Absolute Zero Translations is ceasing ALL work permanently.

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Meteor7, Feb 24, 2018.

Front-page
    Absolute_Zero_Logo.
    Absolute Zero Translations is a relatively high-profile group of dedicated and talented individuals who create and release translation patches for titles in the "Tales of" franchise which have never seen a localization. Their team is comprised of throughhim413 (translator), Gemini (programmer for Tales of Phantasia), Kingcom (programmer for Tales of Innocence/Tempest), StorMyu (programmer), and Kajitani-Eizan (translator). They had multiple projects in progress up until now, but had been focusing mainly on Tales of Destiny DC (PS2). They post monthly updates for the progress made on their projects, sometimes including screenshots, with particularly good progress being made as of the last few updates. They had also recently created a Discord server for their fans and those interested in their projects, as well as started to stream their translation efforts/showcase their progress on their Twitch channel. From the team's "about" page:
    The lead translator and project manager, throughhim413, has released a rather lengthy post on the team's webpage detailing the end of their work on all their projects as well as an attempt to explain the decision. In short, they began translating those Tales games which only ever saw a release in Japan, not only to benefit the fans who wouldn't be able to play and understand them otherwise, but to drum up attention and interest for the franchise in western audiences as a means to try and support the series. He reasons that, as the series has now taken off in the west, with each new iteration seeing a localization and distribution on Steam, the team's efforts to draw interest to the Tales franchise are much less important, if not entirely rendered moot. Furthermore, he says he worries that any translation projects his team releases now might be disincentives for Bandai Namco when/if they ever consider localizing older titles, so in the best interests of the franchise, he has chosen to halt all work.

This means that their work on Tales of Phantasia X (PSP), Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X (PSP), and Tales of Destiny: Director’s Cut (PS2), has halted permanently effective immediately. Additionally, he states clearly and definitively that "Absolute Zero will not be releasing any future translation patches, nor will old patches be available for download". He does, however, promise to donate all work done so far on their projects to Bandai Namco, should they ever request it of him.

:arrow:Source

Discussion (57 replies)
  1. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    well, that blows.

tbb043 likes this.
  2. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    Bamco?

3. Meteor7
    OP

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    It's a portmanteau of "Bandai Namco."

gnmmarechal likes this.
  4. Blaze Uchiha

Blaze Uchiha GBAtemp Fan

Feb 6, 2016
    United States
    W
    Well I guess you could say that he succeeded in what his team originally set out to do, which was to bring attention the franchise, right? I mean if it is really starting to take off here in the west then I would say so!

VartioArtel likes this.
  5. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Oh well that’s disappointing. Was waiting for the definitive Tales of Phantasia version.

DarthDub likes this.
  6. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I can sort of understand their point, but at the same time, going off Namco's blasé Twitter PR, they don't seem keen to retranslate games that didn't hit the west (the fan's tears for official release of PS3 Vesperia could fill a lake) and going off the wonked out PC version of Zestiria and the trash fire that was Symphonia, I don't really trust Namco even if they did manage to take on translating older games one day.

x65943, cearp, leonmagnus99 and 7 others like this.
  7. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    It´s been a while since I last visited their Homepage. A bummer to see them stop translating.:mellow:

I was looking forward to the translation of Tales of Phantasia X and Narikiri Dungeon X.

8. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    looks like its time to pirate them when they release on steam

Jayro likes this.
  9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Well now we won't get anything... Thanks for everything and nothing all at once.

DarthDub, Subtle Demise and Ace001 like this.
  10. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    (forgive the one word post but . . .) fuck

tbb043 and Subtle Demise like this.
  11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Bamco bastards. This is why we can't have nice things. Abandoning the TOP PSX translation is a douche move, sorry not sorry.

TOP has never had a decent western release (no, GBA version was hot garbage), so yeah, this blows. :(

Last edited by the_randomizer, Feb 24, 2018
  12. Spectral Blizzard

Spectral Blizzard GBATemp's Only Racist Stereotypical Feminist

Banned
    Jun 17, 2017
    United States
    Everywhere
    Welp, fuck this shit.
    Oh, god, "donating" to Banco?
    This shit is about to get rea-

13. Meteor7
    OP

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Exactly this. I admire the team's intentions, but they're assuming the odds of Bamco porting any of the ancient Tales games like Narikiri Dungeon X and Destiny DC are not absolute zero.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  14. DeadlyAnGeL91792

DeadlyAnGeL91792 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2010
    United States
    The Usa
    9+ years waiting for a Tales of Destiny translation lmao. What a waste of effort on there part. So many people over the years that wanted to translate Tales of games and decided not to because Cless and Absolute Zero were on it, and now look smh. Hopefully they atleast leave all there tools somewhere so people don't have to start from nothing. His reasoning was BS...idc im not understanding...im salty lol. We might have already had translations for these games were it other people on the job.

DarthDub, Osha, Pluupy and 2 others like this.
  15. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    It's a "douche move" that they don't pour blood, sweat and tears for your enjoyment, for free?
    Uh, hello? Entitled much?

It doesn't even sound like Bamco had anything to do with this. Throughhim just had a midlife crisis by the looks of it. Very weird move but I mean, they were his projects at the end of the day to do with. The existing patches are out there, and always will be. He just plugged the easiest source.

They hadn't even released anything in 5 years, so it's not like this is a massive blow to the translation community outside of taking down previous projects.

16. xtreme1

xtreme1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2008
    United States
    I still find it to be a major blow. He had, what, 3 full translations patches of tales games under his belt? Not to mention was the central hub of knowledge for all tales related patches, seriously, everyone went to his forum for help with Vesperia, Graces, the other Phantasia patch.

Of all the translators, I knew he would get his done, despite others who never delivered. Looking at you kajitani-eizan.

But for sure, crazy amounts of labor went into this, and I can't blame him (or even kaji), for wanting to do something else with their time.

Last edited by xtreme1, Feb 24, 2018
  17. Nisem0n0

Nisem0n0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2017
    United States
    This kind of reminds me of when the Tales of Graces translation project got axed just weeks from release because of the official localization of F, but only like 100x worse. You know I wouldn't mind if Bamco actually localized the older (and undeniably better) games of the franchise, but we all know that won't happen. The recent tales games like Zestiria and Berseria have been really subpar imo and can't compare to older ones. Can't even remember how long I've been looking forward to playing Tales of Destiny DC, literally was checking progress updates every month :(

DarthDub, leonmagnus99 and xtreme1 like this.
  18. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    So did they have any plan for translate other series? It seem like a waste now that we lost a fan translator team.

19. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Apr 21, 2018, Reason: Thread cleanup.
    Feb 24, 2018
  20. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Yea, apparently Bamco can't be bothered to make a relatively really low resource game run at 60fps on even a decently fast system. Even using community made ToZ fixes and it's still quite horrible. It actually rather amazes me that they even began to think such was acceptable. :/

Overall, I'd say I'm okay with this. Let "Tales of" die. As much as I enjoyed Symphonia, I realize that as a series "Tales of" leaves a lot to be desired. Of course, it's unlikely Bamco will focus on something better, but then that's not really something that can be helped. Absolute Zero Translations went above and beyond to work on something even the original makers couldn't be bothered to do. That they have the love to "set them free" amazes me, honestly. I'd be more inclined to rage quit.

PS - This would be entirely different if it were a small series or Bamco were merely a Publisher so it was an honest issue about a genuine belief of a lack of general interest or not being able to spend the resources on an outside project. Clearly Bamco either knows it would be profitable in the west or they have very little confidence in "Tales of". I can understand why, but that really does mean they'd be better spending their resources on better projects.