Homebrew RELEASE 90DNS: DNS server for blocking all Nintendo Servers

ShyPlox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m getting unblocked on all when I test, not sure why anyone no what else I can do to get around this?

Alchemy_Gaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way he mentioned it is that they overwrite your DNS settings. If that's the case, then Ave may not be able to do much about it.
It might not even be an issue since it seems to be enabling a local network for local wireless play. I still don’t know what’s going on with it but I felt like it would be courteous to mention it here since no one else had :)

raytan168

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi, I just got my switch recently and I not sure whether this has been answered elsewhere in the thread or forum but I would like to know if my console region is set on the US but I stay somewhere else not in the US, should I follow the EU dns setting or the US dns setting? Is it based on my console region or based on my real location where my internet is used (is it better to set the one closer to my physical location)? Thanks.

Last edited by raytan168,

raytan168

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi, i downloaded the 90DNS Tester software from the gitlab page, it get the result of 2/6 tests suceeded and it is *NOT SAFE* to use 90dns on this server. But when I visited the 90dns.test site, it said I successfully connected to 90dns and happy hacking. I am from Asia and using EU dns as primary and the US dns as secondary. So do I safe to use my wifi (private network) to connect 90dns on my switch ?

Attachments

• 90DNS.jpg
    90DNS.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 395
Last edited by raytan168,

thathuttsfollower

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by this.

Here's some attempts at answering what you probably meant:

Q: Am I supposed to keep it on all the time?
A: Yes, you do keep it on all the time. Turning it off will send telemetry data to N, and you'll probably be banned.

Q: How long will you keep the server on? Always?
A: I do plan to keep the official DNS servers up for at least one more year, but if people are still using it then, I'll keep it up for more.

Q: Will it work on all software updates?
A: Yeah, it should work on 1.0.0-5.1.0. Might even work on 3DS or Wii U, though I only tested it on Switch (please let me know if it works on them). I can't comment on future software updates, that's up to Nintendo.

If your question isn't any of those, please feel free to ask again with a more clear wording.
What does "Keep it all the time" mean? Does that mean i i need to keep the switch connected to only one wi-fi or what?

ARTEMKA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, i installed it, the app says that its safe, blah blah blah. ...but it doesn't actually block update servers. idk why, but it just doesnt block em. What do i do?

Txustra

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Is something wrong with the servers? Dowload speed is now reduced by 95%. I used to download with tinfoil at 6mb/s and now I have 0.5mb/s

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
  • If you live in North or South America: Set primary DNS to "207.246.121.77", and secondary DNS to "163.172.141.219".
  • If you live anywhere else: Set primary DNS to "163.172.141.219", and secondary DNS to "207.246.121.77".
I live in Central America, does this count for "anywhere else"? I'm asking because you know, people tend to forget we exist :P

Shadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all!

90DNS is a DNS and HTTP setup running together to block all Nintendo traffic while 1) passing connection test without connecting to Nintendo servers 2) allowing anything that isn't Nintendo (so you can still enjoy homebrew).

People tried a number of games that are not using Nintendo servers for online play (fortnite, paladins, hulu) and reported that they do not work.

YouTube doesn't work unless you launch it once before using 90DNS, but I heard that there's a file that's going around that you can install that bypasses the online checks. Dig for that if you're interested.

We (as LavaTech) actually did this half a month ago and released it on reddit, but it seems like people all around the scene were interested in it so I guess it's time to release it here too.

Here's the GitLab repo, it has the code, configs and the self-host guide (it's a bit too confusing and complicated to put here).

WORKS ON ALL FIRMWARES BUT AS ALWAYS, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

You might get system updates, that's normal, and doesn't mean that bannable data is sent to Nintendo.

Setup Instructions

Optional: If you really want to be sure that 90DNS will protect you, then you can test for DNS hijacks (done sometimes by ISPs) by running the 90DNS tester. Just install the latest version of Python (works on both 2 and 3), install dnspython ("pip install dnspython"), get the script, run it on command line. If you get "It should be safe to use 90DNS on this network.", then it should be all good. If you don't get that, follow the self-host guide.
  • Go to System Settings
  • Go to Internet tab
  • Open Internet Settings
  • If you already have a wifi network: Tap on your wifi network, pick Change Settings
  • If you don't have a wifi network added, open Manual Setup and set up your network name, SSID and Security
  • Set DNS Settings to Manual
  • If you live in North or South America: Set primary DNS to "207.246.121.77", and secondary DNS to "163.172.141.219".
  • If you live anywhere else: Set primary DNS to "163.172.141.219", and secondary DNS to "207.246.121.77".
  • Save and then connect to your wifi
Success, all Nintendo servers should now be blocked on your Switch.

Regarding claims of not blocking updates

I can't reproduce this issue after EXTENSIVE testing. If you have this issue then please run tester, and if it does succeed, DM me. If not, call your ISP and blame them.

Disclaimer

Obviously, use this at your own risk. While I used it without getting banned and so did many others, Nintendo is unpredictable so I can't guarantee that this will prevent a ban.

Going online without 90DNS or a similar solution may result in a ban as it'll send telemetry to Nintendo, so I don't recommend doing that. If you really want to go online, just restore to a NAND backup taken before your bannable actions.
I don't know why but Minecraft surpasses the DNS. It tries to connect to the Nintendo Network but I get an error screen from already being banned. : P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: