Hacking A Webkit Exploit PoC has just been released for PS4 OFW 3.50.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since this is Linux we are talking about, as long as the Linux game can communicate with Mac/Windows version (which most of the games I have already played are) of the games, you should be able to.

Garry's Mod (I remember connecting with one of my friends who plays on Windows) you should be able to, but Garry Newman does not seem that interested fixing any Linux specific bugs...

Yes, this has been possible on firmware 1.76. It just that the tools needs to be updated to 3.50 firmware.
Thanks for the reply!
- So even if the ps4's firmware is updated, I should be able to play online on the other OSs, correct? And will this be through the "help guide" thing, as the previous video? (I don't know a lot about the PS4 scene)...

And with SteamOS, which seems to be in the works for the PS4 (Wololo's blog - working out the kinks), howe well do you think the games would play? I know the PS4 is pretty weak in terms of current... shtufff.... but maybe at MOST medium settings for games like overwatch?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OH...

And does this mean that I CAN FINALLY PLAY MAPLESTORY ON MY CONSOLE?!! :D

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply!
- So even if the ps4's firmware is updated, I should be able to play online on the other OSs, correct? And will this be through the "help guide" thing, as the previous video? (I don't know a lot about the PS4 scene)...
No, you need to keep your PS4 on a hackable firmware. The exploit allows you to run Linux.

And with SteamOS, which seems to be in the works for the PS4 (Wololo's blog - working out the kinks), howe well do you think the games would play? I know the PS4 is pretty weak in terms of current... shtufff.... but maybe at MOST medium settings for games like overwatch?
I am personally not sure (Well I recall someone saying low to mid range), I hope someone could ask him to use the Phoronix Test Suite (An automated Linux benchmark tool that can download various programs) to see the performance.

Right now it uses open source AMD driver, Radeon. While more stable, it is slower than their proprietary driver. However, if that APU hardware is a GCN hardware, then maybe it could be supported on the AMDGPU (AMD future driver for Linux), and that could give it access to the new proprietary driver (Which could have speed enhacncements and Vulkan support). However the AMDGPU driver is still a work is progress and not yet usable on all GCN hardware.

Last edited by CuriousTommy,

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you need to keep your PS4 on a hackable firmware. The exploit allows you to run Linux.

I am personally not sure (Well he says low to mid range), I hope someone could ask him to use the Phoronix Test Suite (An automated Linux benchmark tool that can download various programs) to see the performance.

Right now it uses open source AMD driver, Radeon. While more stable, it is slower than their proprietary driver. However, if that APU hardware is a GCN hardware, then maybe it could be supported on the AMDGPU (AMD future driver for Linux), and that could give it access to the new proprietary driver (Which could have speed enhacncements and Vulkan support). However the AMDGPU driver is still a work is progress and not yet usable on all GCN hardware.

OH. For the first part, I meant, even if there's a new firmware (and I'm still on 3.50, so can't access PSN), the online should still work for the Linux thing, right? Sorry for the confusion.

Oh nice!
So speaking of GCN (lol...) do you think we'd be able to emulate GameCube games? My PC can very well.

-And does this mean I can play MapleStory on my PS4? :P

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH. For the first part, I meant, even if there's a new firmware (and I'm still on 3.50, so can't access PSN), the online should still work for the Linux thing, right? Sorry for the confusion.
Oh, then yes as long as you don't update your PS4 and have internet access, you should be able to get online internet on Linux. It is a completely separate OS so it should not be affected by the lack of PSN access.

Oh nice!
So speaking of GCN (lol...) do you think we'd be able to emulate GameCube games? My PC can very well.
Maybe lol. But I am not sure how well the CPU will be able to handle the emulator.

-And does this mean I can play MapleStory on my PS4? :P
As far as I know, MapleStory can't run on Wine, so that would not be a possibility sadly. (Although if a Virtual Machine worked, you could run a Windows VM)

Edit: Yup, does not work.

Last edited by CuriousTommy,

doublespaces

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know with the Wii U, there is the PPC kernel and the ARM kernel (IOSU), and some features are restricted to the IOSU. I am assuming that the PS4 kernel gives access to everything in the OS (USB, ethernet, unrestricted storage access, injecting applications)?

It just the bootloader and lower stuff that is not hacked currently, or am I wrong?

When you say 'deepest part of security' that is a very specific statement, and considering the kernel operates on a relatively high layer, I must admit that there is honestly very little actual 'security' measures up until that point. There are barriers of entry which is why we need exploits. So in a sense, there are several layers of access we need, once you've got access to the kernel you've got homebrew capability in most cases, but the actual security countermeasures are usually buried deeper and are a matter of architecture.

Reactions: CuriousTommy

n00b2015

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
i learned from nintendo wii u mistake and unplugged ps4 from internet and from playing when i had fw 3.10....not gonna make mistake like with nintendo.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

All these people saying they won't update past 3.50 because they want to use hacks later on (I'll admit, I'm one of them. I switched my PS4 from rest mode to completely off).
Here's the thing though, we won't be able to access the PSN Store, Friends List, or even be able to play online once a new update is released, so if you're one of those people who love playing COD or whatever... yeah, good luck.
Or if you buy your games digitally (such as myself), guess we're temporarily gonna have to go physical. Then there's the fact that if we wait too long some games will prompt you to update anyways.

Would be cool if/when we get hacks for 3.50, we can get something like NNU-patcher so we can still access stuff like the PSN Store even when not on the latest firmware.
buy ps4.5 for that...problem solved

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It should be noted that the PS4 does not update in the background as long as you disable automatic updates in the Settings. It's not like the Wii U.

Make sure family members don't update too, of course!

n00b2015

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
what if i now with fw. 3.10 download all my psn games to HDD so i have them just in case. Will this update my ps4? tnx

as far as i know you can decline firmware update.

Last edited by n00b2015,

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it would be awesome to run all that homebrew stuff, but what is destroying my mood is thinking about those kids that will use mod menus and ruin games. Thanks, kiddies.
So far I haven't seen anyone create a cheat engine or an on-the-fly game file patcher. But then again, I have not looked closely at the development of the scene so I could be wrong.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All these people saying they won't update past 3.50 because they want to use hacks later on (I'll admit, I'm one of them. I switched my PS4 from rest mode to completely off).
Here's the thing though, we won't be able to access the PSN Store, Friends List, or even be able to play online once a new update is released, so if you're one of those people who love playing COD or whatever... yeah, good luck.
Or if you buy your games digitally (such as myself), guess we're temporarily gonna have to go physical. Then there's the fact that if we wait too long some games will prompt you to update anyways.

Would be cool if/when we get hacks for 3.50, we can get something like NNU-patcher so we can still access stuff like the PSN Store even when not on the latest firmware.
Free shit + Steam outweighs all of that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hello everyone