Hacking AceKard 2i Help

Cza102282

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am about to give up trying to get 2 specific roms to work on my AceKard 2i for my DSi XL. These games are Crosswords DS (2287) and Mahjongg DS (2655). They both work fine on my CycloDS on my DS Lite.

Here is a list of things I have tried...
-trimming the rom
-using AKAIO firmware with newest loader
-trying to find different dump of the rom
-enable/disable cheats and soft reset

Crosswords DS will freeze on a white screen after selecting either option from the title screen. Mahjongg DS will freeze with a black screen after you chosen all your options and are about to start an actual game.

So are these two problems related? Are there some games that just do not work on certain cards? I am running out of options at this point so any help would be appreciated.

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
Things to check out off of the top of my head: are you using clean dumps, are you using the panasonic formatter to format your card, have you reformatted your card then reinstalled AKAIO and then put just the two games on?

Cza102282

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they are clean dumps.

I tried reformatting with AKAIO using FAT32 and just put the two games.

I did not use the panasonic formatter. Should I try that?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cza102282 said:
Yes, they are clean dumps.

I tried reformatting with AKAIO using FAT32 and just put the two games.

I did not use the panasonic formatter. Should I try that?
You can't format with AKAIO. You can format THEN put AKAIO on your card.

Grab the SD formatter from here: http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=6027
Format your card, then get a clean copy of AKAIO from http://www.akaio.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557
And then update the loaders from the link at the top of the post.

Cza102282

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My mistake before. I meant to say I reformatted and then copied AKAIO.

I followed the instructions and formatted using the panasonic formatter with a QUICK FORMAT and FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT=OFF. I grabbed fresh copies of AKAIO and the loader. I put the loader into the 'loaders' directory. I copied over the two games I was having problems with. Same results as before. Not working.

Does this mean they are possibly bad dumps? I have tried several different versions of each game. How can I tell if it is a clean dump?

Also, all of the other games I have tried are working fine.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cza102282 said:
How can I tell if it is a clean dump?
Go to http://advanscene.com/html/dbsearch.php
Tick the "[ ] - NDS - Release List" box at the top
Type the game name into the Find: box and press the Search button
It should give you a list of games that match. For example, I search for "Crosswords" and get:CODEÂÂÂÂ4700ÂÂÂÂCrosswords - Cruciverba ItalianiÂÂÂÂItalyÂÂ Eeprom - 4 kbitÂÂÂÂ 128 Mbit
ÂÂÂÂ2287ÂÂÂÂCrosswords DSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ USAÂÂÂÂ Eeprom - 512 kbitÂÂ 256 Mbit
ÂÂÂÂ1797ÂÂÂÂCrossworDSÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂEuropeÂÂEeprom - 64 kbitÂÂÂÂ128 Mbit
ÂÂÂÂ1445ÂÂÂÂNew York Times Crosswords, TheÂÂÂÂÂÂEuropeÂÂEeprom - 64 kbitÂÂÂÂ128 Mbit
ÂÂÂÂ1108ÂÂÂÂNew York Times Crosswords, TheÂÂÂÂÂÂUSAÂÂÂÂ Eeprom - 64 kbitÂÂÂÂ128 Mbit
Find the game you want (by name, ID or region), and click it's name to go to an information page (Crosswords DS is here)
In the "ROM Info" box, look for the CRC32, in this case it's 26D104CD
Run a CRC32 hash check on your ROM (must be unpatched and untrimmed) and see if it matches.

For hash checks, I use HashCheck from http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/
After installing it, you can Right Click any file or folder, select Properties and then go to the Checksums tab.
You can see the CRC32, MD5 and SHA-1 hashes of your selections and make a .sfv/.md5/.sha1 verification file for later use (good for comparing folder contents based on names).

Cza102282

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. This is indeed useful information for the future. I will bookmark it.

I looked through and did find that I had some roms that did not match correctly. I deleted those. I copied over the two roms for the games that matched. Tried them again. Same thing. I guess I can rule out the clean roms question.

Are there any issues with certain roms running on a DSi XL? Are there any other settings I could try? I tried switching the save type, enabling/disabling soft reset and cheats. Anything else to try?

Thanks for sticking with this.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cza102282 said:
Thanks. This is indeed useful information for the future. I will bookmark it.

I looked through and did find that I had some roms that did not match correctly. I deleted those. I copied over the two roms for the games that matched. Tried them again. Same thing. I guess I can rule out the clean roms question.

Are there any issues with certain roms running on a DSi XL? Are there any other settings I could try? I tried switching the save type, enabling/disabling soft reset and cheats. Anything else to try?

Thanks for sticking with this.
I kind of doubt it will help, but you can try the alternate boot modes (Press and Hold the A button when selecting a game, also the X button has a boot mode).

I'll give Crosswords DS a try in a bit, but I don't have a DSi.
Out of curiosity, what is your AK2i's HWID?

Edit: Crosswords DS works fine for me on my AK2i with a DS 'Phat'.
Can you try a different MicroSD/HC card for the AK2i?

Cza102282

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A different SD card did the trick!

I tried using a SanDisk 2GB micro and it worked for both games. Before I was using a SanDisk SD/HC 4GB. What kind of card are you using? Reason I ask is because I am trying to narrow down whether it is a SD vs. SD/HC issue or not or if it is just the actual card itself. I don't have any other cards to test on unfortunately.

Thanx for all your help.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a 4GB Class 6 ADATA (Korea) for my AK2i (and a 1GB Sandisk MicroSD for my real R4).

It seems AceKards are somewhat picky about what MicroSDHCs they use.
Kind of odd that it hasn't been a problem before now though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1