Hacking A future SX OS update will have extra security to improve protection from bans

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, I highly doubt that's accurate at all. LayeredFS was released very shortly before people first got their hands on SX OS, I'm sure a lot of people who had already preordered SX OS just waited it out. And I've seen plenty of people on here reporting problems playing online with SX OS. The original version even ignored your certificate if you used your own game dump, the very fact that people were able to go online at all is enough to tell you that Team Xecuter did not make any attempts to prevent bans.

They are literally talking out of both sides of their mouths, in the same e-mail they're saying that ALL the bans are due to LayeredFS, and that playing online with game backups is a serious ban risk. At this point, they're blatantly lying.

Because of this, stealing code and not giving credit, and including brick code, they'll never see a dime of my money. I was considering buying an SX Pro unit just for the simplicity and convenience factor of using the dongle, but at this point I'd advise everybody to stear clear of them. Better things are coming for those who wait. We have improvements being made to Atmosphere and LayeredFS, and a new dongle coming from Team Matrix.
I bought the pro specifically for the dongle and jig. I use my dongle now for atmosphere :) haven't used SX os yet. Since the dongle can be used to send any payload.

Rob Blou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not to me or at least that's not how i treat information. Now if 1.3 doesn't contain the said update against bans but 1.4 does it means you did not report the news or info correctly which is misleading by itself. I know you don't mean harm but still people like accurate and on point news and not interpretation especially on the title of the thread.
I agree. I guess my interpretation was as good as their english hahah. The title was changed to be more accurate.

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Google SciresM's post about switch banning on reddit. TLDR, nintendo knows you're using a backup the second you connect to the internet, and you'll be banned
Mr Rock, he never mentioned about updates, when grabbing an update the cert is not verified, you can even update a game with only putting the game once and updating without it

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
>when grabbing an update the cert is not verified

source?
When you insert a cart or xci backup in airplane mode, never ever played before, it ask you to install an update, so the Switch apparently download a patch " list" or something when it's online. You can update carts with just the icon on the homescreen in OFW. I'm not banned, can add me as a friend on Switch, yadspi on twitter or via friend code.

I really think the ban comes when you use layeredFS or play online multiplayer game backups. That's the 2 things I've never done. I'll report if/when I get a ban.

Last edited by yadspi,
Reactions: DarthDub

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but updating it under SX OS is a different thing, is that safe?
If you update through OFW versus CFW, it is theoretically safer because the game could have come from anywhere. If it has a foreign certificate or is missing one, there is a possibility this info is still transmitted to Nintendo when you grab the update. Not to mention, there is evidence to support the Switch being able to retain data that is not cleared through nx-dreport that gets people banned, data such as running SX OS or LayeredFS fully offline.

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
If you update through OFW versus CFW, it is theoretically safer because the game could have come from anywhere. If it has a foreign certificate or is missing one, there is a possibility this info is still transmitted to Nintendo when you grab the update. Not to mention, there is evidence to support the Switch being able to retain data that is not cleared through nx-dreport that gets people banned, data such as running SX OS or LayeredFS fully offline.
Yep, not saying it's safe to update or being online with SX OS but even if Ninty see that I have CFW I'm technically not violating ToS by playing with others online or modding the games

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country

But there's no way to update backups on OFW is there?

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To clarify, updates do not parse the certificate or game authenticity to get auth tokens.

That doesn't mean certificate info isn't being passed. It just means that the update is not asking for it to provide the update data, but for all any one knows, all of this info is being provided regardless as it is an identifier for the game. More likely than not, a lot of information about the game is being handed over directly to Nintendo (not even their bug/telemetry servers) just as an eShop game would be an immediate flag on an account+console combination that doesn't own it.

If/when eShop games start being playable, it will be nigh impossible to go online without immediately copping a ban because the moment it tries to grab an update or parse for updates, the account will throw up a ???? because you don't own the game.

REDNikolai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to save game updates by copying them from the SD card to some other external storage device, and then restore them when needed? Downloading them is slow, copying would be faster, and for game preservation for the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/sg0D1PpgCXs?si=rnzM6Df7jeL6FiPz