Hacking Acekard 2.1 with green pcb?

Shinjiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I just recieved 6 Acekard 2's from DX and all of them have a green pcb with chip sticking out. They have 2.1 on the sticker though, will these be ok or should I return them and ask for a black pcb version? I heard there are still green 2.1's about that have been fixed to prevent the FAT error, is this true?

Shinjiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I believe the older green pcb version 2's had the tendancy to recieve the FAT error more. Then they released 2.1 to fix this. 2.1 should be the black pcb with no chip sticking out but I heard of some 2.1's being green with a slight hardware fix. But that's why i'm unsure :/

solarsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I got my first one from dx I had a 2.1 sticker with the green board (and all the others I've ordered from them are black). I've never had a Fat error with my green one but the black one I just got yesterday I booted up and boom fat error first try. >< I took out and put the micro sd card back in and it worked fine.

maybeamac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so is black pcb on the back where the connectors are and has no chip sticking out of it? But green one is green connectors with chip sticking out.

Wait: Did your acekard come in the paper box?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The green 2.1's are more thoroughly tested than the previous batches which had the FAT errors. There's nothing really wrong with the design, I think the problem was caused by bad cold soldering. The green 2.1's are basically the same as the original Acekard 2's which didn't have FAT errors -- I have one and it still works fine. They simply undergo better testing to ensure that the soldering is OK.

The black PCB's have been redesigned to eliminate the possibility of the FAT errors. As someone said, they don't have a chip sticking out. In addition, the black PCB's are supposed to use slightly less power (around 20 to 30 minutes according to most sources).

-Bri

Shinjiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
maybeamac said:
so is black pcb on the back where the connectors are and has no chip sticking out of it? But green one is green connectors with chip sticking out.

Wait: Did your acekard come in the paper box?

Thanks for your help, I guess i'll hold onto them then and see what happens
happy.gif
and to the quote, yes mine came in the paper/ cardboard box.

Oh almost forgot, since you mentioned battery life, about how long will the battery life last using the Acekard 2? On a DSLite and Phat .

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Shinjiko said:
Oh almost forgot, since you mentioned battery life, about how long will the battery life last using the Acekard 2? On a DSLite and Phat .

I roughly get around 3 or 4 hrs. or so. It depends on how bright you have your DS set,.. and having something in the slot-2 (like a 3in1) will drain the battery a little quicker, too.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the green pcb 2.1 i have does not have a chip sticking out. it is the exact same design as the black pcb 2.1 that i have. the green pcb contains a small bit of hardware to better debug and test issues left on the board (according to team acekard). they were better tested and then put in the new shell and restickered. there might be green pcb 2.1s with the sticking out chip but i personally haven't come across one.

VatoLoco said:
I roughly get around 3 or 4 hrs. or so. It depends on how bright you have your DS set,.. and having something in the slot-2 (like a 3in1) will drain the battery a little quicker, too.

i recently did 2hrs of dpg watching, and then 2+ hours of gaming on the lowest light setting and had battery power left for gaming later that day. i am going to run battery tests for the 2.1 review i'm writing here at gbatemp. stay tuned....

-another world

Shinjiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondering, has anyone else recieved a Green pcb Acekard 2.1 in a paper box from DX? I was just under the impression that all in paper boxes were black pcb's or is it just me?

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shinjiko said:
Just wondering, has anyone else recieved a Green pcb Acekard 2.1 in a paper box from DX? I was just under the impression that all in paper boxes were black pcb's or is it just me?

I have received two green pcb 2.1s from DX in paper boxes. The first was flat under the sticker.
The more recent (2 days ago) had the chip sticking up:
frontic4.jpg

backww2.jpg

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. They both have been working well so far. If they fail in the next year they'll be under warranty. If they fail after a year, its a loss, but IMO $12 is no great loss.

Shinjiko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your reply, yea I guess your right about the warranty, anyway they're not for me, they're for friends and as long as they play games fine i'm ok
tongue.gif
. I still use my r4 that I have had for ages and it is still going fine. I want to upgrade in the near future to either Acekard 2, CycloDS or SuperCard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: