Ace Combat: Infinity Will Be Free-To-Play

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Ace Combat is a franchise that revolves around intense, high-octane jet fighting - a bit like Top Gun, minus Tom Cruise and all the homoerotic volleyball games, to much disappointment.

Ace Combat is over two decades old, and has made appearances on everything from the GBA to arcade machines. It's a new age, however, and even the most storied franchises run the risk of falling behind the curve. Not to worry, though - this series has an ace up its sleeve.

:arrow:VG 24/7

This announcement also coincides with the release of a brand new trailer.

It's an interesting experiment to say the least. If the developers can strike a fine balance, this could serve as a great treat for fans and an easy introduction to the franchise for any curious players out there. And hey, beyond that, who knows what they can take this? The possibilities are limitless, stretching on forever. Indeed, one might say they are... extensive.

So, what do you think? Is the genius of this move plane to see, or should the fans just cool their jets?

siai005 likes this.
  2. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    Well, since it's free to play, I don't see why I shouldn't try it.

3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    as long as its not pay 2 win

jagerstaffel likes this.
  4. jagerstaffel

jagerstaffel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2008
    United States
    I absolutely hate that free-to-play-to-win :lol: My first taste of that, the game's last level was unbeatable unless you shelled out the cash to upgrade upgrade upgrade :hateit:

5. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I love me some Ace Combat but like every other self respecting gamer I can't stand all these new freemium free play pay to win bs business models.
    Will it be the same model as Tekken Revolution? Only get one plane that is eventually useless after a few missions?

I bought the LE of Assault Horizon and thought the game was great I was kind of hoping for a Vita game since the PSP games were so good. Guess I'll give this one a try and see how free it really is.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I can see this working quite well actually and having played previous entries the whole "equal but different play styles you can pay for" or "random character for free, pay to have the character you want" which are the only ways I have really seen these sorts of things work at present would be a very good fit here.

7. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Free to Play means Free to skip as in I pass on this.

8. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    To me, free-to-play just means stitching the free demo and retail game together. Its 'pay to unlock full game' as usual. I don't see the any important difference.

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Assuming you are not discussing the actual implementation here you must have tried the wrong games. There are quite a few that can happily be played as full games with payment being to avoid a certain measure of grind, to choose an otherwise equally powerful but different character or to choose the character you want rather than the random (can be weighted random) one the game picks that round/day.

10. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Hopefully it comes with a full fledged map editor.

11. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    What's the catch? Even my life isn't so great that people just randomly give me free Ace Combat games.