Homebrew RELEASE 90DNS: DNS server for blocking all Nintendo Servers

jellybones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to have quite the dumb problem, nothing exactly to do with the DNS itself. But I can't do manual wifi setup because my apartment's wifi for this floor is more than 15 characters, the max the Switch lets me input for some inane reason. It's been suggested in the discord I disconnect the wifi and connect automatically without the network being up, but I don't want to really do that and potentially cause issues with other people on this floor.

AveSatanas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
I finally got a chance to investigate claims of 90dns not blocking updates.
For me, it blocks updates just fine.

If you're facing that issue, send a message on LavaTech discord mentioning me, a DM here or an email on [email protected] with:
- Your OFW version (6.1.0 etc)
- Your hardware region (XAJ/XAW etc, first 3 letters of your console serial)
- Your console region (Europe, The Americas etc, can be found on system settings -> system -> region)
- Whether you're logged in to a nintendo account or not
- If you are, your nintendo account's region

Migush

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Right now this dns is blocking all traffing for 'nintendo.net' right? Would it be possible to redirect all nintendo.net requests to something like google.com?
If we disable the whitelist (by allowing all domains) of the eshop, would it then be possible to access google.com?

Last edited by Migush,
Reactions: Mothafuckka

spongee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so about the dns if I was to put it back to automatic would I be good to go on Nintendo servers? (such as online games and eshop)

Atratus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm..seems to be a bug on my switch. I deleted the whole settings & re-key in the DNS. All working fine now.

I was having some issues as well. I could download stuff in retroarch, but couldn't access the homebrew shop. Then it would, and then wouldn't. I think it is just having some random issues.

AveSatanas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Right now this dns is blocking all traffing for 'nintendo.net' right? Would it be possible to redirect all nintendo.net requests to something like google.com?
If we disable the whitelist (by allowing all domains) of the eshop, would it then be possible to access google.com?
It blocks all traffic for nintendo.net and all of the subdomains, along with many, many other N sites just to be safe.

Obv, we could forward the captive portal to google, but that goes against the point of 90dns, as it'd prevent a connection from being done, and I think captive portal URLs get logged as of 6.1.0, though I don't think that N banned anyone for that yet.

Anyways, it's really out of scope for 90dns. If you want something for it, check out switchbru dns (aka forthepeople dns).

so about the dns if I was to put it back to automatic would I be good to go on Nintendo servers? (such as online games and eshop)

If you didn't do anything bannable (Installing homebrew or pirated NSPs, using XCIs, modding online games etc), did a factory reset, did a console initialization or restored a clean NAND backup, yes.

Otherwise, no.

Last edited by AveSatanas,

Coreyosaur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing this!
I wanted to make sure it would work with my network, so I went through the work to run the python script. I haven't used python before, so here's what I went through from a noobs perspective (may be useful to someone else)

Downloaded python 3.7.2 (I think) from python website. Opened IDLE python 3.7.2 shell (start -> python -> IDLE python). Then I copy pasted the script you posted in the main post. Hitting enter gave an error on the second line of code, hilighting "include sys". (It was probably a different problem explained below)

I ended up downloading another compiler/environment to try. I downloaded PyCharm. I created a new python program, named it 90dnstester.py like what you pasted, then ran it. (From top bar, select run). It gave a more reasonable error that I needed to install "pip install dnspython". I didn't know how to do that. I downloaded dnspython (not dnspython3) and tried typing into PyCharm "pip install dnspycharm" as it said, knowing it has no idea where those files are downloaded. Obviously it failed. I couldn't figure out how to install, so I unzipped the dnspython download and started copy pasting it into each folder of the PyCharm install. (I believe it worked after pasting in the c:/users/(your user)/python directory tree.). Then tried rerunning 90dnstester.py and it worked!

I probably could have just pasted the dnspython files into the python directory and ran it through the stock IDLE Python software, but whatever :)

Hope this helps another noob like me make sure the network is safe!

Comcast ISP, Surfboard modem, Netgear router.

Last edited by Coreyosaur,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup