Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lately , i've been noticing the great amount of .mkv files for anime . i also saw .avi ones, but simply felt better whenever i played them [did a comparison of the two side by side on my comp].

anyway, I own a ZuneHD right now, and i know for sure it can't play .mkv files. i also read converters that tried to convert them to a playable format also did not work in success. so now I am on a search for a pmp that plays .mkv files . any suggestions ?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
.mkv is pretty freaking heavy, even a Wii has issues reading them, let alone a Zune. I'd suggest converting your Anime to a less CPU-grinding format.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I just Googled hard, and I don't think there is an MP3 player-esque object with the ability to play .mkv files. You definitely want/need a less heavy format.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
grr ._.
I spent a good half an hour or so in search for one, before I made the post and nothing came up for me either.

What about a good player that can handle a conversion of .mkv? Any format is fine, and a player that can handle the converted format would be good to hear about too.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I use Xilisoft's Video Converter Ultimate because it covers all formats known to man and has easy templates for alot of players/consoles, including the PSP and the Zune, but I heard good opinions about HandBrake if you don't want to break your wallet or use warez.

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
A samsung galaxy player would do you nicely. My galaxy S plays MKV through hardware. It effectively supports all codecs from the word go (no software processing AT ALL.) even at 720p (never tried 1080p yet.)

Upto you whether you get the phone, or the galaxy player which is like an ipod touch. But... there's your answer.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was just about to add a phone as a choice but the reason why I didn't is because of the lack of variety of phones in Canada. And if you do get a phone, you are restricted to a carrier which isn't the greatest thing to know...
I took a look at the Samsung Galaxy S II though over at NewEgg. It was unlocked, so it was a plus for me, and it's $550 w/o tax. That was my only phone choice, since other than that, there weren't really any other phones that caught my attention at NewEgg.

iPod touch? I haven't owned an Apple product in my life, and I dislike the idea of being bound to a software to sync. my files [e.g. the Zune software]. That's one reason and hassle as to why I don't want an Apple product.

Pricing isn't an issue. But if it's over $300, it would have to be a phone.
EDIT: preferably , $200 at max w/o tax for a PMP .

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Somebody mentioned this, and I had forgotten about it:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-5-0-Android-Player/dp/B005P1VNDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322347943&sr=8-1

Cheaper than a no contract smart phone for sure.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In case you end up buying an iPod, you're not actually bound to iTunes, you can use alternative software, heck, you can haxxor your iPod if you feel like it.

Not that I'd want to anyways, Rotten Apples are not in my field of interests. I'd go with an Android. :P

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm... I am trying to give it some thought. The Galaxy line from Samsung is amazing, I will admit that but is quite expensive. Someone said that the iPod Touch can play .mkv files. I have also been keeping up and following the Apple Peel 520 as well. Has anyone ever used it before? I may be bound to using iTunes for sync. my files, but I do know there is other software that I could also use.

Any comments on it's phone capabilities?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mkv is just a container. the encoding could still be anything.

in quicktime, i can usually just do a Save As without converting anything.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google "gotsent". Make sure the xvid button is ticked when converting or you will just end up with an MP4 container with the same codec.

..................... I do not know why video uploaders always insist on using the MKV container instead of MP4.

Garuge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
grr ._.
I spent a good half an hour or so in search for one, before I made the post and nothing came up for me either.

What about a good player that can handle a conversion of .mkv? Any format is fine, and a player that can handle the converted format would be good to hear about too.

If you're still looking for a converter that is capable of hardsubbing, I use Xvid4PSP 5 for videos with subtitles. I can convert the video for the PSP, PS3, or any other media player and it plays fine. And if the subtitles you had were styled, it keeps that too!

For videos without subs, I use Xilisoft. As what Foxi4 said, you can convert your video to pretty much any format known.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.