard. And there's no hole and gibbose chips in the shell.

Another thread was referring to these as AK2.1+

ROM Troll

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I dont have one in my hands yet, I've ordered three from DE today. Click on the Acekard link in my post above and see for yourself.

I included a link to them at DE in my post above.

Fidgeteer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to Acekard, the box and 2.1 update are synonymous. The change in packaging confirms you've received the newer card:

http://www.acekard.com/news.php

"New package of acekard2.1. Here is the pictures of new package of acekard2.1. This time we use a paper box and add 'ver 2.1' on the sticker."

TrolleyDave said:
Do you know if the ones in the boxes without the card reader are definitely this version? I'll pick one up if they are.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fidgeteer said:
According to Acekard, the box and 2.1 update are synonymous. The change in packaging confirms you've received the newer card:

That is the 2.1 v2... They did indeed ship some 2.1s out in the clamshell, I know personally as i received one FROM them with 2.1 on label and in plastic clamshell packaging.

2.0 plastic = green pcb and chip protruding (possible fat error or 010101 error if purchased recently)
2.1 plastic = v1 green pcb and chip protruding, old fixed batch (label on cart says v2.1)
2.1 paper box = v2 black pcb and no chip protruding, new retooled batch

Both are real and the "fixed" version.

evilhomura89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
ozzymud said:
Fidgeteer said:

That is the 2.1 v2... They did indeed ship some 2.1s out in the clamshell, I know personally as i received one FROM them with 2.1 on label and in plastic clamshell packaging.

2.0 plastic = green pcb and chip protruding (possible fat error or 010101 error if purchased recently)
2.1 plastic = v1 green pcb and chip protruding, old fixed batch (label on cart says v2.1)
2.1 paper box = v2 black pcb and no chip protruding, new retooled batch

Both are real and the "fixed" version.

Reviews for the one with black PCB is out (in chinese language though but plenty of pict to see)
http://www.yyjoy.com/html/93/n-503893.html

ROM Troll

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smiths said:
Just req'd sample from AK. You bastards made me too curious about it.

You bastards shouldn't have to request a sample from those other bastards! LOL
Samples should have been sent to you prior to public release since your OS/firmware carrys some of Acekards interest. Anyone who cares about the hardware/software lifecycle process knows that.
Good luck.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is it just my imagination, or does it look like the clips are designed differently on the new one? I'm surprised they're still using clips, but at least it appears that these clips might be a little more sturdy.

-Bri

evilhomura89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The new cart with black PCB is only available for the new packaging only or all Acekard including the old packaging with TF card reader??

This is because i ordered the old packaging one from DealExtreme 4 days ago, I'm wondering whether will mine come with black PCB?? Or only those in new packaging will have black PCB?

Giangsta

Trophies
XP
Country
i think it depends whether they still have the old stock, they might send you the older one if those are still in.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it appears that:

paper box == black pcb v2.1

plastic clamshell could be v2.0 if old stock, if new stock it is 2.1 green pcb

evilhomura89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

GrathXVI

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So all the acekard 2s on DX are the black PCB/no extruding chip/better power v2.1s? I should probably snag one before it goes back up in price, my AceKard 2 has been acting funny sometimes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all