Hacking Accidental Update to Sys 11.4.0-37U

Rowannri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm a bit late for this, but time was limited and so I left my 3DS alone after a while.

Basically, I had my 3DS on Luma3DS and running as you'd expect. However, I had not installed the latest version of Luma when I accidentally clicked the Update Option that pops up whenever you open up your 3DS and the new patches come out. I replaced the 11.3 Homebrew files with the 11.2 Homebrew files and I still have access to the Homebrew Channel. However, whenever I try to update Luma now, it crashes or says it cannot download it.

It all still works, I have FBI installed, I have the latest FreeShop installed, and all my Homebrew Applications work. However, it always says to install the latest version of Luma before updating to the latest, and as of writing this, there is an update to 11.6.

Is there anything I should do to make sure I'm safe to update? (This is all on SysNAND apparently. I thought I had it on EmuNAND but when I went to back up my EmuNAND, it said there is no EmuNAND available.)

Other quick notes:
1- I seem to no longer have my original NAND backup as my computer and usb have both been corrupted and were fixed long ago. I have another 3DS (an o3DSxL). It has access to homebrew via homescreeen hacks (i believe. i forget the original name whoops). Will that NAND work if i have to flash that on my regular o3Ds (the one I've been referring to this whole time)?

2- It was not homebrewed via 3ds(dot)guide, but rather a page someone in GBATemp, and it was where you revert your system to an old version (in my case, 10.3 back to either verison 2 or version 7.x. I forget which. But it was something like that and taking advantage of exploits in an older version.

3- the main 3DS that I refer to above (not the o3DSxL) is currently on Sys 11.4.0-37U, I haven't updated it since the first accidental update.

I hope I've provided enough information, I unfortunately have gaps in my memory, I can do my best to answer any questions you need answered regarding how to go about fixing this issue (if it needs to be fixed at all).

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a bit late for this, but time was limited and so I left my 3DS alone after a while.

Basically, I had my 3DS on Luma3DS and running as you'd expect. However, I had not installed the latest version of Luma when I accidentally clicked the Update Option that pops up whenever you open up your 3DS and the new patches come out. I replaced the 11.3 Homebrew files with the 11.2 Homebrew files and I still have access to the Homebrew Channel. However, whenever I try to update Luma now, it crashes or says it cannot download it.

It all still works, I have FBI installed, I have the latest FreeShop installed, and all my Homebrew Applications work. However, it always says to install the latest version of Luma before updating to the latest, and as of writing this, there is an update to 11.6.

Is there anything I should do to make sure I'm safe to update? (This is all on SysNAND apparently. I thought I had it on EmuNAND but when I went to back up my EmuNAND, it said there is no EmuNAND available.)

Other quick notes:
1- I seem to no longer have my original NAND backup as my computer and usb have both been corrupted and were fixed long ago. I have another 3DS (an o3DSxL). It has access to homebrew via homescreeen hacks (i believe. i forget the original name whoops). Will that NAND work if i have to flash that on my regular o3Ds (the one I've been referring to this whole time)?

2- It was not homebrewed via 3ds(dot)guide, but rather a page someone in GBATemp, and it was where you revert your system to an old version (in my case, 10.3 back to either verison 2 or version 7.x. I forget which. But it was something like that and taking advantage of exploits in an older version.

3- the main 3DS that I refer to above (not the o3DSxL) is currently on Sys 11.4.0-37U, I haven't updated it since the first accidental update.

I hope I've provided enough information, I unfortunately have gaps in my memory, I can do my best to answer any questions you need answered regarding how to go about fixing this issue (if it needs to be fixed at all).
If the hbl works, you may be able to downgrade with sysupdater. I recommend downgrading to 9.2, because from there you can also easily setup an EmuNand.

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Do you remember which version of luma do you have? You need to update it manually but after luma 8.0 you need to have installed bostrap. If you don't have it just go to the page of luma and download the luma 7.1 and copy the archives to your SD and replace

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you remember which version of luma do you have? You need to update it manually but after luma 8.0 you need to have installed bostrap. If you don't have it just go to the page of luma and download the luma 7.1 and copy the archives to your SD and replace
Oh, wow, how did I forget about that xD yeah, just replace the boot.firm on your SD with the new one. Using the updater is just for convenience.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of which, does anyone know of a way to change the path that Luma Updator writes the boot.firm to? I use BootCTR9, which passes to luma, but I have the luma firm as luma.firm; is it possible to have the updater replace my luma.firm with the newest boot.firm, renamed to luma.firm?
@SirNapkin1334 @aerios169 so what you two are saying is that I need to replace the old boot.firm, but where do i find it in the SD Card?
Root; SD:/boot.firm
Just open the sd card, it should be right there, along with the Nintendo 3DS, DCIM, luma, and other folders.
It might be just called boot, since windows sometimes hides file extensions. In that case, there'll be two boots, boot.firm and boot.3dsx, you'll want to turn on file extensions whenever you're doing 3DS hacking, it'll help a ton.
If you've updated via luma updator before, there might be a boot.firm.bak; you can delete that, after putting on the new boot.firm it'll be useless anyway.

Last edited by SirNapkin1334,

Rowannri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've copied the files of 7.1 to my SD Card. However, upon reading the updates to Luma 7.1, it says Arm9LoaderHax isn't supported and guess what is on my sd card!

*ive added the files already, they were never on the sd card to begin with

Attachments

• screenshot.PNG
    screenshot.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited by Rowannri,

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of which, does anyone know of a way to change the path that Luma Updator writes the boot.firm to? I use BootCTR9, which passes to luma, but I have the luma firm as luma.firm; is it possible to have the updater replace my luma.firm with the newest boot.firm, renamed to luma.firm?
The path changing for Luma no longer works and as such, no longer works with Luma Updater.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've copied the files of 7.1 to my SD Card. However, upon reading the updates to Luma 7.1, it says Arm9LoaderHax isn't supported and guess what is on my sd card!
Well, then get the older luma files, and follow this guide to update to B9S.

The path changing for Luma no longer works and as such, no longer works with Luma Updater.
Dammit-err, aw shucks! Guess there's no reason to have the updater then. Hey, what even is the "secret sector"?

Last edited by SirNapkin1334,

Rowannri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(hopefully one of the last questions) Should I add an older version of Luma3DS to my SD Card before i follow that guide you linked or should i just go ahead with the guide and follow it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong