Review Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth First impression

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
- Introduction
The new Ace Attorney game, starring Miles Edgeworth has finally hit the market. This is a quick first impression review of the game!

- Gameplay

Gameplay has changed alot since the days of Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice, the main difference is that you never get to do an epic battle in court.
Instead you go around solving crimes like a detective, and along the way you get to change "partners" to help you in your quest. One other big difference is that you now have full control over your character, the gameplay has evolved into being more "free" for you too explore, and this concept really fits into what you are doing.

As Miles Edgeworth you are also aiming to get criminals guilty instead of finding them innocent, which can feel of awkward in the beginning if you recently played through the older Ace Attorney games. The gameplay perfectly fits into the concept.

You can use a system called Logic in which you can combine information you gathered and make it into a new kind of information, just don't combine the wrong peices of information or meet the consequences.

- Graphics
This game has moved from being a graphic novel (Like the old Ace Attorney games) to more of an adventure-like kind of game in terms of graphics. You don't have static backgrounds anymore with one or two moving sprites, and this makes the game more alive, but there is still many parts of the game that keeps the old style of graphics, like when speaking to important characters the screen changes to the old-styled graphics like a visual novel.

- Sound
Here is where the game is lacking, the music has this chilled out style, which perfectly fits to Miles Edgeworth but not to the gameplay. Do you remember in the old games where you yelled Objection and that epic cornered theme started to play, you got that epic feeling and the music really enhanced your feeling that you cracked the witness.

But in Miles Edgeworth you still hear i little more speeded tune but it didn't really enhance the feeling, it still sounded to low-paced, and that's a major flaw.

- Lasting Replay
This is a quick one because i haven't played through the whole game yet, but the cases never changes just like the old games, the first runthrough is great but there isn't much replay value because you already know what happens. But i'll admit i went back to some of the old cases in the old games just because of the addictive gameplay so i guess that it applies to this too.

- Overall
Overall so far the game is really great, you have your references to old characters and events from the older games which is great. It's great that you now are switching places to be a prosecutor instead of a defence attorney. The only thing that is a major drawback is the music, it's good. But it just doesn't fit to certain parts of the game.

( Score 8/10 )

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Nice written. I will definitly pick up a copy soon
smile.gif

Btw, I wonder if Phoenix Wright appears in this game
unsure.gif

ImperialX

Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't it inaccurate to review a game before you finished the game? Having finished it, I can tell you that my thoughts of the game really improved from my opinion of it after finishing the first four. Last case is epic, let me tell you, and really completes the story the first four starts to weave.

WiiBricker said:
unsure.gif
Not exactly.
rolleyes.gif

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ImperialX said:
Isn't it inaccurate to review a game before you finished the game? Having finished it, I can tell you that my thoughts of the game really improved from my opinion of it after finishing the first four. Last case is epic, let me tell you, and really completes the story the first four starts to weave.

I know what you mean, but as i stated this was only a first impression review, i really like the game and the only thing i complained about was the music which just isn't the same quality as the earlier games. I Love Phoenix Wright 1-3 and Apollo Justice, and this one is also awesome!

WiiBricker said:
smile.gif

unsure.gif

Thanks, it's my first text review here!

QUOTE(em2241992 @ Feb 17 2010, 02:19 AM)
Nice review, gives me a good idea of what I should expect.

Thank you, the game is really great!

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
smile.gif

unsure.gif

you'll see some references to him. as in "i can tell you to get "that" lawyer" XD

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???
No court battles!!??!??
My GOD...
I have to agree that the music isn't very epic, I'm on the third episode and I haven't got that "EPIC" feeling that I get in the previous PW games...
frown.gif

ImperialX

Trophies
XP
Country
Alright guys, I've finished the entire game now, and thus I'm now able to back my point - you simply have not caught a glimpse of the epicness of this game until the fourth case. Also, the last case is fantastic and wraps up this game oh-so-well.

As for those of you complaining for no real court scenes, don't worry - this game completely makes up for it with its fantastic gameplay and plot, as expected from any Ace Attorney game. I'm not going to write a review. but as a person who has played through the entire Ace Attorney series many times, I dare state that this game beats every Ace Attorney game so far except T&T, and that's a pretty high praise.

What are you guys waiting for? Get playing! I promise you will not be disappointed.

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good review. I hate how if your doing a chapter and you lose (when your health bar goes to 0) you have to start that chapter again, and read through everything, is there a way to make the text go faster?

Gariscus

Former Team Cyclops Mod
Trophies
XP
Country
From your post it sounds as though you don't know how to save, here is how:

Press Start. The rest should be easy.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Zmizk said:
As Miles Edgeworth you are also aiming to get criminals guilty instead of finding them innocent, which can feel of awkward in the beginning if you recently played through the older Ace Attorney games.
Well, at least in the first two cases you're not only trying to prove the criminal's guilt but also trying to free certain suspects from suspicion, including yourself. Which somewhat didn't feel that different to me from the first Phoenix Wright game.

But omg, I love this one. It's all I ever wished for...
smile.gif
The logic is completely logical so far, I didn't get stuck / had to look anything up, the moving around thinger is pretty cool.... yeah, I really love this one!
biggrin.gif

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I find the Logic system great, and the fact its ALSO actually logical, not far fetched like the PW games.
The review is good, i agreed with most things said, i look forward to more from you.

A4NoOb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the story line for this game was great, it was constantly ruined by stupid moments it expected you to miraculously guess.

For example in the second case, when you were inspecting the gift shop you were expected to connect the hat with the statue. I mean seriously, who would guess that? It's only after I exhausted every other logical connection that I found it out.

Another example is in the third case near the end where you had to piece together Lance's false testimony. Just some of the things are such a stretch that it completely ruins the mood of the game.

Mr.Mysterio

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I actually thought that the evidences and contradictions along with logic mode were very well thought out and made complete sense. It made the game a lot easier though.
Anyway, the first three cases were slow and a bit boring but the 4th and 5th case were really good. Hope they make sequel to this one.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
A4NoOb said:
While the story line for this game was great, it was constantly ruined by stupid moments it expected you to miraculously guess.

For example in the second case, when you were inspecting the gift shop you were expected to connect the hat with the statue. I mean seriously, who would guess that? It's only after I exhausted every other logical connection that I found it out.

Another example is in the third case near the end where you had to piece together Lance's false testimony. Just some of the things are such a stretch that it completely ruins the mood of the game.

My response to the one about the 2nd case.
For the second case, that's easy. All you had to do was look at the "Transport Cargo at Zheng Fa" evidence. It has a picture of the statue wearing a hat. If you actually take the time to look at all the evidence carefully, the rest is easy.

My response to the 3rd case.
Since some are stretch, you have to find out how the logic will work in order for it to suit the events. All you have to do is think and take a good look at evidence.

Anyway, after I finish the game (I'm on case 5) I'll make a review myself. Anyway, nice work on your review.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I see your mop and raise you George's mop lol