Gaming 8 players on one Wii?

Ernie Pantuso

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii has a place to plug in 4 (wired - presumably Game Cube) controllers... if I did that, could I potentially have 8 people playing simultaneously (on games that support that)? If I could get 8 people playing Bomberman Blast, I'd definitely head over to ebay and pick up some GC controllers.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the Wiimote's spot is overridden by the GameCube controller.

At least this is the case in my experience.

Orsted

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
blog.lukiegames.com
XP
Country
United States
No it doesn't really work that way. The ports are just to let you use Gamecube controllers for certain games that allow you to(i.e.Bomberman, Super Smash Bros., Fire Emblem, and those downloadable games.) Though I might be wrong, who knows. . . I haven't heard of any 8 player Wii games yet.

Edit: Curses Beaten to the punch.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I don't think the GC controllers actually overrides the Wii Remote, but I do think all the games on the Wii were developed to recognize the GC controller over the Wii Remote in situations where a controller in slot whatever is interrupting with remote number whatever.

I actually think it's possible that 8-player simultaneous can be done, but game developers will not look into this. 8-player split-screen would be pretty harsh on the Wii's hardware (emulating the game on 8 different screens essentially), and games with 8 characters on one map would likely overpower the hardware with so many button clicks and such to process.

tisti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Bomberman on VC can support 8 players
smile.gif

Reactions: Tarmfot

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
Well Bomberman '93 and Battle Lode Runner both support 5 players using a combination of GC and Wiimote/Classic Controllers because the PC Engine supports 5 controllers with the multitap. This proves that it's not a hardware limitation so it's entirely possible for a Wii game to support 8 players.

Ernie Pantuso

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses!

tisti said:
smile.gif
Are you talking about Bomberman Blast (WiiWare)? Or some other version of Bomberman? I'd appreciate a link, if you can round one up!

prowler_ said:
QUOTE(tisti @ Sep 5 2010, 12:37 PM) Bomberman on VC can support 8 players
smile.gif
I was just about to say Bomberman.
I've played with 6 players at once.
Sweet! Do you remember how you did it? (4 wiimotes + 2 GC controllers? 3 and 3?) Also, what version of Bomberman?

I have WiiWare Bomberman Blast, and it supports 8 players (total) but I'm just not sure if all 8 can play on the same Wii - or if you have to do 4+4 on two Wiis via wifi.

farcry15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ernie Pantuso said:
Thanks for the responses!

tisti said:
smile.gif
Are you talking about Bomberman Blast (WiiWare)? Or some other version of Bomberman? I'd appreciate a link, if you can round one up!

prowler_ said:
QUOTE(tisti @ Sep 5 2010, 12:37 PM) Bomberman on VC can support 8 players
smile.gif
I was just about to say Bomberman.
I've played with 6 players at once.
Sweet! Do you remember how you did it? (4 wiimotes + 2 GC controllers? 3 and 3?) Also, what version of Bomberman?

I have WiiWare Bomberman Blast, and it supports 8 players (total) but I'm just not sure if all 8 can play on the same Wii - or if you have to do 4+4 on two Wiis via wifi.
wikipedia says it supports 8 player offline play

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some turbo graifx games support 5 players so one gc paddle is needed also bomberman blast is the only 8 player one i can think of...

woot 1,400 post now i may change my avatar maybe for this...

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
DJPlace said:
some turbo graifx games support 5 players so one gc paddle is needed also bomberman blast is the only 8 player one i can think of...

woot 1,400 post now i may change my avatar maybe for this...

PLEASE..!!
tongue.gif

TheJorsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slightly related:
I seem to remember a Gecko/Ocarina code for Brawl a while back that let you add a 5th player.
Does anyone know what happened with that?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Ernie Pantuso said:

Three Wii remotes and three gamecube controllers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Never fight uphill, me boys.