Hacking A couple of questions about EmuNand

TinyBilbo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I've just installed firmware 2.0b2 on my Gateway and 4.1 3DsXL.

I have taken a Nand backup and created the EmuNand (which works fine).

(I did'nt have any wifi settings in the Ds) So I created a new wifi connection (1) in the EmuNand,
and then checked that there is no wifi connection in the SysNand.

I am aware of the bug that drops you back to SysNand after entering and then leaving settings in the EmuNand.

I want to update the EmuNand to the Latest revision, but am a little bit wary due to the accidental SysNand updates that people have made.

So I have a few questions relating to how to update and whether to update...

1) If I update the EmuNand - is there any chance of accidentally updating the SysNand?
Despite having taken the precautions of
a) having no wifi connection in the SysNand,
b) putting a folder in the SysNand - so as to be aware of which Nand I'm in,
c) seeing GW3D on the settings page.
d) and (most importantly) not leaving the settings page when I enter it to update the SysNand.

2) Do I need EmuNand at all? (and therefore have no need to update)
I'm not exactly sure of the advantages of EmuNand since you can't play online with it.
(and I have no original carts yet).

3) Since this is a brand new 3DsXL with no savegames on it, should I use it in SysNand mode or EmuNand mode?, or should I mix 'n' match depending on whether I'm using backups or originals?
I only ask this because I from what I have read, there is some form savegame corruption when moving from one Nand to another. It seems to me to be preferable to just use the latest EmuNand for every game whether backup or not...

Thanks

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
1 - No, just make sure GW3D is in front of your firmware in the settings app before updating. DON'T EXIT THE SETTINGS APP AFTER SEEING GW3D IN FRONT OF THE FIRMWARE, JUST UPDATE! Also, you need wifi for the update to work.

2 - No, not unless you want to play retail games requiring a higher firmware in classic mode, or want access to the E-Shop.

3 - Mix and match depending on if the cart needs a higher firmware (Retail cart I mean). So if you wanna play Pokemans, use the Emunand classic. This of course, will cause any Nand-based games (Including pokemon) to throw a "Save corrupted" on sysnand (and any other person's 3DS).

TinyBilbo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 - No, just make sure GW3D is in front of your firmware in the settings app before updating. DON'T EXIT THE SETTINGS APP AFTER SEEING GW3D IN FRONT OF THE FIRMWARE, JUST UPDATE! Also, you need wifi for the update to work.

2 - No, not unless you want to play retail games requiring a higher firmware in classic mode, or want access to the E-Shop.

3 - Mix and match depending on if the cart needs a higher firmware (Retail cart I mean). So if you wanna play Pokemans, use the Emunand classic. This of course, will cause any Nand-based games (Including pokemon) to throw a "Save corrupted" on sysnand (and any other person's 3DS).

Thanks for the Info Huntereb,

All good now, with a working 7.1 EmuNand...

The only issue I had was a very slow update (over an hour),
and after updating it only booted the SysNand to a black screen (I tried a half dozen times),
However it booted correctly via the gateway menu, I then answered some question about streetpass,
and now it boots directly to EmuNand without having to use the gateway menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D