A Free and Good MMORPG

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by JinTrigger, Nov 8, 2010.

Nov 8, 2010

A Free and Good MMORPG by JinTrigger at 12:54 AM (2,134 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    Can someone suggest a good and free MMORPG. I'm currently playing Zomg with my girlfriend, but I'd like something else to play when I'm not playing that. When suggesting them can you give reasons why. Keep in mind that I have a netbook (with 1gb of ram at the moment) and i love things that allow a lot of customization.

So go ahead and shoot me some good MMORPGs to try out....They can be downloadable or playable in browser.....Doesn't matter....and it actually doesn't have to be an RPG (though I prefer and RPG)

2. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
  3. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    Runescape. Free, with 20 quests IIRC. If you become a member you get access to more items, quests, locations. But I've found free to be very fun.

4. pocchama1996

Member pocchama1996 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    +1 Runescape

5. Plasma_Panda

Newcomer Plasma_Panda Member

United States
    Free.

Good.

Pick one.

6. cruznik71450

Member cruznik71450 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm about to try out D&D online i'll let you know how it is when it's done downloading.

7. murkurie

Member murkurie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well Runes of Magic is decent, it's considered a WoW knockoff, not sure if it can run on a netbook though

8. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    as "out of date" the graphics seem at times on runscape i still find myself playing it on and off from time to time. at one point i would log 8 hrs a day playing in the free worlds, now its more like 8 hours every few months due to a lack of time. i still find the game very fun but if you are going to play for free you are really limited to skill points. there are a few quests but your looking at maybe 30 hours of play time to complete them. skilling is where the fun is but its not fun for everyone. i know many people who hate any rpg that makes you work for your levels.

-another world

9. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    I was once addicted to Runescape. It's a great game. [​IMG]

10. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    you're not going to get much of anything of notable quality on a netbook with 1gb of RAM and I say that because I have played many free and not-so-free and I've tried. there are a handful of good f2p MMORPG's that i have tried and have played with my boyfriend, and would therefore recommend to another couple, but none of them would run at anything even marginally playable on that platform.
    hell, i couldn't even run farmville or yoville properly on it >< i did actually try installing one of them (Ether Saga Online) and i was able to start it but it moved at about 1 frame per 4+ seconds. i might suggest Mabinogi (distributed by the same people who support Vindictus: NEXON), but a few expansions have come out since i played it. that one may be weird to get used to with a trackpad because it is a 3d game. it also might run like balls on a netbook even though it's one of those games that is playable at low res with low system requirements. integrated graphics sometimes cause even rather fast computers to screw up older games, that depends on the chipset and OS as much as the game.

if you want something strange and guaranteed to run at full speed on a netbook, try Kingdom of Loathing or do some searching on web-based MMORPGs. KoL has a lot of customization of your character, and has some crazy hilarious content. Don't be thrown off too much that it's so black and white. Also, when I played it, most of the community interaction was through an optional chatroom system that you could load alongside the map/navigation/character panel. I don't know if they've added much more recently. They delete unused accounts after extended inactivity unless you donate to their server costs though (which I did actually do). They are also very serious about disallowing multiple accounts because of its abuse to facilitate cheating and market manipulation, so don't sign up for two accounts from the same computer even at different email addresses unless you're using different browser programs and are good at keeping track of that stuff.

I haven't played many other web baseds outside of facebook (and quit/blocked all the ones in facebook), though I had a few friends that played evony and some others for a while (as much as the ads depict- evony has absolutely nothing to do with titties, it's kind of a strategy game, but problems with botting and people who aren't botting getting banned for it have been claimed).

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    How about something like diablo 2- it will run on just about anything nowadays, you can still quest with others (even on LAN) for many of these games, massive random levels, a good story unlike most MMOs and customisation while maybe not at roguelike levels is still usually up there with the best of them. It might not be free but you can usually pick up a copy from one of those $5 game shelves.

12. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Full Games: Flyff, Fiesta Online, Maplestory, Runes of Magic, Dungeons and Dragons, Allods, Ragnarok, Atlantica, Supreme Destiny, Perfect World, MU, Grand Fantasia, Vindictus, Rappelz, Cabal, Dragonica, Neo Steam, LOTRO, RAN, Tales of Pirates, Trickster

Browser Based: AQ Worlds, Runescape, Travian, Pet Forest/Canaan Online

A Couple that aren't RPG: Pangya, Audition, Highstreet5, DANCE!, Steps

If you guys think that free is bad, you've been too addicted to WoW.

13. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    black prophecy will be free and taikodom also

14. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    This thread is almost a copy of this one. Take a quick look there for a few more suggestions.

EDIT: Missed the part about the netbook. Ignore me [​IMG]

15. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    I have played most of those games. Maplestory, Ragnarok, maaaybe Trickster or MU could be worth a try. I don't know that anything else in that list would be possible. Some definitely won't be. He said he's on a Netbook with 1GB of RAM.

I played Neo Steam in open beta and launch for NA. The servers are utterly effing dead now. I was pretty disappointed by Atlus because I like Atlus, love Steampunk, I levelled several characters across two accounts (so I could try both factions) and spent a bit of money on their cash shop and briefly was a "Gold" premium subscriber. The undeniably broken WASD movement made PVP utterly horrible if you weren't in a group (or a summoner..). Unfortunately multiple inquiries about the WASD movement led to the response that "the game was originally coded to be click-to-move only, and due to tacking on WASD at the last second, certain movements (strafing, if i remember correctly) and improvements to collision detection cannot/won't be made". The inability to fix WASD navigation in a largely PVP-related game made it bomb in the NA market. If they have fixed it by now, it's too late to impress the NA audience if they don't promote a new expansion and/or other major additions also.

Allods is pretty awesome and graphically it's on the level with WoW/LotRO but becomes a considerably slow grind, I think it's worse than Aion's slow grind. Perhaps it's to help boost sales of exp boosts or something.

I don't like Perfect World but they have distributed two somewhat similar games (Ether Saga Online and Jade Dynasty) that I thought were pretty cool but my boyfriend wasn't interested so I didn't pursue playing in them. The games may all look very different but the interfaces and questing winds up boiling down to same stuff, different skin.

I can't believe I've spent so much time this evening thinking about MMO's and I haven't even played any today. I might have to do something about that and step away from the forums.

edit:
    @Originality - it shouldn't be, because he asked about games that would hopefully run on a Netbook with 1GB of ram.

16. CyborGamer

Member CyborGamer GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Only one I can say with confidence you can run at the moment is Grand Chase. It runs perfectly on my netbook, though you may need to lower the graphics with only 1gb RAM.

17. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    +2 RuneScape.

It's recommended to play RuneScape in HD (high detail) for better graphics, but it will consume at least 1/4 of the CPU. Though, you need not worry much about that because you can modify various settings to make it less laggy for better performance of the game. Though, you can also play RuneScape in SD (standard detail) to increase performance, but graphics will lack quality, hence standard detail.

You can play RuneScape via your Internet Browser or the downloadable Windows Client (http://www.runescape.com/downloads/runescape.msi?70910).

I'd also recommend Membership for RuneScape (5.99 USD a month, I think) if you truly like the game and is getting somewhat addicted to it.

18. marmon2

Newcomer marmon2 Member

United States
    League of Legends is fun If your into real time strategy.

19. Maplemage

Member Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Antarctica
    Dragonica
    Soul Master
    Grand Chase
    Vindictus
    Maplestory
    Luna Online
    Those are all awesome games but mostly Dragonica, Soul Master and Maplestory are fun.
    (Maplestory gets boring later so you have to not be VERY VERY VERY! BORED if you wanna play this game)

20. josking

Newcomer josking Advanced Member

Philippines
    I just play Freestyle Basketball. [​IMG]