Hacking Acekard 2i - flimsy slot-1 connectivity

d0ogie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought an Acekard 2i from RealDSi, a vendor in the western US.

I doubt that all 2i's suffer from this problem, don't know whether I've got a "clone". But the Acekard will frequently lose connectivity to my DSi. Obviously the next time a game needs to read from Slot 1, it'll crash. Bummer.

It is not physically built nor does it fit as tightly as retail/commercial Slot 1 cartridges - there's quite a bit of wiggle.

Gotten so frustrated with this, starting to think I need to do the old "blow on the cartridge" NES trick to get it to work
smile.gif

For reference, the chip/HW ID that appeared during 1.4 update was:
CHIP ID:8041fd2 HW:8181

(as an aside: I asked the vendor if the card was or could be pre-prepped for DSi's running 1.4, and was told 'yes'. It wasn't.)

edit=If you have this problem, make a "shim" using a piece of paper, or some tape on the label side of the Acekard. It'll work great after that.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a very well documented issue with most Acekard 2i cards. The fix is well known as "The Paper Trick". do a search on that or look at some recent posts in the Acekard forum for Paper trick, I believe someone posted a how to recently.

With mine it's slightly different. I have a piece of paper inside the card to make the contact of the microSD better with the Acekard.

Try both.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
It does sound like a bad contact issue, and yes the paper trick should work.

Being a new card though, are you gonna be happy doing the paper trick everytime you want use it?

d0ogie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XWolf said:
This is a very well documented issue with most Acekard 2i cards. The fix is well known as "The Paper Trick". do a search on that or look at some recent posts in the Acekard forum for Paper trick, I believe someone posted a how to recently.

With mine it's slightly different. I have a piece of paper inside the card to make the contact of the microSD better with the Acekard.

Try both.

Much appreciated, thanks. Found several references to this as you said, one at DX here.

Used my RealDSi receipt and cut a 1"w x 2"h chunk out of it. Folded that over so that it's effectively two pieces thick. Works just great.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Glad to have helped. Thanks for the feedback and thank you for your first posts being so well constructed. Lots of details and clear title. Good English too. Very refreshing.

Welcome to GBAtemp!

d0ogie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, I think regular ol' tape, on the label side of the card, will do a better/more permanent job here.

It only needs a tiny shim to keep it in contact.

Not really worth returning the card over - heck, for the price, hard to complain much. With AKAIO, it'll handle anything you throw at it.

kingofgamesgx

Hitokiri Battousai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats funny is i had contact issues with my AK2i and new DSi i used the paper trick for 3 or so days and took the paper out and haven't had a contact issue since

,found it funny how leaving the paper in for 3 or so days fixed the contact issue completely now i can play it like any old card
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up