A fun homebrew idea!

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Unkn0wn, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unkn0wn
    OP

Unkn0wn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2015
    Hi,

I'm not a homebrew dev for the 3DS as I'm pretty rubbish at C/C++/ASM but I do like to contribute ideas for people who do develop! Anyway, does anyone think we could take advantage of the IR blaster on the top of the console?

I'm asking because it would be awesome to control TV's and stuff with it. You seen devices like the HTC One M7/M8, etc - that can learn TV command codes and re-transmit them? Would be awesome if the 3DS could do so too! Would be great for pranks!

Not sure if this idea is plausible but let me know anyway! Remember - this is an idea, not a request so don't start being bitch and go ranting about "Oh, well why don't you develop it yourself?". I'd make it myself if I knew how.

Codename likes this.
  2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    The 3DS infrared HW isn't compatible with TVs:

"The IR hardware seems to only support IrDA-SIR, other physical protocols such as the one for TV-remotes are not supported(going by the datasheet linked here for a different IC at least)."

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/IR_Services
    Also, we have a stickied thread here for future homebrew ideas. :)

3. Unkn0wn
    OP

Unkn0wn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2015

Oh cool, thanks for the reply. Well, that's a shame that the DS's IR blaster basically sucks... I haven't referred to the 3DBrew site much as I don't think I'd benefit since I don't develop for the device - I guess I should look at it more though. Stupid me...

I wasn't aware of the stickied thread - sorry -_- I guess I'm not always observant.

4. DoJo_Master

DoJo_Master GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    It could be possible to code an app that controls something like XBMC/KODI that way you can use it as a remote!

5. zbw2000

zbw2000 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    if only nintendo decided to do somting with the ir on the 3ds. Its basically a repeat if the gbc's ir

cvskid and DoJo_Master like this.
  6. DoJo_Master

DoJo_Master GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    You could also make the 3ds send out a random IR code and program the IR reader to read that code, instead of vice versa

7. crea

crea GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2013
    Lesotho
    I have a homebrew idea as well.
    Instead of programming an emulator from scratch, take a virtual console game and prgram a tool around it to inject the ROM from a folder to chose from, then execute the VC.

Codename likes this.
  8. JazzCat.CL

JazzCat.CL GBAtemp Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Cote d'Ivoire
    i remember that the psp used to have a homebrew like this, i'm right?

Abcdfv likes this.
  9. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    DoJo_Master likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.