Hacking AceKard2i - Cheap piece of crap?

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The two AceKard2i I bought arrived today, I'm not sure if it's just the ones I got or if all of them are this shitty but there is definitely an issue. Hopefully someone can help me clear this up, thanks in advance.

First thing I noticed is the flimsy nature of the build, compared to my supercard ds one, I feel like I could snap this in two. Where the two pieces of the body meet at the bottom, the plastic gives really easily. After playing with it awhile I noticed that the littlest bump fucks the game up. On further examination I noticed that the fit of the cartridge is a bit loose as is the fit of the micro sd card. Whats even stranger is that one of the cartridge has a spring loader for the micro sd, while the other does not. The last problem is an issue of slight lag. Its a bit sluggish, screens hang before loading and the frame rate of speedy games (GTA) seems to drop frequently.

I was on the fence about purchasing these cards, as I felt they would be out shined by the more DSI feature enriched cartridges that will surely follow. I did not however think that the quality of the actual build would be such an obvious rush job, especially after reading the positive review that was posted here.
frown.gif

Anyone else encounter any of these issues or did I just receive two lemons?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well.... I know one thing is that there are some AceKard 2i s that are spring loaded. And the build was always built like that. So you shoulda known and been prepared to handle the responsibility of keeping it. Some people have said that they created AceKard 2i s that are not built with 2 pieces. Instead of clips, they said in the newer ones there aren't. Even if the spring isn't on the other one, it shouldn't even be a problem. With or without... No problem right?

That part about hanging in the beginning is normal. Happens to me all the time, so basically all you need is patience. But that mostly happens only with the newer games such as Pokemon Platinum or GTA: CTW.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It having a spring loader or not, doesn't matter to me, the fact that small movements makes it freeze, does. And that happens on both. After taking another look at the review thats posted here I'm beginning to notice differences in that build and that of mine. Namely no bump under the sticker and perhaps most problematic no plastic tabs separating the contacts from one another. Starting to Look like a bait and switch on Acekards part.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you tried using AKAIO on it? I haven't seen any fake AceKard 2i's out there. I have also heard that the newer versions have no bumps... /chips. I am not suer about the tabs though...

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah AKAIO, works without a hitch. Really cool loader too. I'm going to look into returning these tomorrow, hopefully it won't be too big of a hassle.

Tsuchy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel ya, i get the same problem at times with a slight bumb n it just fucks up my games even when i put it ito my pocket i was like wth is up with this.. then again it was a rush for me to buy it. i sorta regret i just hope the one the M3 team is coming out with is better than the acekard2i

WarriorMJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mine has absolutely no hanging (that I can tell), and is one of the older ones with a bump under the sicker. I finished GTA without any problems.

Wasabiz

Trophies
XP
Country
i never had any troubles with it at all, unlike my r4, where it hanged quite a few times when i bumped it =/

Martiin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you probably got the huge bad batch of AK2i's
because there was a very good batch , which was probably one of the older ones closer to the initial release date...
at least thats what i was noticing...

Kaoz360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well my acekard2i has no bump or spring and is from the new batch(arrived last week) i think as it came in box and not a plastic case and works as smooth as a baby's bottom,using akaio 1.4.1 and with a sandisk 4g ultra class 6 card ive had no lag what so ever while playing any game so far including gta.

I suppose i must have "good card" instead of a suspect one like some people have had and my acekard2i card build seems fine

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you got a bad pair. Mine has only had the issue with the spring, but that resolved itself.. somehow.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendude92 said:
Sounds like you got a bad pair.

Thats what she said.
unsure.gif

Seriously though, after reading through these acekard forums I'm noticing a lot of similar issues. If I can't return these I'm going to contact shaunj66 and see if he'll do a follow up review if I provide him with one of these newer cartridges to compare to his review build.

monkey2005

Trophies
XP
Country
Splych said:
Have you tried using AKAIO on it? I haven't seen any fake AceKard 2i's out there. I have also heard that the newer versions have no bumps... /chips. I am not suer about the tabs though...

im a little unsure.. i received to AK2i the other day and i must admit that the build quality isnt great and when inserting the SD card it can be stiff and fiddly. Also the cards arrived in a box with no USB adapter which i thought was strange.. also on the card the gold connections are open with no plastic seperators between them allowing me access to pull on the board of the card (like the R4 fakes did).. dont know if thats standard or not with the AK2i's though?

the cards work excellent however so no real complaints other than the build quality as yet

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
monkey2005 said:
Splych said:

im a little unsure.. i received to AK2i the other day and i must admit that the build quality isnt great and when inserting the SD card it can be stiff and fiddly. Also the cards arrived in a box with no USB adapter which i thought was strange.. also on the card the gold connections are open with no plastic seperators between them allowing me access to pull on the board of the card (like the R4 fakes did).. dont know if thats standard or not with the AK2i's though?

the cards work excellent however so no real complaints other than the build quality as yet

You've obviously never had a genuine R4. The real R4, and a lot of other flash cards, do/did not have the plastic tabs seperating the gold contacts.

snukems

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i too have also noticed on my ak2i that it has several glitches as it were. firstly im dissapointed in the design aspect and do not understand the spring mechanism(whats the point of that). also the main problems i am having with it is that when i load games they are sometimes very very slow too load i mean im a patient person but that is a joke. and i tryed to change the skin did everything right changed it on the console and instead of the skin coming up it froze the console altogether. tryed to use akaio and that stopped all games from working.had to go back to official firmware.Have also noticed it really does not do all that much ads other carts do or is that just me. Am really regretting buying it now just wondering what the i touch 2 will be like thinking about giving that ago. If anyone reccomends a different cart please feel free to let me kn ow thanks. (soz for babbling)

Wedge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine last week (glued case, microsd spring loaded and no square chip sticking up under the label) and it has performed well except for the problem that bumping the DSi would cause the DSi to think the cartridge had been removed.

Upon examination, it seems that the flash cart contacts aren't seating firmly against the DSi contacts. I cut a 1"x1" square of very thin cardstock and placed it in the DSi cart slot so that, when the ak2i is inserted with the label side against the cardstock, the contacts seat against each other much more firmly. That seems to have worked, because I have not had anymore 'cardridge has been removed' errors since.

Ventus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've experienced loads of lag with mine as well. Games such as Final Fantasy CC:EOT lags as hell when in a big fight and GTA lags even more (you sometimes drive on a blue patch whilst being chased by several cops)

I thought this could be fixed by firmware-updates. Didn't think the card itself had anything to do with it. But right now, this feels like an enormous waste of money. "/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.