ROM Hack 999 Debug Menu?

Cuber456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here is the first scoop of ice cream. I am not usually the type of person who hacks a game to modify sprites but rather I am the type of person who will hack a game to find unused/cut game content. Using my crappy abilities, I have dug into several games to find unused content. One game I have been looking into as of late is 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. I have uncovered a decent amount of unused content left in the game that can be seen HERE. I have also thrown together a list of crappy hacker notes I have made while looking through the game that can be seen HERE. Of course, I wouldn’t have gotten any of this info if it weren’t for Tinke and CrystalTile2. I’ve even been able to figure out the palette and size of most of the images in the BG folder for those of you who have the ROM using CrystalTile2. I’m still hoping that a future version of Tinke will eventually support palettes for images in the BG folder since it is tedious to go look at those images with CrystalTile2.

So now for the second and real scoop of ice cream. Using Tinke, it is possible to stumble across two debug files in the ETC folder. Looking at one of the files(debug.dat) in a hex editor, unsurprisingly, reveals that it contains the contents of a debug menu as shown HERE. I have been trying to figure out how to get/force the game to properly load these debug files but, because I suck, I have yet to do so. I’m not sure what to do. I don’t want to waste time trying to load these files without hearing what other people have to say. What could I do to load these debug files? Is there some way I can get the game to load these files properly or perhaps see if there is code somewhere in the ROM that makes a call to these files?

Thanks!

Cuber456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gee, I would have thought at least one person would have posted some type of response to me by now............. :(

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
some things of interest please don't mind my sarcasm... you know you are missing files that were there for testing. those files were removed as they weren't needed anymore. The debug menu isn't needed anymore. Take that as a hint and leave things as they are or ask the developers for the test version. Since I am not curious enough to even bother looking through this more than 5 minutes... sigh. options - file dupe find similar files and rename your debug files to them and replace then test.
though honestly those missing files from the earlier test version tell me this may not work. next an action replay codes that forces those files to be loaded. This should be done with an asm action replay code. press these buttons to turn on, these to turn off, then its just finding the right spot to hook your code in. (if you are interested in this look up nds trainers with an actual menu option).
try waiting more than a few days before bumping. as you could have easily just edited the first/previous post, okay.
now for the terribly sarcastic part there is a debug code that does exactly what a developer who is debugging needs. Just because the menu you were expecting to pop up doesn't pop up doesn't mean that that isn't exactly what those debug files are supposed to do.

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Nothing strange; there are always leftovers in games.
Even in AAI2 there is the dialog of the demo in it and somewhere in the arm9 you see this:
langz.png

from times when Capcom still wanted to localize it.

Reactions: GHANMI

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello