Hacking A MINI introdutory guide for PS3Xploit v3.0 (SuperSlims and Slims with CECH3XXXX)

horokeusama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys, since the exploit was released only a few days ago and the developers didn't provide a clear guide for those who are not familiar with PS3 jailbreaking (me included), I spent a few hours trying to understand the whole process.

This is *NOT* an ultimate guide, but something I made for myself to understand how the whole process work and what can you do with it for now. If you find anything wrong (besides my awful english), please reply so I can edit it.

*All files and pages needed for this guide can be found on http://www.ps3xploit.com (on the upper left corner of the page)*

Exploit steps:

--You'll need to do a few things first, like preparing your console, installing and enabling HAN:

1- Download the release files.zip and extract them onto your flashdrive. put it into the USB port closest to the BD drive (the second one from left to right);
2- Dump your idps and act.dat files (via ps3 browser) and save them in cloud or somewhere safe just in case;
3- Run HAN Installer (via ps3 browser), only needed once: that will make the pkg installer menu appear on your GAME section of the XMB;
4- Run HAN enabler (via ps3 browser). This will alow you to install pkg files. Must be done EVERYTIME you turn off your console (if you want to install new pkg, of course);
That ends the PS3 part of the process. At least for now.
____
Signing PKG files:
--Now you'll need to sign your games before installing. This includes dump some register files from your console (act.dat and idps), using them on your pc to sign your pkg files and reuploading 'patched' versions of those files onto your console:

--PKG files that can be installed: PS1 Classics, PS2 Classics, PSP remasters and PS3 Games (there are a few exceptions)
--PKG files that CAN'T be installed: homebrew of any kind (emulators included), Ps3 Games that aren't on the PSN Store or are there but don't have any updated available

That being said, the steps of signing a pkg is fairly simple to understand, but takes a few minutes;

Note: DO NOT do the following steps logged on your main account. You need an activated psn account, and by activated I mean an account that you've already logged on playstation store and activated you ps3. You can do that on your computer, if you haven't done it before.

1- Remember that part when you dumped your ps3's idps and act.dat files? Put them on the same folder as the ps3xploit resigner tool, provided on https://github.com/PS3Xploit/PS3xploit-resigner/archive/v1.2.3.zip

2- Put the .pkg and its .rap file (necessary for most content) on the same folder as well.

3- You'll end up with those files on the same folder:

-Resignertool.exe (could be named differently, doesn't matter)
-a dll file
-your_game.pkg
-its rap file (DON'T RENAME IT, LEAVE THAT FREAKING UGLY AND LONG NAME)

4- Now hover the pkg over the resigner.exe so it can generate a signed ("patched") pkg, which you'll install later on your console;

5- Hover the game's .rap file over the resigner.exe so it generates a .rif file, which you'll need to put on the root folder of your USB, together with the signed .pkg;

6- The resigner will also generate a signed act.dat file. Put that on the root of your usb as well;

Note: At this step, the signed act.dat file will be generated as "Signed_act.dat". I'm not sure if the exploit part on the next step recognizes it with this name or if you have to rename it to "act.dat". I just add the same signed dat twice to the usb drive, named act.dat and signed_act.dat, just to be sure. Be careful to not rewrite your original act.dat file!

7-Now its time to finally install your game!

-Put the signed act.dat, .rif and your .pkg game into your usb (remember to use the second usb port)
-go to the act rif copier exploit page in your ps3 browser: http://www.ps3xploit.com/han/actrif_copier.html (bookmark it, for god's sake, you'll be using this page a lot)
-put the rif file name in its specific field (with all the '-' and '_', exactly as it's named) and click on the button.
-If it works, the browser will close and you'll be finally able to install your pkg file without errors. Remember that if the file is too big (like psp games), you'll be on the 'Please Wait' screen for a while. DON'T PRESS ANY BUTTON, since what the console is doing at this point is just copying the pkg to the internal HDD (that can be noted by the flashing light on your flash drive). If the game doesn't appear after this step, go the PSN content folder and try installing from there. If you get an error message, just try again and don't forget to wait on the "please wait" screen patiently. It can take from 3 to 10 minutes, depending on the pkg file size.

SO BASICALLY, what can you do with it RIGHT NOW (as of March 15th):
PSP remasters: PSP games converted to pkg are running fine if you sign them with the tool provided by ps3xploit/rebug;

PSX classics: Also need to be signed, but some need its specific .rif file (generated with the same tool to sign, hovering the game's .rap file over the resigner.exe)

PS2 Games: Couldn't test yet. Probably works the same as PSP remasters. Since files are over 4.0GB, you'll need to transfer via FTP server.
This process is still kinda cumbersome. You'll need an XML file (template provided by a psx-place's user: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/easy-way-to-install-packages-over-4gb-via-webserver-on-pc.16605/) and You WILL NEED the pkg's CONTENT ID, which you can find with this tool:
http://www.psx-place.com/threads/pkg-contentid-by-aldostools.939/.

PS3 Games**: Couldn't test it either, but people are reporting that you'll have to use the debug exploit provided on the tutorial. Also, the ftp process for ps2 games are needed here too, since files are obviously over 4.0GB

Notes:
*The PS3Xploit 3.0 works totally different from 2.0 and below, since there's no actual CFW installed (unfortunally, since it'd make things way easier). So be careful of what tutorials are you using. Guides for CFW (Xploit v2.0) won't work for Super Slims and Slims with CECH3XXXX serial).

**The PS3Xploit guys said that you can only install ps3 games that are on playstation store AND have an update available. Don't know the reason for that, but that's how it is for now.

Last edited by horokeusama,

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Kudos to the team for getting this exploit out there but for me it involves a monumental amount of time/effort to pirate a few games you could pick up for a quid anyway. Still good from a technical POV but this ones strictly for the young bucks with more time than money :toot:

horokeusama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Kudos to the team for getting this exploit out there but for me it involves a monumental amount of time/effort to pirate a few games you could pick up for a quid anyway. Still good from a technical POV but this ones strictly for the young bucks with more time than money :toot:
Well, you're partially right. There are games (like PSP and injected PS2) that you won't be able to play on the ps3 otherwise, so there's a reason and public for this kind of exploit. Besides, used games aren't that cheap in many countries, and some of them are hard to find.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Well, you're partially right. There are games (like PSP and injected PS2) that you won't be able to play on the ps3 otherwise, so there's a reason and public for this kind of exploit. Besides, used games aren't that cheap in many countries, and some of them are hard to find.

No doubt, the flags here tell the tale. Maybe 10 years I'd have had the patience to play around with this, these days I just like things to work with the minimum of fuss.

5xHQ5KG.gif

Reactions: horokeusama

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kind of disappointed i thought i would finally be able to get rid of my CFW fat and get a super slim
but this is not CFW ,also i assume that once sony update the FW then it wont work unless you have done it already

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
The devs said straight out the gate that it wouldn't be a cfw but more of a hen style implementation, which it is.

Shame as the superslim is the quietest and smallest form factor as well as the latest so it'll be nice to see if this evolves into something beyond this but with lv2 in the way I think this may be all. Either way it's still a good implementation, just not for me.

Time to trade the SS for a Slim if I can find a decent one.

#oldschool

Outlawbiker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for taking the time to make the most comprehensive guide so far. I know theres more to this but i was able to get some things to work by following this. Helps alot more when you get some explanation on what your doing than trying to decipher bullet point.

So,after playing with this, this is to much of a pain in the ass. Ive got a PS3 fat thats YLOD, guess this was the final nail in coffin to force me to reball it with leaded solder.

Reactions: horokeusama

ZX_Cress

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DOUBLE EDIT: ok now tha Han Installer is not working either. It then goes up to 95% before saying EXPLOIT INITIALIZATION FAILED. WHY ISNT THIS WORKING

EDIT:WELL SHIT THIS IS EMBARASSING I'VE BEEN DOING THIS IN THE WRONG ORDER...disregard this post >_>

it'd be real nice if the HAN ACT/IDPS dumpeer actually worked. I put the files on my usb(AND YES IT IS FORMATTED TO FAT32), I put it in the RIGHTMOST USB PORT. I go on the page, and clicked "Initialize ACT/IDPS dumper"
It then goes up to 95% before saying EXPLOIT INITIALIZATION FAILED.

Last edited by ZX_Cress,

Outlawbiker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you try to re-enable HAN? I fought and cussed and threw things every time i got init failed, but went back thru my steps, i had to use the HAN Enabler then i could continue.,some times the webpage stuff would do that, so in a last ditch effort i installed HAN tools V0.2 beta, and i just used those instead of the webpage stuff. hope that helps.

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Read the guide again.
I specifically said SIGNED homebrew, signed as in the PS3 thinks its an official app

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

kind of disappointed i thought i would finally be able to get rid of my CFW fat and get a super slim
but this is not CFW ,also i assume that once sony update the FW then it wont work unless you have done it already
Get a regular slim second hand, CECH-20XX and it will most likely be on 4.81 or below and install Rebug CFW using the original ps3xploit (what I did)
DOUBLE EDIT: ok now tha Han Installer is not working either. It then goes up to 95% before saying EXPLOIT INITIALIZATION FAILED. WHY ISNT THIS WORKING

EDIT:WELL SHIT THIS IS EMBARASSING I'VE BEEN DOING THIS IN THE WRONG ORDER...disregard this post >_>

it'd be real nice if the HAN ACT/IDPS dumpeer actually worked. I put the files on my usb(AND YES IT IS FORMATTED TO FAT32), I put it in the RIGHTMOST USB PORT. I go on the page, and clicked "Initialize ACT/IDPS dumper"
It then goes up to 95% before saying EXPLOIT INITIALIZATION FAILED.
Try reformatting with 32K clusters, or use a different flash drive (worked for me)

Reactions: weatMod

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need a pkg file and it's unique .rap file, but will generate a signed pkg and a .rif file respectively.
Google "PSNDL".
i think he means a ps3 game ripped from the disc, I'm also interested in a tutorial for that as I want to install Valkyria Chronicles which has a psn update.

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
You'll need a pkg file and it's unique .rap file, but will generate a signed pkg and a .rif file respectively.
Google "PSNDL".

And the .pkg can't be generated with an existent game folder? I've heard that Aldo's lastGame Customizer can help here, but I want some clarification.

Last edited by Autz,

horokeusama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And the .pkg can't be generated with an existent game folder? I've heard that Aldo's Game Customizer can help here, but I want some clarification.
tbh I'm not sure if "injected" games work, but in the original tutorial, they say that you can only install ps3 games that are on the psn store and have an available update.
That's a bummer for ps3 games, but I'm pretty sure that you can install PS2 and PS1 inject (ie: converted) pkg, since psp games work fine as psp remasters.

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
i think he means a ps3 game ripped from the disc, I'm also interested in a tutorial for that as I want to install Valkyria Chronicles which has a psn update.

I was lurking the web for tutorials and tools, and the summary is this:

using psn_package_npdrm will create a .pkg file based on a game's folder. Problem?

1. Games that has a PS3_GAME folder (and/or possibly PS3_UPDATE folder) won't work. The way to "fix" this is to copy all the content of PS3_GAME folder on the root (ie: /BLUSXXX/PS3_GAME/<content> TO ---> /BLUSXXX/<Place PS3_GAME's content here>).

2. The EBOOT.BIN inside the /USRDIR/ must be signed with the NPDRM that belongs to the minimun OFW that the game supports (ie: Game that can only be played on OFW version +4.5 must be signed with a NPDRM that correspond to that version, or bigger), othewise it will throw an error.

3. The Package.conf must match data found on PARAM.SFO, like the type of app and package ID. And to edit both is bothersome.

There are a lot of tools gathered on the web but OMG this is bothersome. Also, there's another package_npdrm that can compress any file regardless of the EBOOT.BIN signature, but I fear that will trigger more issues than it solves (keep in mind that anyone is saying that the game NEEDS to have an update). I'm going to keep looking...

Last edited by Autz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated