Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
A Touch of War 0.11c
Few Updates
[2233]AToW.png
A few updates for A Touch of War, a Real Time Strategy game for the Nintendo DS.
For more information about the update, read the changelog below. Download below.
Changelog said:
Another bug fix, this time with the group tabs. Groups weren't getting reset between games, so if you played two games in a row and selected a group created in the first game, the game would crash. Thanks to Pilot_51 for the info.

I also finally got around to writing the high score page for the survival mode, the page is fairly ugly(similar to the Explosive Gas stats page) but seems to be working properly.
Enjoy.
download.gif
 Download
icon11.gif
 Project Website

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can tell it is a very early work, but it seems promising. I appreciate the fact that it's not tile based like those Square RTS games where units end up bumping into each other, here they just overlap in order to pass.

Couldn't figure out how to do anything, assuming there is anything to do. I harvested a bit of resources, then built a tower. I'm just not entirely certain how. Hopefully a lot of things will improve, so far the buttons don't appear to be used for anything except D-pad scrolling and both L and R seem to do the same thing for alternating the screens.

But again, as proof-of-concept it's promising. The game is fast and fluid (so far) and the map seems pretty big--no telling whether they can make it any larger or if that's it. The graphics are definitely amateur, but they don't have that MS Paint look so they're passable. And some of it is probably just place holder, like I'm guessing they will have pointer cursors at some point instead of a red dot. But all in all, if they can produce a competent RTS then that's something even the big companies haven't managed to date, and it could score them a huge audience and fill a gap that's been lingering since the DS hit shelves.

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
dib said:
You can tell it is a very early work, but it seems promising. I appreciate the fact that it's not tile based like those Square RTS games where units end up bumping into each other, here they just overlap in order to pass.

Couldn't figure out how to do anything, assuming there is anything to do. I harvested a bit of resources, then built a tower. I'm just not entirely certain how. Hopefully a lot of things will improve, so far the buttons don't appear to be used for anything except D-pad scrolling and both L and R seem to do the same thing for alternating the screens.

But again, as proof-of-concept it's promising. The game is fast and fluid (so far) and the map seems pretty big--no telling whether they can make it any larger or if that's it. The graphics are definitely amateur, but they don't have that MS Paint look so they're passable. And some of it is probably just place holder, like I'm guessing they will have pointer cursors at some point instead of a red dot. But all in all, if they can produce a competent RTS then that's something even the big companies haven't managed to date, and it could score them a huge audience and fill a gap that's been lingering since the DS hit shelves.

A lot of people said the same thing as you... A year ago. Development of this project is extremely slow.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's a shame. There's the possibility that this signifies a resumed interest in the game, but it sounds like there's only the one person working on it so the more likely explanation is lack of time+desire is retarding development. If he does get it going, I think the consensus holds true and he would have a nice little multiplayer game that even the major studios haven't produced.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it'e been in development for well over two years, but so what if development takes a long time? You've got to remember that homebrewers are doing this stuff in their spare time. And not *ALL* of their spare time, either, just when they feel like it. It's a hobby.

I've been working on my current DS homebrew game for like 6 months now and I sure hope that when I release it people don't say, "It took him six months to make THIS? Psh, forget about it."

It also sounds like some people here haven't really given the game enough time to see how complete it is. It's much more than just a proof-of-concept, but playing a full scenario can take a long time, so if all you've done is harvest a few trees and build one tower, you only played about 5% into the scenario. Also not that it has online play, which is a really cool feature, though I haven't been able to try it myself since I don't have Internets at home.

Anyway I give the author and everyone involved in this game all due praises for their work so far, it's a wonderful game and is progressing very very well. What you've done already is smooth and impressive, and that's precisely due to the fact that the project *HASN'T* been rushed. I hope you do finish it eventually, but I hope you take your time and create a truly excellent game with all the love and attention that sometimes it seems only homebrew games receive from their developers anymore.

...word is bondage...

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i'm not saying i don't appreciate homebrewers using up their spare time for us, but the fact that a minor update comes out a year later, is not a very encourage fact that this project is going to be completed any time soon. its just a little common sense.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you look at the project page, you'll see that this minor update came out two days after 0.11b and that 0.11b came out one week after 0.11a, which was something of a major update.

You'll also see that 0.11c came out in April, so I'm not sure why this news is being posted now. But I'm not complaining since I missed the news in April, too, apparently.

...word is bondage...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo