OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So, I've recently hacked my PS2 and managed to get OPL working.

I was just wondering, is there any homebrew that allows you to play games over SMB? I realize the speeds wouldn't be anywhere close to the disc drive or USB 2.x, but I thought I'd ask. Saves the nuisance of having the drive and moving games :x

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong section, but either way, probably not. SMB does have some overhead, combine that with the network latency and now you have a barely playable game.

Irixion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I realized that after I hit the post button :S, sorry about that.

I don't think network latency would be an issue really. I'm technically wirelessly streaming my PS2 some SMB data (PC -> Router 2 -> Router 1 -> Router 2 -> PS2). Loading times are a problem, however it doesn't really affect most games anyway. I'm really surprised that something like this doesn't exist for the Wii, but thanks for your answer guys :)

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generally consoles are pushed to their processing limit by a game, so there's not much left to put towards SMB overhead. I'm surprised the PS2 is able to pull it off without drops in fps on a lot of games. Then again, I've never really looked at the PS2 hardware. On the Wii, it could probably be done if someone really wanted to code it, but it's far easier to plug in an USB HDD which has far less drawbacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter