AceKard 2 from DX

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by AK8, Dec 10, 2008.

Dec 10, 2008

AceKard 2 from DX by AK8 at 11:40 PM (2,562 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. AK8
    OP

Newcomer AK8 Member

Canada
    I just got my AceKard2 in the mail which was ordered from DX and even though the packaging says Acekard 2, the sticker on the card says Ver 2.1 and is placed pretty badly.

I would take a picture, but I'm sorta cameraless.

After returning my fake DSTTs to DX twice and asking them to send me an AceKard, I'm kinda worried about if it's fake. Do AceKard fakes even exist?

2. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Haven't heard of fake AceKard 2.

3. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    This is real, no worries. 2.1 is the fixed version. The stickers are known to be placed badly in some of them since the stickers are applied by hand.

4. open6l

Newcomer open6l Newbie

Canada
    they are real - ordered 2 myself a few weeks ago from DX and they are the new v2.1... Haven't had a single problem with em yet and I'm running 8gb microSD cards with them... As mentioned in the thread - the stickers are somewhat offcenter but who cares... remove and reapply if it bugs ya that much [​IMG]

5. AK8
    OP

Newcomer AK8 Member

Canada
    Awesome! Now, I can sit back, and start playing Fire Emblem DS without worrying about my DS imploding.

6. jmckutchin

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Psh, you guys got it easy. My sticker was Upside-Down! Still works like a charm though.

7. spiritos

Newcomer spiritos Advanced Member

Israel
    hehehe...just fix the sticker position...LOL

8. ShAdOwFuRi

Member ShAdOwFuRi GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    you'll be fine, I'm as of yet to find a fake acekard 2

9. TurboC

Newcomer TurboC Member

Canada
    I received the cart this last week. The build quality is so weak. I'm very not satisfied with it, starting to wondering myself if I was better with an Edge of DSTT. What is your opinion?

Possible to exchange with DX?

10. skyman747

Member skyman747 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The build quality? Is that what is going to make you give it up?

It is a great card, and what are you planning on doing? Playing Rugby with it?

11. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It's true that the Acekard is a bit less sturdy than other carts because it's held together with those clips, but I've never heard of one breaking (and if it did I imagine you could just glue it shut). How often do you take your flash cart out of your NDS anyway, and are you planning on throwing it across the room very often?

-Bri

12. TurboC

Newcomer TurboC Member

Canada
    skyman747 and Bri, good points both. But what if I want to scratch all my lottery ticket with it? [​IMG]

I just don't want to have a defective cart in few month. I just switched from a real R4 to this AceKard and the difference in build quality is very huge.

13. Bri

United States
    Imagine all the pennies you'll have from your savings by buying an Acekard instead of an Edge, which you can then use to do your lottery ticket scratching!

Like I said, I have yet to hear of an Acekard actually breaking due to its build quality (I've had mine for almost a year and it's still the same as when I bought it). If the plastic clips were to break, you could glue the cart shut and it would probably be sturdier than with the clips. And if you couldn't glue it shut for some reason, then you've lost what -- $12? It's not like it's that big of an investment, really.

So, yes, I acknowledge that the Acekard is a little bit flimsier than some other flash carts, but I just don't see it as that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

-Bri

14. solarsun

Newcomer solarsun Member

United States
    I've had mine for 6 months and never had a problem. It is rarely taken out of the ds anyway (only when I'm doing a firmware/cheat update or switching games on my card). I just got 2 acekards (that I'm sending out as gifts to people) and the stickers are kind of lopsided too on them but I've tested both of the cards with my ds/micro sd and they work just fine, like they should. If your that worried just fix the sticker OR you could get creative and MAKE YOUR OWN [​IMG]! Turn your acekard into spongebob.

15. Bri

United States
    Just curious, but why do you take out your Acekard to do a firmware/cheat update or to switch games on your card? The microSD card comes out without taking the Acekard out of the NDS.

-Bri

16. solarsun

Newcomer solarsun Member

United States
    No wifi around here I can use as of yet. I need to save up for the wifi ds adaptor.

17. Bri

United States
    You misunderstood my question. You should be able to take the microSD card out of the Acekard without taking the Acekard out of the NDS, thereby avoiding removal of the Acekard.

-Bri

18. solarsun

Newcomer solarsun Member

United States
    OOOh I do that too.

But see I had a games n music before an acekard and I did that and the spring on it broke. Luckly I had ordered my acekard a week before it really broke (pretty good timing on my part) so all I had to do was wait a week for my new and better replacement.

19. sturmen

Newcomer sturmen Member

United States
    I ordered two from DealExtreme, one with the microSDHC adpater and one without, and both came perfectly fine, except one had the little fastener loop things bent up but otherwise great.

20. TurboC

Newcomer TurboC Member

Canada
    Sorry to everyone for saying that, but I think I highly prefer the R4 to the Acekard. This last cart doesn't seem to give me something more. MicroSDHC support? Bof... 2GB is enough for me... Beautiful GUI? Bof... To many options for nothing. Don't really like the spring-loaded slot... What else?

Is the compatibility with retail games better?