A good software DVD player for XP that...

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone know if there's a decent software DVD player for XP that uses the directshow filters for video/sound? I've installed the software DVD Region + CSS Free so I can play my R1/R3/R6 DVD's without hacking my DVD writers firmware but for some reason it cuts the sound from my center channel in half making it impossible to watch stuff in 5.1. MediaPlayers alright because I can use the AC3 filter to adjust the gains to make the sound play fine but it doesn't display the DVD subtitles on my R3/R6 DVD's so it's a bit useless. I know I could rip them to XviD and play them that way but it would be much simpler to just put the DVD in and play it!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
MediaPlayer (and MP Classic) is fine for the DVD's that are English spoken but for the life of me I can not get it to dislay the subtitles.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Media player classic and FFDshow (use CCCP if you do not feel like tweaking options: http://www.cccp-project.net/ ), I do not suggest using the mpeg2 decoder but instead force decoding of RAW video for DVDs when you want to watch them (remember to turn off post processing though).

Subs should just be a right click away if you have vob sub installed (which CCCP does). The internal stuff can be a bit outdated.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
That totally did the trick mate, nice one. I think I'm going to have to fiddle with some settings as it's only showing 2 channels of input in the AC3 filter but what better way to learn what all the settings do than to fiddle with them!

Cheers mate, just about to watch Dog Bite Dog again, although this time in proper 5.1! Hooray!

EDIT : Sorted it out now, proper 5.1 on my R3/R6 DVD's. Thanks again mate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4