Hacking A rather interesting article posted on LifeHacker today

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if anyone saw this or would even care, but LifeHacker posted an article on flash carts and how to use them to play backups of your retail games They did a similar article on how to hack your Wii and play backups off of an external HD.

Sadly, its rather mis-informed. They only cover 2 flash carts (Acekard 2i and SuperCard DSTWO) and have a fair amount of their facts wrong.
  • The Acekard 2i has no cheat code support
  • The DSTWO is the only flash cart on the market capable of video and mp3 playback
  • The DSTWO has full GBA and SNES emulation
  • Fails to mention how to play backups on DS and DS Lite using Acekard 2i
And those are only a few of the errors I can find. I have to give them credit though; They give detailed instructions on how to upgrade the bootloader/firmware on the 2i and backup your retail carts using NDS Backup Tool (Wifi). If only they came here, they would have had a more accurate article.
smile.gif
Sadly, they are getting blasted by a fair number of their readers about how they are showing people how to pirate games and should be ashamed of themselves blah blah blah. I would recommend reading the comments for a good laugh over reading the article.

Anyway, take a look. Rather odd for a major (in my eyes) tech blog to do something like this. Whats next? Engadget posting a detailed walkthrough of how to install a mod chip into your 360?

Almost forgot: I left a post detailing the mistakes in the article and recommended they (the article/post author and his readers) come here to fully understand what they are talking about. Hopefully that was a good idea.......

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That article is linking to modchipcentral with pretty overpriced hardware, AK2i for $24 and DStwo for $39.
Either there's a deal going on, or we could let them know Shoptemp has it $9 and $4 cheaper respectively?

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
That article is linking to modchipcentral with pretty overpriced hardware, AK2i for $24 and DStwo for $39.
Either there's a deal going on, or we could let them know Shoptemp has it $9 and $4 cheaper respectively?

That is one of the things I mentioned in my post. I used RealHotStuff as an example because I just ordered 2 Acekard 2i's from there this past week. I doubt my post will get read in the mess of ranting going on, and even if it did, I doubt they would say anything. Heck, I've sent then tips in the past and never got any credit (they usually post a "thank for tip).

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should've tagged your post with '#corrections'.

BTW, a relative of mine (apparently) purchased from MCC in-person recently. He (apparently) is bringing me a DSTWO, can't wait.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: That's somewhat surprising, I have it already. And it's a Chinese DSTWO
biggrin.gif

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
Now that you mention it, I should have. : shrugs: Would repost it, but not worth the effort. It already got promoted by a user, so its being read. I doubt they would fix anything anyway and if they did, I wouldn't get credit for telling them.

QUOTE(Flame™ @ Jul 17 2010, 05:15 AM) its on kotaku too http://kotaku.com/5588916/hack-your-ninten...tridge+playback

fucking pointless, kotaku really fucked any "friendship" with nintendo.

The Kotaku and Lifehacker article are one in the same. If you look at the comments, they are the same between the two. They pulling the article from the same database and just throwing up their own site "dressings".

As for "ruining" a relationship with Nintendo, Gawker has posted a number of hacks (through Lifehacker and Kotaku) related to game consoles. If Nintendo was going to freak out and pull support, they would have done it with the Wii backup game article. Same goes with Microsoft and the XBMC hack article.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
gumbyx84 said:
YayMii said:
Now that you mention it, I should have. : shrugs: Would repost it, but not worth the effort. It already got promoted by a user, so its being read. I doubt they would fix anything anyway and if they did, I wouldn't get credit for telling them.

QUOTE(Flame™ @ Jul 17 2010, 05:15 AM) its on kotaku too http://kotaku.com/5588916/hack-your-ninten...tridge+playback

The Kotaku and Lifehacker article are one in the same. If you look at the comments, they are the same between the two. They pulling the article from the same database and just throwing up their own site "dressings".

As for "ruining" a relationship with Nintendo, Gawker has posted a number of hacks (through Lifehacker and Kotaku) related to game consoles. If Nintendo was going to freak out and pull support, they would have done it with the Wii backup game article. Same goes with Microsoft and the XBMC hack article.

people used to say that about apple and gizmodo, but after that lost iPhone, all that ended, apple came like a ton of breaks on gizmodo. DS is almost end of its life, do you think nintendo would be happy if it was a 0day exploit on the 3DS?
smile.gif

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flame™ said:
gumbyx84 said:
YayMii said:

people used to say that about apple and gizmodo, but after that lost iPhone, all that ended, apple came like a ton of breaks on gizmodo. DS is almost end of its life, do you think nintendo would be happy if it was a 0day exploit on the 3DS?
smile.gif
Those are completely different things. Gizmodo bought STOLEN piece of equipment full knowing it was in fact stolen. That is against the law. While circumventing AP is a bad thing, it is no where near as bad as that. Heck, I'm not even sure if circumventing AP is illegal as long as you aren't making a profit of it.

dhnods

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:

Modchipcentral is including USB reader and cable, does Shoptemp? I just ordered from shoptemp overlooking that until now.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dhnods said:
RupeeClock said:

Modchipcentral is including USB reader and cable, does Shoptemp? I just ordered from shoptemp overlooking that until now.
USB Reader is from Acekard so you get it where-ever you order one from. The USB Charge cable is nice I guess, but not worth $10+.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
YayMii said:

BTW, a relative of mine (apparently) purchased from MCC in-person recently. He (apparently) is bringing me a DSTWO, can't wait.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: That's somewhat surprising, I have it already. And it's a Chinese DSTWO
biggrin.gif
Will you please be ever so kind in giving it to me please as a presant for my sister? She has her birthday in 2weeks time and I considering she is going to get a dsi aswell.
Thankyou for your kind attention

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gumbyx84 said:
USB Reader is from Acekard so you get it where-ever you order one from. The USB Charge cable is nice I guess, but not worth $10+.

Actually, Shoptemp sell USB charge cables for a mere $2, and a microSD adapter for $1.25, the only thing they don't sell are individual cases.

Here's some comparisons:
Shoptemp:
Modchip Central:
  • Acekard 2i: $23.95
  • + 4gb Kingston microSD: $14.95
  • No optional flashing service
  • USB charging cable (non-optional)
  • microSd adapter (non-optional though essential)
  • Gamecard case (non-optional, not standard with AK2i.)
  • Total: $38.90
Shoptemp is clearly better value here, Modchipcentral's USB Reader and USB Charge Cable are anything but free.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
gumbyx84 said:

Actually, Shoptemp sell USB charge cables for a mere $2, and a microSD adapter for $1.25, the only thing they don't sell are individual cases.

Here's some comparisons:
Shoptemp:
Modchip Central:
  • Acekard 2i: $23.95
  • + 4gb Kingston microSD: $14.95
  • No optional flashing service
  • USB charging cable (non-optional)
  • microSd adapter (non-optional though essential)
  • Gamecard case (non-optional, not standard with AK2i.)
  • Total: $38.90
Shoptemp is clearly better value here, Modchipcentral's USB Reader and USB Charge Cable are anything but free.

You misunderstand. I thought the MicroSD card reader came from Acekard. My CycloDS Evo came with one direct for TC, so I assumed Acekard did the same.

Anyway, I agree ShopTemp is cheaper then modchip central. I still say RealHotDeals is cheaper as I got an Acekard 2i (flashed for 1.4 compatability) and microSD reader for $18 with free shipping.

PS microSD adapter/reader us not essential. You get a microSD-to-SD adapter included with most cards (at least the ones I have bought), so you can use a regular SD reader (which most of us own on your machines).

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gumbyx84 said:
You misunderstand. I thought the MicroSD card reader came from Acekard. My CycloDS Evo came with one direct for TC, so I assumed Acekard did the same.
Previously Acekard shipped an Acekard MicroSD reader with their flashcarts, this was when they were using plastic clamshell packaging which you can see in the Acekard 2i review on here.

This is no longer the case. A retailer can supply a MicroSD card reader with them if they choose to do so, but it has nothing to do with Acekard and won't be Acekard branded.

Most of these cheap MicroSD card readers aren't great, you are better off getting a branded one which has a better chipset.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gumbyx84 said:
PS microSD adapter/reader us not essential. You get a microSD-to-SD adapter included with most cards (at least the ones I have bought), so you can use a regular SD reader (which most of us own on your machines).
Not every machine comes with an SD card slot, my PC sure doesn't, and not every microSD comes with an SD adapter, I've bought many in the past that don't.
Frankly I also prefer using a USB adapter.

gumbyx84

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
gumbyx84 said:
Not every machine comes with an SD card slot, my PC sure doesn't, and not every microSD comes with an SD adapter, I've bought many in the past that don't.
Frankly I also prefer using a USB adapter.
I don't use them because the last one I used burnt out on me and almost corrupted my card. I haven't been able to find a dependable one, so I just use microSD-to-SD adapter and my 12-in-1 card reader.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a "All-in-1" SD reader and it crapped out on me after 2 months (Doesn't copy files to any SD card, it's recognized only 20% of the time, and formatting a card even with the Panasonic SD formatter causes it to corrupt the SD card). I really don't like using microSD to SD adapters, as I can't find a very reliable card reader anywhere I know (although those readers built into laptops are usually reliable. Also, at the closest Future Shop to my house, all of the readers there are $40 CAD). BTW, I'm pretty sure that every adapter that is included with any flashcard is usually not very reliable.

What I use is the SanDisk MobileMate reader (Link to Amazon). It's small, it's really cheap, it works, and it's fast (2MB/s transfer rate at average with my standard speed USB 2.0 connection). I've been using it for 2 years without any problems, and I'm pretty sure it also comes with a lifetime warranty.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To be honest, I've been using the microSD adapter that came with my original R4DS v1 for years now, it works amazing.

The R4's you buy today have these crappy look-a-like imitation readers that are slow as hell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer