ROM Hack A Witch's Tale undub

CrimsonRose

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It really should be made. I swear every time that voice is heard god rapes a dog in the eye. its just so disturbing its burned into my brain even though i think you only hear voice at the start but no matter how short it is. its still disturbing TT_TT

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CrimsonRose said:
It really should be made. I swear every time that voice is heard god rapes a dog in the eye. its just so disturbing its burned into my brain even though i think you only hear voice at the start but no matter how short it is. its still disturbing TT_TT
So make it?
Open up the ROM in CrystalTile2 and find the sound files...
Unpack the original lanuage ROM with DS Buff and grab the folder with the sounds.
Unpack the U ROM and overwrite the folder and repack.

saldite

Dumb As Hell
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Judging from what I'm seeing, couldn't you just move the sound_data.sdat and sound_data2.sdat files?
Keep in mind, this is an assumption based off of the fact that sound is in the file name (which may or may not mean shit, but it's worth trying).

Well...
So far, it's not working...
Meh...
Can't blame me for trying...

Eh?
How much voice acting is there?
It seems like (so far) the title screen is the only place you encounter it.
And, if so, that small bit of irritation isn't really that bad.

CrimsonRose

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
saldite said:
Judging from what I'm seeing, couldn't you just move the sound_data.sdat and sound_data2.sdat files?
Keep in mind, this is an assumption based off of the fact that sound is in the file name (which may or may not mean shit, but it's worth trying).

Well...
So far, it's not working...
Meh...
Can't blame me for trying...

Eh?
How much voice acting is there?
It seems like (so far) the title screen is the only place you encounter it.
And, if so, that small bit of irritation isn't really that bad.
Thanx for trying yeah im pretty sure its just the title screen but just that little amount of sound just kills my insides X.X

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
So make it?

I second that.... and after making it, share it!!!

moogle.gif

.Darky

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
It's just pointless to make an undub if the only voice acting being replaced played just for 5 seconds.

saldite

Dumb As Hell
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.Darky said:
It's just pointless to make an undub if the only voice acting being replaced played just for 5 seconds.
That was pretty much my thought after coming to the realization that it's only at the title (presumably).

tk615

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually there isn't anymore speaking once you actually get into the game.. so there isn't any point of doing an undub. I know because im playing it right now

Hecore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I decided to undub the rom for that annoying little voice clip.

Replaced both files with sound in the name, packed and loaded the game and... fuck, still had that annoying voice at the intro.

Unpacked again and compared the files. Everything important matched in size (though I suppose it could be filled with padding) except for one file that was named english-somethingorother. I grabbed the file from the Japanese version, named it english-something, packed & loaded the game. Dammit, still had the annoying voice (although the intro was now in characters instead on English).

Loaded the Japanese rom to find out what I should be hearing and... drum roll... it says "Welcome to A Witch's Tale".

In short, NISA isn't to blame - it's just god-awful voice acting that the Japanese thought it would be a good idea to stick in.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Hecore said:
So I decided to undub the rom for that annoying little voice clip.

Replaced both files with sound in the name, packed and loaded the game and... fuck, still had that annoying voice at the intro.

Unpacked again and compared the files. Everything important matched in size (though I suppose it could be filled with padding) except for one file that was named english-somethingorother. I grabbed the file from the Japanese version, named it english-something, packed & loaded the game. Dammit, still had the annoying voice (although the intro was now in characters instead on English).

Loaded the Japanese rom to find out what I should be hearing and... drum roll... it says "Welcome to A Witch's Tale".

In short, NISA isn't to blame - it's just god-awful voice acting that the Japanese thought it would be a good idea to stick in.

Try Fandubbing it.

Shardnax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If everyone hates English audio so much they should just stick with the j-version rom. The only way you could possibly know if the original audio was superior at every turn would be playing it to completion with the original rom. I still don't understand how someone making a Pokemon translation for fun, or whatever reason, gets flamed to the point of death and Undubs don't. They are around the some complexity level so far as I understand.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shardnax said:
If everyone hates English audio so much they should just stick with the j-version rom. The only way you could possibly know if the original audio was superior at every turn would be playing it to completion with the original rom.It's not that people don't like English Audio... It's that English dubbing doesn't seem to have the same standards as Japanese dubbing does.
Sometimes it's just an odd / unnatural sound, other times it's a voice that doesn't fit the character at all.

Shardnax said:
I still don't understand how someone making a Pokemon translation for fun, or whatever reason, gets flamed to the point of death and Undubs don't.Because 50 people don't make posts saying "OMG I R GUNNA MAEK A UDNUB!!"
Then go and steal someones work as a starting point.
Then not do ANY work -or- they end up using GoogleTranslate (which is NOT a valid way to do a translation).

QUOTE(Shardnax @ Oct 18 2009, 08:15 AM)
They are around the some complexity level so far as I understand.
You understand incorrectly.
Finding and swapping audio folders is nothing compared to what it takes to do a Translation.
Even a translation of a game like Pokemon where there are tools already made to do the technical work.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Shardnax said:
If everyone hates English audio so much they should just stick with the j-version rom. The only way you could possibly know if the original audio was superior at every turn would be playing it to completion with the original rom. I still don't understand how someone making a Pokemon translation for fun, or whatever reason, gets flamed to the point of death and Undubs don't. They are around the some complexity level so far as I understand.

As someone who is pretty fluent in Japanese (has played through a number of text heavy games in Japanese (KH2, DQ8, Slime Mori Mori, Gyakuten Saiban, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea) and worked on ROM translation), conversational Japanese is not hard. Someone working hard could get decent in a couple of years.
Written Japanese is another story and takes a lot of time if you don't have a background in Chinese or another language that uses Chinese characters. If you want to play as closely as possible in Japanese but don't want text to get in the way of actual play, undubs are the way to go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)