Gaming ace attorney 5 digital only release

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like fans have quite the... objection.

What? Even I can't resist the low-hanging fruit.

Except there is a huge chance the game might sell even less because there is no retail and as an ace attorney fan I am afraid of that. How is the average joe who never bothers to go on the eshop gonna know about the game when he goes to gamestop? Are people with horrible internet connections even gonna bother to get the game? What about the people who were mildly interested in the series but now don't care because they don't buy digital releases?

Because the average joe is totally going to buy an adventure game based around legal proceedings, right?

The series has pretty niche appeal, but that niche is very dedicated. The fanbase is dedicated enough to figure it out, and while some may not buy the title because of digital-only, I doubt that it will be a significant portion. Most people are over that.

Besides, the E-Shop is doing pretty damn well for itself. I think you underestimate the service and people's ability to access it.

rupok93

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like fans have quite the... objection.

What? Even I can't resist the low-hanging fruit.

Because the average joe is totally going to buy an adventure game based around legal proceedings, right?

The series has pretty niche appeal, but that niche is very dedicated. The fanbase is dedicated enough to figure it out, and while some may not buy the title because of digital-only, I doubt that it will be a significant portion. Most people are over that.

Besides, the E-Shop is doing pretty damn well for itself. I think you underestimate the service and people's ability to access it.

Hopefully you are right.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
I'm OK with this as if it weren't digital it may have been same as edgey 2 with no west release at all. Much better this way as 3DS is region locked it would have been really difficult to play this one if it were japan only, eh?

Digital sales are awesome as long as everything works. Nintendo realized the reason flash cards were popular that they allowed taking several games on one card and made good digital shop which is step in right direction. Steam and PSN seems to be fairly good at them but nintendo is still just trying the water and as games are locked to one system instead of account and save files are glued to gamefile. Steam and PSN both have account based system with loads of security features and both platforms allow manually backing up saves and using loaded ones.

Just write up 3DS serial number in case of theft, back up SD card frequently in case of SD failure and buy that new Ace Attorney when it's out!

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Except there is a huge chance the game might sell even less because there is no retail and as an ace attorney fan I am afraid of that.

The eshop is performing well. It's not a fucking wasteland where games die, its proving to be a highly functional and high performing service. For example the best selling version of Gunman Clive was the eshop version.

How is the average joe who never bothers to go on the eshop gonna know about the game when he goes to gamestop? What about the people who were mildly interested in the series but now don't care because they don't buy digital releases?
These people won't buy Ace Attorney games because they don't give a shit about the games. AA will only appeal to a limited number of people.
Are people with horrible internet connections even gonna bother to get the game?
Starbucks.
With all due respect, your 'concerns' is utter uninformed bullshit. Digital distribution is fucking blessing for customers and companies in distributing niche Japanese games. It should be welcomed with open arms.

P

pasc

God Digital or not... Take my money already !

Same as Nano Assault: First release day purchase for me.

Gawd. Might be the most hyped game of 2013 for me.

Hmm... should perhaps finishe AAI 1 first and start with the second one...

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nothing wrong with this, it's well known in the "underground" we call the temp, but if it wasn't for the temp, I would probably never even have discovered the AA series.
I've never heard anybody I know talk about this game and telling me how awesome it is.

Reactions: Rydian

rupok93

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The eshop is performing well. It's not a fucking wasteland where games die, its proving to be a highly functional and high performing service. For example the best selling version of Gunman Clive was the eshop version.

These people won't buy Ace Attorney games because they don't give a shit about the games. AA will only appeal to a limited number of people.

Starbucks.
With all due respect, your 'concerns' is utter uninformed bullshit. Digital distribution is fucking blessing for customers and companies in distributing niche Japanese games. It should be welcomed with open arms.

How is it a blessing when games are not tied to an account and cost more than retail? You call my concerns bullshit but then say something really idiotic. Digital platforms like steam are a blessing and I welcome it with open arms because of the constant sales, price of games drop over time, tied to an account instead of your fucking hardware,etc. Also if you guys think ace attorney is gonna stay afloat by not getting any new "casuals" to join you are dead wrong. Niche games don't mean that it can be successful with the same people again and again, it just means it targets a smaller market, doesn't mean that market can stay the same forever. Lastly, a huge section of the US has bad internet connections, only the east coast has decent internet so it is a legitimate concern when you don't put games on retail.

Nintendo Eshop is nowhere close to being a blessing when its an excuse to never drop the price of games below original retail and with taxes its usually more than what I can get at amazon.

Its understandable why Capcom are thinking the way they are but don't try to sugercoat the Eshop and Nintendo's digital services because compared to everything else, its years behind.

Reactions: xist

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Just gonna put this out there, The gunman clive only sold well because on the preview it looked like it could be a poor-man's megaman. Im willing to bet money than 90% of people who bought that game were hoping it was like megaman, myself included. ...But it was short, easy and quite frankly not worth the price i paid for it, even tho it was dirt cheap.

The Eshop has had some great games that are perfect for on the go gaming but i like i said before, the PW series is a full game and it should not be Eshop only, it should be optional for people who prefer it sure but this is a mistake, what is it with capcom always doing this stuff.

Reactions: avran89

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just gonna put this out there, The gunman clive only sold well because on the preview it looked like it could be a poor-man's megaman. Im willing to bet money than 90% of people who bought that game were hoping it was like megaman, myself included. ...But it was short, easy and quite frankly not worth the price i paid for it, even tho it was dirt cheap.

The Eshop has had some great games that are perfect for on the go gaming but i like i said before, the PW series is a full game and it should not be Eshop only, it should be optional for people who prefer it sure but this is a mistake, what is it with capcom always doing this stuff.
the games dont sell that much anyway... hell the first one sold about 100k copies in north america and to begin with was hard to get a copy of it... chances are more people pirated the games than bought it...

also remember that they didnt translated the second investigations because of fears of not selling, this way they can safely check the waters to see if there is a fanbase big enough to sell the games to...

now that i think of: if retail games were available on the e-shop from the start with might have gotten a digital release of megaman legends 3

also am i the only one that feels that this game is missing one D? i mean: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies/AA:DD/AA:2D (instead the usual 3D)?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Now I've never been a real fan of the series... But Digital Only won't help getting me interested. Insanely expensive + if 3DS breaks, bye bye games. I'm okay with smaller titles, but not full games.

D

Deleted_171835

Now I've never been a real fan of the series... But Digital Only won't help getting me interested. Insanely expensive + if 3DS breaks, bye bye games. I'm okay with smaller titles, but not full games.
While it's not the most user-friendly solution, if your system breaks, you can contact Nintendo with your serial code and Club Nintendo account and they'll replace it or refund it for you on a new system.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
While it's not the most user-friendly solution, if your system breaks, you can contact Nintendo with your serial code and Club Nintendo account and they'll replace it or refund it for you on a new system.
*No Club Nintendo in Sweden.
But yes, they will replace if you show them a police report if it's stolen, if it's broken from a drop you can 90% of the time still do a system transfer, if not, ask Nintendo.

You can buy download codes for DL games online/at stores for much cheaper than the eShop. The only reason why the eShop is more expensive is because they don't want to damage their relationship with retailers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh