ACEKard 2 faulty batch.

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Riorio00, Sep 28, 2008.

Sep 28, 2008

ACEKard 2 faulty batch. by Riorio00 at 8:56 PM (1,721 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Riorio00
    OP

Newcomer Riorio00 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hullo,
    As you can guess, this is my first post here, and it's a question.

What are the odds of me ending up with one of the faulty ACEKard 2's?
    I have the M3 DS Simply at the moment, and have for over a year. Its a nice piece of kit, but it's old and I want a replacement.
    I'm leaning towards the ACEkard, but I don't want to get a broken card, and have to ship it back to Hong Kong.

Thanks for any help, bye.

2. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Chances are very slim to none, the bad batch is completely gone and replaced..

So your chance to get faulty AceKard 2 is not bigger than getting any other cart faulty..

(and that is possible, but chances are small)

3. Riorio00
    OP

Newcomer Riorio00 Newbie

United Kingdom
    Thanks a ton!
    Almost all reviews and posts I could find outside of this site were about the "FAT Error".
    I'm gonna order me one tomorrow then.

Sorry to change subject, but any suggestions on a Slot-2 card at all?

4. ozzymud

Member ozzymud GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Have a look at these threads:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=101670

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=106855

The bad batch is definately not sold out everywhere... if my supplier were to replace the one i RMA'd today it would not be the 2.1, waiting on Oct 1st for him to ship a new one.

With DX it seems to be iffy... some get a 2 others a 2.1... might wanna wait a bit for them.

Now there is a whole new 2.1 in the wild with a complete redesign (black pcb, no chip sticking out)... but it seems to only be available in Asia at the moment... aint propegated to the rest of the world (even still awaiting the official announcement from Acekard)

5. Riorio00
    OP

Newcomer Riorio00 Newbie

United Kingdom
    I'll be waiting a while before I get one anyway.
    Blew a fuse in my DS while changing the case.

6. ozzymud

Member ozzymud GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Depending on how long a while is... Acekard2 could be Acekard3 by then [​IMG]

7. Riorio00
    OP

Newcomer Riorio00 Newbie

United Kingdom
    I could have a shiny new DS lite by next week, so, I'm thinking of ordering it soon.

8. nicklessguy

Member nicklessguy GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I just bought one from Dealextreme and it died on me after 2nd or 3rd boot...

9. heyyouguys

Member heyyouguys GBAtemp Fan

United States

I disagree with the above statement. I feel that with my past experience with the AK2, especially if buying from DealExtreme, you have a good chance of getting a faulty unit. Save yourself the trouble and go with the EDGE from DX.

10. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The units currently being sold on DX have been redesigned. It's unlikely you'll get a faulty one.

-Bri

11. kingkevin

Newcomer kingkevin Member

United States
    Im reading into all this. I dont have any yet, but I would NOT get an acekard 2
    Im still researching EDGE. Im leaning twords getting one though.

12. Bri

United States
    I'll just repeat what I said in the other thread:

For $13 USD ($14 with a microSD reader) from dealextreme.com you can't really go wrong with the Acekard 2. If you happen to get a bad cart, dealextreme.com will replace it free of charge.

That said, I have seen no reports on the Acekard forum of any new ones sold by dealextreme.com being faulty.

Therefore, I would recommend getting the Acekard 2 which has a much better menu than both the Edge and DSTT.

But if you're really worried, the Edge is a decent cart and far better than the DSTT (and also more expensive than either the Acekard 2 or the DSTT).

-Bri

13. eldaddio

Newcomer eldaddio Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Got an acekard 2 from DX about 3 weeks ago for a friend of mine. Last week she came to see me as it wasn't loading, and on inspection the MicroSD card appears to have been wiped (chkdisk reported lost chains but was unable to fix).

This was a 2GB card and pretty full, I've since replaced it with a 4GB one. Hopefully the problem was the microSD and not the acekard.

NB: It was a version 2.1 acekard.

14. Bri

United States
    eldaddio, keep us up to date here (or better yet on the Acekard 2 forum). As you noted, problems with the microSD/HC card can be caused by a bad microSD/HC card, bad card reader, improper use, improper formatting, not using "safely remove hardware", etc.

I don't think chkdsk works with microSD/HC cards.

Were you able to reformat the microSD/HC card?

This would be the first I've heard of this sort of problem with any of the newer AK2's (I'm not sure if anyone has reported that particular problem with older carts or not).

I have heard of microSD/HC cards being "wiped" by other carts and usually reformatting works. Occasionally, users have reported having to reformat using the Panasonic formatter or a cell-phone or camera, the microSD/HC card getting into a state of being unable to reformat using the standard Windows tools.

-Bri

15. eldaddio

Newcomer eldaddio Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah, the card reformatted no problem, although it's only 2GB so not SDHC.

Will post on ak2 forum if there are any further probs.