A few questions about roms

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Rubyheart, May 14, 2014.

1. Rubyheart
    OP

Rubyheart Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2014
    United States
    I have two hopefully quick questions about GBA roms, and hopefully this is the right section. With my flash cart I can rip the rom, and restore it back to the cartridge it came from. My questions are, does it need to be the same game? Like, if I had a Pokemon Ruby cartridge, could I put say, a Sonic Advance rom on it?

My second question is similar, but not quite the same. Can I put homebrew hacks on a retail cartridge? Using Pokemon Ruby from the last example, could I put a "Pokemon Quartzy Onyx (Ruby remake)" rom on it and have it work? (I don't know if that's a real game, but you get the idea.)

2. mikeyt1998

mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

Aug 11, 2007
    Dalton-in-furness, north west
    I'm not sure I understand... You can rip a ROM from an original cartridge onto a GBA flashcart, and you can transfer a ROM from the cart to the original?!

I've never owned GBA flash carts etc so I'm not sure what you're talking about, but if the answer to your first question is yes then the answer to the second is probably yes too, so now ya just have to wait for an answer to this first question i guess XD

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

3. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    No, you can't write to rom. It's a hardcoded memory chip.

Flash carts are called flash carts because they're reusable.

4. Rubyheart
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2014
    United States
    Hm, I could have swore I saw an option to restore the rom as well as the save. Oh well, that's unfortunate.

And I should have specified in the first post, I do not have a gba flash cart, I have two ds flash carts, and a few retail gba games. The R4 and R4I to be percice.

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    OP doesn't understand what is actually a ROM

ROM means Read Only Memory, you can't write it.

the option you saw, was about the saves, cartridges like game boy advance usually have an additional flash\eeprom ( Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) which you can read\write a save on it.

the actual game is still on a rom memory

you can't buy a dvd movie and write another movie on that dvd, can you? (dvd-rom cd-rom etc-rom)

6. Rubyheart
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2014
    United States
    Ahem, thank you for trying to make me look like an idiot. You could have just left it at me admitting I misread the screen, but you had to take it a step further and insult my intelligence. Bravo.

rastsan likes this.
  7. InuYasha

InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    I think you can replace saves on retail carts just not the rom itself,for example a few years ago I took a pokemon emerald save from the computer used a warp code to go where mew was and save it and uploaded to the retail cart but it was with a 3in1 gba flash cart...

8. Isaac

Isaac American

Dec 8, 2012
    United States
    Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
    He wasn't attempting to make you look like an idiot. He was trying to explain to you what a ROM is, and then took a step further to correct your information about restoring the save. He was trying to help you, try to be a bit nicer.

rastsan likes this.