Absolute Zero Translations is ceasing ALL work permanently.

Absolute_Zero_Logo.png
Absolute Zero Translations is a relatively high-profile group of dedicated and talented individuals who create and release translation patches for titles in the "Tales of" franchise which have never seen a localization. Their team is comprised of throughhim413 (translator), Gemini (programmer for Tales of Phantasia), Kingcom (programmer for Tales of Innocence/Tempest), StorMyu (programmer), and Kajitani-Eizan (translator). They had multiple projects in progress up until now, but had been focusing mainly on Tales of Destiny DC (PS2). They post monthly updates for the progress made on their projects, sometimes including screenshots, with particularly good progress being made as of the last few updates. They had also recently created a Discord server for their fans and those interested in their projects, as well as started to stream their translation efforts/showcase their progress on their Twitch channel. From the team's "about" page:
Absolute Zero started in August 2006. Originally throughhim413’s personal blog, it quickly became the home of a text translation for Tales of Phantasia PSX. The text translation was an overly ambitious project by a student of the Japanese language who wanted to expand his horizons and was completed in April 2007. That same year, throughhim413 met Gemini on romhacking.net and worked on a retranslation of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX) that was eventually released in 2009. In August 2007, we began work on Tales of Phantasia (PSX), which would become Absolute Zero’s first full release on December 25th, 2007. Several months later, Phantasian Productions and Absolute Zero began working on the Tales of Destiny: Director’s Cut (PS2) behind the scenes. On July 9th, 2008, Kingcom contacted throughhim413 on the romhacking.net forums and proposed a translation of Tales of Innocence (NDS). Tales of Innocence (NDS) was released June 29th 2010. Tales of the Tempest (NDS) was translated in secret and released on April 1st 2013.
The lead translator and project manager, throughhim413, has released a rather lengthy post on the team's webpage detailing the end of their work on all their projects as well as an attempt to explain the decision. In short, they began translating those Tales games which only ever saw a release in Japan, not only to benefit the fans who wouldn't be able to play and understand them otherwise, but to drum up attention and interest for the franchise in western audiences as a means to try and support the series. He reasons that, as the series has now taken off in the west, with each new iteration seeing a localization and distribution on Steam, the team's efforts to draw interest to the Tales franchise are much less important, if not entirely rendered moot. Furthermore, he says he worries that any translation projects his team releases now might be disincentives for Bandai Namco when/if they ever consider localizing older titles, so in the best interests of the franchise, he has chosen to halt all work.

throughhim413 said:
I believe these games still have the potential to make a splash in the West if Bamco decides to port them to PC or release some kind of anthology collection on consoles. The same fantastic games that seemed likely to be neglected forever just a few years ago look increasingly ripe for the picking given recent trends in gaming. When the time comes for Bamco to crunch the numbers and consider releasing any of them in the West, the last thing I want is for them to think hesitate because a fan translation exists ... So that brings me once again to the question of how I can help make the Tales series a success in the West. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about it lately and discussing it with friends and the only answer that I can come up with is that it’s time for us to exit stage left.
This means that their work on Tales of Phantasia X (PSP), Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X (PSP), and Tales of Destiny: Director’s Cut (PS2), has halted permanently effective immediately. Additionally, he states clearly and definitively that "Absolute Zero will not be releasing any future translation patches, nor will old patches be available for download". He does, however, promise to donate all work done so far on their projects to Bandai Namco, should they ever request it of him.

:arrow:Source

Oniman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Google translate and it does a decent job of translating menus and important plot points. By no means it's perfect but it's helped me beat most Japan only games. I got restless waiting on the translations from absolute zero xD give it a try if you guys really want to play those games

Reactions: Subtle Demise

luigismentor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dammit, that means we'll have to wait for someone else to start fantranslating those games, because odds of Bamco rereleasing older games are worse than a snowball's chance in Florida! You know what? Now I'm mad! I'm so mad, I'm going to unhealthily vent it out by making an English patch for Phantasia (SNES version), translation courtesy of GOOGLE TRANSLATE!!!!!!!! And none of you are gonna stop me!

Rudy69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
That's really too bad. I've been following this project since the beginning (Tales of Destiny is my favorite Tales of game by far) and I was really looking forward to an eventual release. I also feel like this "project" killed potential effort by other teams (and hey maybe they would have had a patch a lot sooner, this project has been pretty slow)

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Furthermore, he says he worries that any translation projects his team releases now might be disincentives for Bandai Namco when/if they ever consider localizing older titles, so in the best interests of the franchise, he has chosen to halt all work."

I applaud their time and effort working on this but....

That's flawed logic. Thinking like that would be like S-E translating Seiken Densetsu 3 or some other big franchise getting that treatment.

Additionally unless there is proof or some murmuring from the publisher that they in FACT have ANY interest in localizing any of the titles in the back catalog (which after 10+ years is very unlikely) due to cost, localization, testing, etc. if the cost/reward balance isn't there, they are NOT going to release these games to a very small small (but dedicated) set of fans who'd like to see them all.

And why let that stop them that it MIGHT happen one day? That never stopped ToP's SFC translation (when eventually we did get the inferior GBA version) and I doubt that seriously hurt sales.

Final point, it's their time/effort to do as they please, but to waste already spent time effort is extremely sad.

It'd be like well we won't finish translating Mother 3 because ONE DAY Nintendo MIGHT give us an official translation. And still to this day, that has yet to happen (and probably won't either) ....sound familiar?

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use Google translate and it does a decent job of translating menus and important plot points. By no means it's perfect but it's helped me beat most Japan only games. I got restless waiting on the translations from absolute zero xD give it a try if you guys really want to play those games
Ehmm... how the hell would you use google translate to play games that arent translated when you dont know jap?
it is not like you can type jap charachter into google translate page for every single thing you meet on screen?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhhh I getcha. I never played the Pc port. Just the Gamecube (still have my copy) and the collectors edition of the Ps3 version.

My best friend and I actually played through this game together - multiplayer combat aspect was amazing at the time for a console RPG. So many "This has to be the final boss!" moments in that game with huge plot twists directly after. I actually found a GC version of the game about 5 years ago... It was still $40 used at all outlets.

Playing Symphonia also got me into the series, and led me to a lightly translated SNES rom-hack of Phantasia. The translations stopped roughly 2 hours into gameplay so I never got back into it. I'm guessing this team is to thank for that ROM I found so long ago.

If anyone has an idea if/where I can find a full translated SNES ROM since this team is halting it's services, please PM me!

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
OP
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Can you tel me what game patch nr 1 and patch 2 is?
The 3rd one is psx obviously
Looks like the first two links are for Tales of the Tempest and Tales of Innocence, both DS games. Not for nothing, but the games' names were at the top of the included readme files, and a quick googling of those would have found what you needed.

Oniman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehmm... how the hell would you use google translate to play games that arent translated when you dont know jap?
it is not like you can type jap charachter into google translate page for every single thing you meet on screen?
If you take a picture of the Japanese text on Google translate it detects the Japanese characters. Then you highlight them with your finger then it translates it to any language you have it to translate to

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you take a picture of the Japanese text on Google translate it detects the Japanese characters. Then you highlight them with your finger then it translates it to any language you have it to translate to
Interesting so if you were to play an untranslated game you'd take a screenshot with your phone/tablet each second a conversation bubble pops up lol?
You can then upload this picture to google? Do you have a link for what exact feature of google you are using?

Oniman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the Google translate app on android/iOS
It also has voice recognition. Sometimes the translations are a bit off but you'll get the gist of it
Screenshot_20180226-115440.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180226-115440.jpg
    Screenshot_20180226-115440.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Screenshot_20180226-115425.jpg
    Screenshot_20180226-115425.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 272

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I'm currently playing Gemini's and throughhim413's work on Castlevania: SOTN and it is remarcable.
I love you guys!!! This is some quality work, for god's sake.

Thx for being part of the scene. Really apreciate your efforts.

Moondrag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the worst part about this is how the other translators and programmers who helped with those projects weren't mentioned at all. All that hard work (As well as torture with Tempest) and time put into those translation projects, just wiped away by one guy deciding "Welp, our job is done! Burn everything down!". I was planning on playing though Phantasia with that translation patch they were working on, but now that is a pipe dream.

Pideg

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not sure I should bump the old thread but the reason is pretty much hidden in the long post:

When Bamco asked several of us in the fan translation community to be Tales series community managers, it was a recognition of what we had contributed to helping the series succeed outside Japan.

So they sold out to Bamco. Nothing wrong with that if they didnt hold back alot of other translators who wanted to start on this project. And I'm sure not everybody who was involved got a job at Bamco.

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure I should bump the old thread but the reason is pretty much hidden in the long post:

When Bamco asked several of us in the fan translation community to be Tales series community managers, it was a recognition of what we had contributed to helping the series succeed outside Japan.

So they sold out to Bamco. Nothing wrong with that if they didnt hold back alot of other translators who wanted to start on this project. And I'm sure not everybody who was involved got a job at Bamco.
Did you really just make an alt account to bump a post? But thanks, good info.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...