A New Wii U System Software Update is LIVE

masterchan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo has just released a new Wii U system software update, the updated is released for all regions

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq.jpg

ttttttttttt.jpg

sssssssssss.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv.jpg

I will report the version number and report any changes to the Homebrew Channel asap

Developing ...

Update : Version number is 3.1.0 , Homebrew Channel is fine.

Version 3.1.0 available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Improvements to Standby Functions:

The standby functions will now regularly connect to the Internet when the Wii U is powered down to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates. Software updates will be installed while the Wii U is powered down, and system updates will be installed the next time the Wii U is powered on. For further detailed information, click here.

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

*A system update providing further additions to system functionality is planned for release between the end of September and beginning of October.

Version 3.0.1 available via an Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Further improvements to overall system stability and software compatibility

Reactions: BIFFTAZ

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What the hell...? Is nintendo going the former microsoft route now?

Also...through a bit of linking, I got this from the nintendo site (link)

IMPORTANT: After the Wii U system is updated, any existing or future unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software of your Wii U system, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your system, may render the system permanently unplayable. Content deriving from the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Wii U system may be removed. Failure to accept the update may render games unplayable.

I'm really hoping that this 'regularly connect to the internet when offline' is limited to it being in standby only. I don't like my devices doing stuff when they're supposed to be off. :angry:

Reactions: JayRo

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
It's optional, like WiiConnect24. It's a less functional WiiConnect24. If you prefer you can still get your updates manually and watch them. That's probably better since there's always the minute risk an update will brick certain systems if it's not tested properly.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm really hoping that this 'regularly connect to the internet when offline' is limited to it being in standby only. I don't like my devices doing stuff when they're supposed to be off. :angry:
Get a remote controlled socket for your TV set. That's what I did. Now the PS3 and the 360 can't automatically connect (and I save on my electricity bill! :P )

So basically this just brings additional SpotPass functions?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Get a remote controlled socket for your TV set. That's what I did. Now the PS3 and the 360 can't automatically connect (and I save on my electricity bill! :P )

And further blocks homebrew (and possibly modchip exploits, since hardware was mentioned)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

I already have that. Except that it combines the consoles, television and computer, so it could still be downloading an update as I'm writing this post. I thought about adding "how do I know I won't brick the thing if I unplug it while it is secretly installing a firmware?"...but it said in the OP that it'll only download it. The install is done when starting it.

But still...It's easier to just remove the internet connection on the thing. It's not like I'm online often anyway. But still...too bad. :(

JayRo: but it says in the OP that the HBC still works. Of course, with this in place, it will mean that nintendo can do nifty mini-updates just to piss off the homebrew scene ("3.1.0.0.0.0.0.27 is now online to further improve your gaming experience :D :D :D :D and also block homebrew ").

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I already have that. Except that it combines the consoles, television and computer, so it could still be downloading an update as I'm writing this post. I thought about adding "how do I know I won't brick the thing if I unplug it while it is secretly installing a firmware?"...but it said in the OP that it'll only download it. The install is done when starting it.

But still...It's easier to just remove the internet connection on the thing. It's not like I'm online often anyway. But still...too bad. :(

JayRo: but it says in the OP that the HBC still works. Of course, with this in place, it will mean that nintendo can do nifty mini-updates just to piss off the homebrew scene ("3.1.0.0.0.0.0.27 is now online to further improve your gaming experience :D :D :D :D and also block homebrew ").

Yeah, totally lamesauce. I bet it's because of the new first-party games that are coming... They just want to be ahead of the curve to protect their intellectual property. I don't think they need another Wii/DS scene on their hands, but it would be pretty sweet... :)

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
What the hell...? Is nintendo going the former microsoft route now?

Also...through a bit of linking, I got this from the nintendo site (link)

IMPORTANT: After the Wii U system is updated, any existing or future unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software of your Wii U system, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your system, may render the system permanently unplayable. Content deriving from the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Wii U system may be removed. Failure to accept the update may render games unplayable.

That isn't specific to this update. It's always been there. It was there for the Wii, and for the 3DS. It's just a warning to:
  1. Scare off people who are considering installing homebrew.
  2. Use as a "Well we did warn you" statement in case they ever actually do brick a console, like with the 003 Error.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That isn't specific to this update. It's always been there. It was there for the Wii, and for the 3DS. It's just a warning to:
  1. Scare off people who are considering installing homebrew.
  2. Use as a "Well we did warn you" statement in case they ever actually do brick a console, like with the 003 Error.
Okay. That's good to hear. I thought they were stepping up the security. :)

(dystopian call on the nintendo hotline)
caller: I bricked my wiiu somehow. :(
nintendo: ah...it must be because of homebrew. Sorry...we'll fix it, but we have to charge you a new wiiu, shipping and maintenance costs. :)
caller: what? I never did those things!
nintendo: no softmod? No chip or hardware modification? Not even a sticker?
caller: how is a sticker a hardware modification?
nintendo: please look up 'modification' in the dictionary, sir. :)
caller: ...but either way: NO. I never did any of those things.
nintendo: ah...but you say I never "did" any of those. Our system is designed to also render future unauthorized technical modifications useless. It must be because you are ABOUT TO install one of those. :)
caller: what? I mean...how the hell would you even know it if it were true?
nintendo: because of our very restrictive policy that starts to brick even legit players and being intimidating to them on the phone. :)
caller: I...see.

Reactions: Zetta_x

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr