About Emunand on SD and formatting it

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by AdowTatep, Mar 11, 2015.

1. AdowTatep
    OP

AdowTatep GBAtemp Regular

Oct 20, 2013
    Brazil
    Deep in some cavern
    Hi guys, i got emunand on this MicroSD but it's my mom's one and she wants it back, if i format it i'll lose the emunand? or i can just drag and drop everything to another one and it's okay? (Gateway)

2. Tjessx

Tjessx GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 3, 2014
    Belgium
    Depends which operating system you are using.

If it is a pretty big SD card (more then 4gb), i would just delete everything you can see in the folder.
    Emunand will still be on there, and whenever you need it, you just ask the sd card, put the launcher.dat on it, and you can use it.
    If you want to remove emunand you need a partition manager(as far as i know), most operating systems don't delete the emuNAND partition with the standart format option.

3. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    You need to use win32diskimager to retrieve all of your data, since the emuNAND partition is hidden in the SD card, you just can't copy like drag and drop. Also, if you formatt, yes, you will lose everything.

Just backup an image of that SD card using the tool I mentioned above, then use it again to restore it to another SD card.

ravihpa likes this.
  4. AdowTatep
    OP

Oct 20, 2013
    Brazil
    Deep in some cavern
    But it just burns an image on a SD isn't? i installed it and it just asks me an image, there isn't an option to create one first :(

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You pressed the wrong button.
    Choose where you want to save it (it will say Open but just ignore that) and press Read.

If the new SD is smaller than the old one, you will have problems restoring the image. If it's bigger, you can resize the FAT32/ExFAT partition afterwards to fill up the remaining space.
    Alternatively you can use EmuNAND Tool to backup the emunand on the SD, copy all the other files from it, then format emuNAND on the new SD before using EmuNAND Tool to restore the backup and copying all the files back on.

6. AdowTatep
    OP

Oct 20, 2013
    Brazil
    Deep in some cavern
    I open it and this is the only thing that appear to me :ohnoes:

[​IMG]

I can't press any button, just select an image file, this is the first and only window that open here

Edit:
    Oohh, i had to select where to save? I think i did it. Because when i clicked the blue folder icon, the button was "open" and not "select" so i thought i had to open an image, but when i gave it a name and pressed open i could press the read button

7. LameNobody

LameNobody Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
    you could use emunand tool to extract your emunand.bin and then restore it after formatting emunand on the new card

cvskid and AdowTatep like this.