Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a few questions concerning bootmii:
1. Does bootmii completely replace the boot2 or does it just edit a part of it?
2. If it replaces the boot2, what version of boot2 does it install?
3. If i update to 4.2 now, will i be able to downgrade using a 4.1 nand backup? (I have an older boot2 but it will be replaced with boot2v4 which disables older ioses to run (properly), i have older ioses running on my wii which are also in the backup, so actually my question is, will this backup brick my wii?)

sorry if any of these have been answered already but i couldn't find it.
ty for any replies;)

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1.it replaces with it's custom boot2,resulting Bootmii
2.Bootmii is custom boot2,as such number 1
3.if you installed with the latest 0.6 hackmii installer,it will work on 4.2 Wii's,so yes you can backup to 4.1(dunno if it's safe though)

Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it installs stuff to the boot2, but does it completely replace it? Or does it edit a part of the boot2 currently installed? Because if it justs edits it it would mean that when you have the boot2v4 older ioses still refuse to run (properly) right?

Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
razorback78 said:
to the OP, your boot2 will only be updated to v4 if you do it through official means. you could upgrade your wii to 4.2 by using guides here.

I already knew this, I don't want to update, even if I did I undestand enough of the wii right now to update without using a guide, did you even read my questions? And what does to the OP mean?

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gokiller said:
razorback78 said:
to the OP, your boot2 will only be updated to v4 if you do it through official means. you could upgrade your wii to 4.2 by using guides here.

I already knew this, I don't want to update, even if I did I undestand enough of the wii right now to update without using a guide, did you even read my questions? And what does to the OP mean?
OP=Official Post/poster,aka you.also it doesn't matter if you understand how bootmii works does it?It helps you backup and create software-wise brick proof

Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it matter whether I need to know it or not, this is a forum right? So if I want to know something I can ask. Why I want to know is if i'm going to update, will I still be able to run older ioses on my wii after I installed bootmii again. Also I like to know how things work when it comes to wii softmodding, it interests me alot;).

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gokiller said:
Does it matter whether I need to know it or not, this is a forum right? So if I want to know something I can ask. Why I want to know is if i'm going to update, will I still be able to run older ioses on my wii after I installed bootmii again. Also I like to know how things work when it comes to wii softmodding, it interests me alot;).
uhh yes 4.2 only adds stubs,so your older IOS should work,just repatch the truch bug,last note-if you want 4.2 just install IOS 70 then a 4.2 wad

Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
last note-if you want 4.2 just install IOS 70 then a 4.2 wad
Ty for telling me that, but I already knew it;). I already installed ios 70 even though i'm still on 4.1. Also what do stubs (yes I know what stubs are) have to do with older ioses being able or not being able to run? I read some time ago on the hackmii site that the new boot2v4 isn't allowing older ioses to run properly. So does the hackmii installer COMPLETELY overwrite boot2?

rigsbynation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gokiller said:
3. If i update to 4.2 now, will i be able to downgrade using a 4.1 nand backup? (I have an older boot2 but it will be replaced with boot2v4 which disables older ioses to run (properly), i have older ioses running on my wii which are also in the backup, so actually my question is, will this backup brick my wii?)

ty for any replies;)
1. It edits a portion of boot2, it is not a direct replacement
2. It doesn't replace boot2 as said above, just edits it.
3. Interesting question, not sure of the answer. I think you're pretty safe but having not had to do that, I simply don't know. Best bet to get specific answers to that would be irc in #bootmii on Efnet.

Gokiller

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rigsbynation said:
Gokiller said:

ty for any replies;)
1. It edits a portion of boot2, it is not a direct replacement
2. It doesn't replace boot2 as said above, just edits it.
3. Interesting question, not sure of the answer. I think you're pretty safe but having not had to do that, I simply don't know. Best bet to get specific answers to that would be irc in #bootmii on Efnet.

Knowing this, wouldn't it be a good idea to make the hackmii installer replace the boot2 completely? With an older version of boot2 than boot2v4 which includes the parts of bootmii which are normally edited into the boot2 installed on the wii. I mean if nintendo can replace the boot2 so can other programs be made to do it right? This would make downgrading by using a backup like in my case safe, you then atleast know a 100% sure that your wii isn't going to brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday