The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
A Pirate's Life DS
Working title RPG
ExampleScreenShot.png

A RPG combat system engine for the DS. See the included "readme" file for a list of future features plannned for this game[/p]

Features said:
-Attribute points to divide amongst your stats which influence your character in battle
-My take on a turn based battling system, which includes live action elements of attack and defense (thus requiring skill as well as smarts when planning attack)
-Health and Stamina bars for you and your enemy
-Quite complex AI, which allows for an unpredictable, 'smart' enemy who reacts to many gameplay elements, who can defend from your attacks, and be enraged in desparation into stronger attacks
-The engine is future-prepared for allowing modification of armor items, primary weapon and more

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Source
discuss.png
Discuss
Contributed by luke_c

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hurr durr...

Looks quite good, actually. I hope the author continues this, so we can at least have one project for the DS that's still alive. Also, hopefully this is an entry for the NEO Summer Coding Compo, cos then it might actually have a chance of surviving.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
Hurr durr...

Looks quite good, actually. I hope the author continues this, so we can at least have one project for the DS that's still alive. Also, hopefully this is an entry for the NEO Summer Coding Compo, cos then it might actually have a chance of surviving.
What? The DS homebrew scene has to be the current most active scene on the web, new games and updates to previous titles come out almost every single day.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
luke_c said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
Hurr durr...

What? The DS homebrew scene has to be the current most active scene on the web, new games and updates to previous titles come out almost every single day.
Name me one.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
My personal favourite, msxDS. And tons of other Emulators, Games and Applications. Even then, more new projects are being released by the week. Why don't you go try making something yourself? So the DS Homebrew scene won't be 'dead'.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I call the DS homebrew scene dead because it is in fact dead. Just look at the amount of stuff made last year, and the amount of stuff made this year. Proportion: 10 last year to 1 this year. Dead.

And I have made stuff myself, but all of it had already been made [eg a Pong clone (easy), Tetris, and all that shit]. I don't care if you say I should submit it, no one would use it anyway. And there's no point in making stuff when it won't be used anyway.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
I call the DS homebrew scene dead because it is in fact dead. Just look at the amount of stuff made last year, and the amount of stuff made this year. Proportion: 10 last year to 1 this year. Dead.

And I have made stuff myself, but all of it had already been made [eg a Pong clone (easy), Tetris, and all that shit]. I don't care if you say I should submit it, no one would use it anyway. And there's no point in making stuff when it won't be used anyway.
Now that's not true. When you are a programmer, half the fun of making a program is figuring it out. The other half is the fact that no matter how small a program is, it's a building block to help you build a bigger and better program!

If you look at the GBATemp DS Homebrew forum, then you'll see that the DS Scene is not 'dead' yet. My personal favorite is PPSDS, and he is still deving it! There are still quite a few things left to be made with homebrew. Weather someone else has already done it, you can alway put your own spin on a project.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sterl500 said:
When you are a programmer, half the fun of making a program is figuring it out. The other half is the fact that no matter how small a program is, it's a building block to help you build a bigger and better program!
I know, but programming is easy and there's no real need for me to figure anything out still. And I want to create programs that people will use. I can already sort out the bad things and the good things about my stuff on my own. No need for others to tell me how I should/shouldn't do it. They'd just start complaining about why they don't like it, it needs a better theme to support their style, etc.

Also, I don't think I can put my own spin on crap that has been made *insert generic meme here* times.

I don't count 'pre-alpha' homebrew as homebrew either, it's just a proof of concept but if it doesn't at least get a v1.0 I am not interested in it because there's still too much work left to be done and it won't be able to do what it should properly anyways.

That said, there have been some interesting homebrew created that were in fact playable from their beta version and onwards, but those are small in number and thus I overlook them. Just like anyone else.

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't call it dead but more like puttering.. it's not very active but it's not very dead either. It depends on what you are looking for anyways. Maybe the SCDSTWO will revive some homebrew interests. I dunno.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
phoenixclaws said:
I wouldn't call it dead but more like puttering.. it's not very active but it's not very dead either. It depends on what you are looking for anyways. Maybe the SCDSTWO will revive some homebrew interests. I dunno.
Maybe. I remember some flashcarts with built-in motion sensors but AFAIK only a couple of games were designed for it (that one racing game and some game where you had to move a ball around, probably other less note-worthy ones too but I don't know about those).

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
One thing keeps me in the opinion that the DS homebrew scene is not dead:

http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/

Loving it!!!!!

It might have slowed down quite a bit, but guys like this one are keeping it on life support.

But this game does look interesting. I will definitely give it a try; perhaps post a little review afterwards.

Cilein

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I hope the author continues this, so we can at least have one project for the DS that's still alive

I plan to, but in future, when quoting my or anyone else's work, or posting it up to be downloaded, asking permission and letting the author know is common courtesy, and appreciated. Nice to know where it's being spread etc. Cheers for the feedback, it's appreciated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo