Homebrew A5200DS - Improved

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im also a fan of the Commodore 64 computer, such a shame you can't properly run that ona DSi :(
Anything is possible :)

It's just time and effort really... is there a semi-functional C64 emulator for the DS that I could start with as a base? I'm less keen on starting from scratch, but I'd be somewhat interested if there was a half-functional emulator that I could use as a baseline and improve.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah! Right... I forgot about FrodoDS... I actually did get the source code loaded on my development system but it wouldn't compile - I think it's expecting some ancient version of LIBNDS... I left it to work on 'someday'... maybe I'll dust it off. If I could get it to build with latest LIBNDS and tools and run on the DS, I can definitely improve it.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's definitely a newer build! It still doesn't run right on my DSi but perhaps the code is closer to the more modern libnds toolset. Do you know if the sources were ever released for this "Spinal" build?

Reactions: banjo2

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
That's definitely a newer build! It still doesn't run right on my DSi but perhaps the code is closer to the more modern libnds toolset. Do you know if the sources were ever released for this "Spinal" build?
You could maybe ask spinal_cord, looks like he was online a couple of hours ago

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 3.0 is released: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/A5200DS

V3.0 : 04-Nov-2021
* New sound core to eliminate zingers.
* 5200.rom bios can be in /roms/bios or /data/bios

Mostly I'm on a cleanup pass of the older emulators I've worked on... I've ported over the Nintellivision sound handling code to eliminate the Zingers in the Atari 5200/800 core. I'll get out a new XEGS-DS build soon but for now, the A5200DS is zinger-free.

I also took this opportunity to allow the bios files to reside in alternate directories... with all these emulators, there are a growing number of BIOS files and the OCD in me wants them all in one clean directory :)

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 3.1 is released: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/A5200DS

V3.1 : 30-Nov-2021
  • Switched to maxmod audio library for improved sound.
  • Try to start in /roms or /roms/a5200 if possible
To mirror the release of XEGS-DS 2.8 - the new maxmod streaming audio library is in for the red-headed stepchild of the 8-bit consoles!

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 3.3 is released: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/A5200DS

It's been a year and a half :)

V3.3 : 30-Apr-2023
  • Improved screen blend so it leaves less visible artifacts.
  • Improved sound mute so it eliminates most of the little pops.
  • Built with latest libnds to keep things fresh.

Edit: had to put out quick 3.3a with a fix for the sound because... derp.

Last edited by wavemotion,

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 3.4 is released: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/A5200DS

V3.4 : 01-May-2023
  • Another frame or two of performance from memory optmizations.
  • Removed lots of obsoleted code to streamline the build.
  • Added a new DSi special build that will finally run Bosconian at full speed with speech as long as you are in DSi (2x CPU) mode.
  • Added tweaks and support for latest homebrew carts like Rob-N-Banks.

Okay... I hit this emulator hard yesterday. I gutted almost 20K of unused code and optimized what was left to gain a bit more speed. I've added a new DSi build that uses a different way of fetching memory that causes a 10% performance hit on non-bankswitching carts (but the DSi had that to spare) but gives a huge speed increase to bankswitching carts such that the Mighty Bosconian will play full speed with speech. You will want to search atariage for the 1.5f version of Bosconian for the 5200 and grab the 128K (AtariMax SD) version.

I'm planning on a rebrand of XEGS-DS to A8DS. I'm trying to get my ds994a keyboard designer to work on a nice Atari 800 keyboard layout for that.

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Version 3.5 is released! https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/A5200DS

V3.5 : 05-Jan-2024
  • Major cleanup across the board - a few more frames of performance and many games on the older DS-Lite will now run full speed without frameskip.
  • Touch of paint on the main emulation screen to make the console buttons a bit more prominent.
  • New X button handling on the games that utilize more than 192 vertical pixels to smooth scroll upper/lower areas of the screen (usually just status/score in those areas so pressing the X button to bring them momentarily into view works fine).
  • About 50 new homebrews and hacks added to the internal database (up to 240 games now).

wavemotion

Benign Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Dave, thx for the V3.6, just tested yesterday, it works fine ;)
Thanks Indy! Yeah, I had a few more tweaks I wanted to release right after 3.5 ... didn't feel like spamming the group especially as posts tend to get auto-merged (grr!). :)

I'm enjoying playing some of the classics on the 5200...

Reactions: Indy13

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)