Homebrew RELEASE 90DNS: DNS server for blocking all Nintendo Servers

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I had to update python since I already had it installed, apparently. After that, though, the script told me I was good to go. Okay, so checking out of the way, let's put this DNS server on my switch. Hey, it's connected to wifi but seems to be blocking all Nintendo junk! Look at that, no news even! Sweet. Let's try using the Homebrew App Store. Error, restart switch. Okay, probably a fluke, let's go again. Error, restart switch. Again? Okay, it's broken on mine. Let me guess, this also has something to do with RajNX? Boot without LayeredFS support since that breaks some things. Nope, still not working. Well, since this is the only custom firmware that is extensible enough to let me choose whether or not to use LayeredFS, I guess I'm not going to be able to make use of it. Pity. Thanks for the work though.

mdmachine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I had to update python since I already had it installed, apparently. After that, though, the script told me I was good to go. Okay, so checking out of the way, let's put this DNS server on my switch. Hey, it's connected to wifi but seems to be blocking all Nintendo junk! Look at that, no news even! Sweet. Let's try using the Homebrew App Store. Error, restart switch. Okay, probably a fluke, let's go again. Error, restart switch. Again? Okay, it's broken on mine. Let me guess, this also has something to do with RajNX? Boot without LayeredFS support since that breaks some things. Nope, still not working. Well, since this is the only custom firmware that is extensible enough to let me choose whether or not to use LayeredFS, I guess I'm not going to be able to make use of it. Pity. Thanks for the work though.

If I recall, The homebrew appstore that comes with RajNX is faulty. Look around for an update, and it works fine.
I think the SD Card updater app does the trick too, it also adds a bunch of ReiNX stuff, but it doesn't seem to effect RajNX either way.
90DNS works great, has nothing to do with that issue AFAIK.

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I recall, The homebrew appstore that comes with RajNX is faulty. Look around for an update, and it works fine.
I think the SD Card updater app does the trick too, it also adds a bunch of ReiNX stuff, but it doesn't seem to effect RajNX either way.
90DNS works great, has nothing to do with that issue AFAIK.
I got the proper version of the Appstore from here. Unfortunately I tried to use FTP to delete that folder, and it somehow glitched out and deleted many of the cfw files and everything in my /switch/ folder instead. Uh, lame. Luckily it didn't actually touch any of the installed games, so that's nice. I apparently caught it while it was working its way through my screenshots, because about 2/3 of those are gone. Yeah, don't use FTPD to do any serious modifications, it could screw up. Anyway, after getting my stuff back (mostly) I was able to get the Homebrew App Store to boot and install a few apps. Sideloaded a few with FTPD, which I'm glad I can use again for small things. I guess RajNX does have a faulty version installed with it. Thanks for the heads up!

mdmachine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the proper version of the Appstore from here. Unfortunately I tried to use FTP to delete that folder, and it somehow glitched out and deleted many of the cfw files and everything in my /switch/ folder instead. Uh, lame. Luckily it didn't actually touch any of the installed games, so that's nice. I apparently caught it while it was working its way through my screenshots, because about 2/3 of those are gone. Yeah, don't use FTPD to do any serious modifications, it could screw up. Anyway, after getting my stuff back (mostly) I was able to get the Homebrew App Store to boot and install a few apps. Sideloaded a few with FTPD, which I'm glad I can use again for small things. I guess RajNX does have a faulty version installed with it. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem.

RajNX also includes sysftp module. It's always running in the background, port 5000. I updated mine (think speed optimizations and such), but the included build seemed stable.

sirAnger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately I tried to use FTP to delete that folder, and it somehow glitched out and deleted many of the cfw files and everything in my /switch/ folder instead. Uh, lame. Luckily it didn't actually touch any of the installed games, so that's nice. I apparently caught it while it was working its way through my screenshots, because about 2/3 of those are gone.

Smells like the exFAT issue. Are you using that?

Kevin Beam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to assume this won't work if the console is already banned right? My is superbanned, I just want to transfer save data without modding my new switch at all.

xmp8851

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Applied DNS and it works nice.

If Nintendo add server and change server's ip address, how can I know and what should I do?

Deleted member 442567

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey all!

90DNS is a DNS and HTTP setup running together to block all Nintendo traffic while 1) passing connection test without connecting to Nintendo servers 2) allowing anything that isn't Nintendo (so you can still enjoy homebrew).

People tried a number of games that are not using Nintendo servers for online play (fortnite, paladins, hulu) and reported that they do not work.

We (as LavaTech) actually did this half a month ago and released it on reddit, but it seems like people all around the scene were interested in it so I guess it's time to release it here too.

Here's the GitLab repo, it has the code, configs and the self-host guide (it's a bit too confusing and complicated to put here).

WORKS ON 6.0.0 BUT AS ALWAYS, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. (also rip I accidentally banned myself during 6.0.0 tests)

Setup Instructions

Optional: If you really want to be sure that 90DNS will protect you, then you can test for DNS hijacks (done sometimes by ISPs) by running the 90DNS tester. Just install the latest version of Python (works on both 2 and 3), install dnspython ("pip install dnspython"), get the script, run it on command line. If you get "It should be safe to use 90DNS on this network.", then it should be all good. If you don't get that, follow the self-host guide.
  • Go to System Settings
  • Go to Internet tab
  • Open Internet Settings
  • If you already have a wifi network: Tap on your wifi network, pick Change Settings
  • If you don't have a wifi network added, open Manual Setup and set up your network name, SSID and Security
  • Set DNS Settings to Manual, and set primary DNS to "163.172.141.219" and secondary DNS to "45.248.48.62"
  • Save and then connect to wifi
Success, all Nintendo servers should now be blocked on your Switch.

Disclaimer

Obviously, use this at your own risk. While I used it without getting banned and so did many others, Nintendo is unpredictable so I can't guarantee that this will prevent a ban.

Going online without 90DNS or a similar solution may result in a ban as it'll send telemetry to Nintendo, so I don't recommend doing that. If you really want to go online, just restore to a NAND backup taken before your bannable actions.

I Love You and this DNS. 90DNS is the King feel hugged from me

Reactions: AveSatanas

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yep, my SD card has been on exFAT since launch as it's 128GB. A fact that is non-negotiable since I have several files that exceed 4GB in size.
The fact is that if you continue to use exFAT, it will happen again.

XCI files can be split, 4GB+ NSP files can be installed using network install. Games always split into 4GB chunks when installed.

Reactions: SaffronXL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: